What's new

I have new respect for Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- I feel exactly the same way about my MC-8. I love it, but it's a lot of cash sitting on my rack. I'll be super curious when the reviews of components with DPL IIx start to surface and if it can be considered true competition to Logic 7. I really like Logic 7, but it wasn't the quantum jump in surround sound processing that I had convinced myself that it would be. :)

One more, since there are some people here who actually like Yamaha... :) Doesn't it piss you off when people who don't know anything post that Yamaha receivers are "bright" and "forward" just because that's what other people say? I personally never found the RX-V793 "bright". Neutral, revealing, accurate. That's all I heard.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,

Not that I don't own a bunch of Yamaha equipment, I do (DSP A-1000, CDC675 CD changer, FM tuner) but I must say all Yamaha HT receivers I've listened to (except the new series which I haven't heard yet) do tend to sound bright and harsh to me, including my A-1000. Just something everyone has a preference for. I also never liked their fakey surround modes or front effects speakers, again just my preferences.

Luis A

Second Unit
The only Yamaha receivers I didn't find bright are the new batch, and also the DSP-A1. The new batch of receivers have lost that harshness that have plagued older Yammies like the 2092, 2095, Z1, 2200, 630, and 730 which I have tried. All are great receivers, just with a bit of harsness on the top end, but I'd be proud to own any of them over any other brand.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Dalton,

You appear to be just as much of a freak as I am. I have actually gone through 30 different amps in the last 7 years or so (Im not even exagerating) plus have had the dc-1,dc-2,mc-1,mc-8,sony 777es,da5es,hk8000,denon 3200,3300,3801,3802,4802,onkyo797,adcom 860 and Im sure Im missing a few. Im happy with my current amps and am done with that merry-go-round. Also I have recently went from the nht 2.9s/ac-2 to the new nht evolutions and Im done with that too. I gotta say half the fun for me has been trying new equipment. From here on out the only thing that will be changing from time to time in my system will be the processor.

Bruce,

All your points are valid and questions that I would like answered as well. Also you right about the YPAQ not helping in the lower bass regions. A person could always supplyment YPAO with a BFD for lower bass and be covered across the board it seems. Having said that I believe in this case something is better then nothing and I like the fact that the eq is done in the digital domain and can be run on auto-pilot. I leveled my system manually with a meter and listened to some movies before using the eq. There IS a difference in favor of the eq imo no doubt. Im personally not worried about clipping because I believe I have plenty of power to start with and my speakers/room were relatively flat ( didnt have anything higher or lower then 5 db or so)

Kevin,

Yea, once a product gets a reputation deserved or otherwise its almost impossible to change the mob's opinion. This is my first Yamaha and can say imo it is by no means "bright". It does however seem more detailed to me then most of the other recievers Ive owned which is exactly what I was looking for. The rs232 port may make the rx-v2400 plIIx upgradeable?

How can I say this...hmm. Well to me the mc-8 is priced correctly and a hell of a piece. What changed for me was I decided to lower my own personal "law of diminishing return" . Now when I listen to my system Im thinking, the rx-v2400 sounds great and for a tiny little fraction of the cost the downgrade doesnt compute to the money I pocketed.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
HT Addiction should be listed in medical dictionaries as a sickness!:) Although i must confess that i wouldn't want to be cured! Just want it to be a little easier on the wallet!

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a DSP-A1 for the last five years and love it. I almost replaced it a year ago with a Denon 3802 as I wanted to get into 7.1, but the Denon just couldn't satisfy me like the Yamaha. I'm now considering upgrading to one of the new Yamahas, most likely the 2400. I'd love to get the Z9, but that's way out of my price range. I do hate giving up the front effects channels as I think they add quite a bit overall. Does anyone know if a 3400 is in the works with 9.1?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Another Happy Yamaha Owner here I'm running an RX-V730 and love it thought I'm highly considering upgrading to one of this years models with the YPAO feature. This is what I get for not waiting another year before I bought all my gear. At anyrate I'm quite happy with mine its perfect for my Apartment living room and has a nice clean sound even when playing at higher levels. I bought it just on prior experience with Yamaha quality as far as DSP and selling them retail for several years. The DSP is phenomenal! So anyone interested in buying a 730 thats less than a year old with original box/remote/manual :)

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Both the rx-v1400 (mine!) and the 2400 have 9.1 capabilities. The allow you to hook up 2 front effects channels besides ther main channels, so I don't see any reason why you're not on your way to the store.:emoji_thumbsup:

-Vic

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Vic,

Thanks for the response. After I read it, I checked out the 1400/2400 specs more closely and noticed the 'presence' channels. From what I read though it appears you can assign the rear channel amps to power the presence channels. This would mean you can't have all nine speakers going at once as there are only 7 amplifiend channels. The Z9 list 170w for the primary 7 channels and 50w for the 2 presence channels. The 1400/2400 don't give a seperate rating for the presence channels. Would you mind checking your receiver's manual and see how it discusses running the presence channels? Thanks!

Jim

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I have the 2095 as well. It is an awesome amp, I don't see a need to upgrade. However I wouldn't knock back a DSP1 or the newer equvilant.

The Yammy never gets pushed over the 1/4 mark. Which seems loud enough for me. At least my floor rumbles at this level.

Regards

AXE

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have been keeping a eye on this Thread and I think I might be willing to try out a Yamaha. I was going to go with a H/K 325 or Denon 1803 but since I have $250 in BB gift cards maybe I ought to try one out. I was thinking of the 5650 or the 60? One thing I do notice is the lack of bass management. I think they cross at 90? Is this the case? I kind of like the Cinema EQ function on the receiver I use now and I was wondering if the Yammys had a function like this that they just call something different?

I run B&W 602's S3 along with three 25-31cs+s with the port blockers in. I guess the only way to see if I would like it would be to bring one home and and see how it teams up?

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

I checked the manual. You can run all 9.1 speakers at one. It doesn't say how many watts the presence channels have. You hook them up to the presence/zone 2 speaker outputs, and everything is a go for you. :emoji_thumbsup:

-Vic

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
The ADJUSTABLE crossover setting's on the rx-v2400 are 40,60,80,90,100,120,160,200.

It is global however (at least in manual mode), but there is some question if the auto-eq uses diffferent crossovers for each speaker..the manual isnt really clear on this and actually contradicts itself.Im thinking about calling Yamaha to get a specific answer,

Im not sure exactly waht the cinema eq is...but it does have a surround enhancement that lets you adjust for room size width and depth,delays,livenes etc. and this mode can be overlaid on anything as far as I can tell.

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Vic,

I went to my local Hi-Fi dealer (Tweeter) today and saw the 1400. I was able to look at the owner's manual. It stated that while you can have both the rear and presence speakers connected at the same time, only one set can be amplified. The rear is amplified when a EX/ES track is on the DVD, otherwise it amplifies the presence channels. I'm thinking I might be able to live without the presence channels so I haven't given up on it yet. They are haveing a 10% off sale through the weekend so I will give it some thought over the next couple days. Worst case is I can try it and return it if I'm not happy.

Jim

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Neil I think it was a 650? But don't know for sure I'll run over there and check it out. It didn't seem to have many features on it (usuable ones that is). I find myself not using any enhancements when it comes to receivers. How do you know if your changing the sound from what it was intended to sound like. And if your doing it for the better or worst. Then what you do for one movie may sound different for another movie.

So when it comes to EQ's and different sound modes and what not. I choose to not use that stuff. When I had a Sony receiver the function I really like on it was a feature that did auto detect or what ever the source was sending that's all it would play. But the Sony also had cinema a, b, and c. But it would add more treble, add more bass depending on which one you choose. That's why I always do direct from the source. On the Pioneer I have now it's called standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks