What's new

I applaud United Artists Theaters - their no pager policy. (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Ian,
No, you see, if you HAD booed him, all he would've done is tell the audience he was an Important Somebody who was mandated by a Higher Authority to receive calls, which (as we all have been taught here) takes precedence over the enjoyment of others. And, of course, the audience would've said a unified, embarrased, "Ohhhhhhhhhh,", realized *their* error, and return to the show as the Gentleman continued his conversation or checked his page or whatever he had to Do.
:)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Dana,

I know you put a smilie, but I don't recall reading any post by the 24/7/365 people advocating letting ANYONE abuse other patrons by having their pager on audible or talking on their phone inside the theater or that our job takes precedent over the enjoyment of others. MOF, most of us are of the opinion that those abusers suffer ejection, humiliation and scorn (and in some cases, beheading). No one stated that patrons who are disturbed by a pager/phone are in *error* and just don't understand about the "Important Somebody". I'm no "Important Somebody", I'm just a guy who could lose his very fullfilling job if I miss too many pages.
When you wear a pager like I do and your job depends upon it, you become quite aware of when it should be on audible or vibrate. I can change mine without even looking at it, it's so automatic -- Got to movies -> vibrate. Go to loud bar -> vibrate. Go to sleep -> audible. Am I a problem to movie goers? Yes, but not the way you think. You see, I'm of the opinion that if some idiot wrecks my movie going experience for ANY reason, they are going to hear it from me. I will rain down scorn and humiliation and cast dispersions upon their ancestors and descendants all in the time it takes to get an usher to bounce them out on their inconsiderate little fannies (if the theater is the cooperative type). I then sit back basking in the glow of appreciation from my fellow patrons and enjoy a cell phone, pager, crying infant, running commentary, chair kicking and teenage giggling free show, my trusty pager on vibrate for all the world *not* to hear.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I realize that, John; it was sort-of something that somebody said a while back that irked the living hell outta me and has stuck with me through this entire thread:
The implication is that the one with the device has a higher priority than the one who has paid to receive entertainment, so those who find the interruptions irritating should just sit in their chair and deal with it rather than try to implement a solution that eliminates the problem of (a) having to interrupt the audience with an usher and ruining his/her (and others') paid entertainment, (b) having the potential of physical violence upon confrontation of rude individuals.
It's frustrating to see when somebody suggests that pro-shielding should not be supported because it leaves a responsible group out in the cold, but the "solution" given by many anti-shielders is NOT a solution at all, but instead just wishful thinking. I don't want to delve into politics, but it is the same mindset given for pro-death-penalty positions: If you enforce it the problem will go away. It may be debatable whether that problem is diminished, but (even in the strictest regions of the world) it is NOT debatable if the problem has been ELIMINATED (it hasn't, obviously). And this cell-phone problem most certainly will not go away if people are threatened with removal by force -- you will ALWAYS have assholes no matter what the policies are. And since all it takes is one asshole in a crowd to potentially ruin an experience for hundreds, why not start with the shielding as a temporary band-aid that WILL stop the problem NOW, and then work on more amenable solutions, like implementing a force-to-vibrate standard, or a registrar of emergency frequences that are illegal to dampen but where a person must register (like a driver's license) to obtain access...
The problem must be dealt with NOW, or there will be continuing, escalating problems in this arena.
I think the problem is right now too pervasive for physical intervention to work except on the long term. I think it needs to be a 2-pronged approach -- let theatres shield whatever they want (which they can legally do today if they wanted to incur the expense), and once the band-aid has been applied, go for the long haul of trying to deal with the (overall less but still prevalent problem) of improper vocal noise (which may, if eventually healed, solve the phone etiquette problem as well).
My 8c :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
but the disease itself goes merrily on
I agree, but if you don't yet HAVE a cure for the real problem you still treat the symptoms to relieve some of the suffering, right?
When you find the cure for rudeness, make sure to let us all know.
And I don't consider "having to police everyone else myself" as a "cure". When the hell did it become MY JOB to make sure that what I paid for the theater to do gets done, even if I have to do it?? What's next, the theater calls me at home and has me come in early to make my own popcorn because Jimmy called in sick?
okay, enough being a smartass
Here's one humorous method that would be fun with digital theaters...have a "watcher" in the theater. As soon as someone acts up enough to be removed the watcher hits the pause on the film, turns up the houselights, and asks you to leave in front of everyone (who are all staring at you at this point). A little disruptive, but a bit fun too. :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Better yet, hand out bats and make the inconsiderate bastard run a gauntlet. ( See, who says I'm taking this seriously. :) )
- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm telling y'all, that scene in Scary Movie with the crowd beating the crap out of the inconsiderate cell phone user is the way to go!
:D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
1. Run Scary Movie clip
2. Voice-over: "You wouldn't want this to happen to you, would you? Didn't think so. Now turn off the f*ckin' phone, asswipe!"
Would work like a charm :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Here's one humorous method that would be fun with digital theaters...have a "watcher" in the theater. As soon as someone acts up enough to be removed the watcher hits the pause on the film, turns up the houselights, and asks you to leave in front of everyone (who are all staring at you at this point). A little disruptive, but a bit fun too.
That'd be great. Also the Scary Movie Warning Trailer!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
THAT'S IT! NO MORE OF THIS!!
ALL movies are to be done directly to video! No more theaters! All theaters are to be demolished and made into fast-food joints!
This will take care of the problems and concerns brought forth by the Cell-Phone-Cyborg crowd and those on the opposite end of the spectrum who wish to decapitate those who merely fart to loudly in the theater!
Demolision of all theatrical chains will begin as soon I become Supreme Dictator of the World which will be in a shorter amount of time than you mere, mortal humans expect!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
John Berger, of course we could go one step further and the gov't could shutdown all movie production. Not only would this solve all the theater problems mentioned, but a host of other problems such as poor DVD quality, OAR vs. MAR, high cost of some DVD's and equipment. Just imagine the possibilities!
mwahahaha...mwahahaha

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The fools who would support MAR would crumble at my feet -- and not from not washing them, mind you.

The anti-widescreen, politically-correct-to-a-fault company known as DISNEY would beg for mercy, yet those begs would fall on uncaring ears!!

FETCH THE COMFY CHAIR!!!

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I, of course, agree with the cell phone policy. Any drop of noise is a theater if appreciated. Not to change emphasis of the thread, but following its flow and with careful consideration, I would have to say there is a far greater evil that disturbs my enjoyment of films. That is... people's squawling brats! If you think cell phone users push the line, think they are superior, etc., they can in no way compare to these parents who drag their children to adult and late night movies. They refuse to leave when the child starts crying and essentially use the child as a shield from any potential hostility they would receive from the audience.."how can you ask us to leave? She's only a baby." I have been tempted to offer to pay for their baby sitters just for my enjoyment.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Thanks Anthony_H, I agree that is another very upsetting distraction.
I can see it coming now. Kids will be banned from theaters because they might make noises. Heck, then we could even make having children a crime. :)
But in all seriousness, people should think much more about which movies they will bring young children along to. And either get a sitter, or at least be courteous enough to go out of the auditorium with the kid if the kid starts crying, making a fuss or will not stop talking.
Again, it boils down more to far too many people are totally inconsiderate of others, these days. I just wish we could work on that instead of trying to use our efforts to get some sort of clandestine jamming for cell phones/pagers.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I think a law like that will only create more problems than it solves. And while it's a cell-phone hater's wet dream to see theatres suing abusers for the ticket costs of a ruined audience experience, THAT won't happen for -- in practical business terms -- it'd be economic suicide.

So we get back to the original point: Let those theatres that want to passively shield their businesses from the signals do so, and if by chance you notice when you walk into the room you get "Looking for service...", you'll do whatever action you would normally do if you were in an underground complex or other naturally-shielded facility.

That's been debated here thoroughly, though, so I'll end my 2c there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks