What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Ultraviolet: Unrated Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If the original version just added "excessive blood and gore and the overusage of cussing language," then I doubt that it would do much to improve the film.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I doubt 40 minutes would be all gore and cursing.

But if so, that might be worth seeing just for the pure spectacle! :)

Maybe should hope for an Underworld-esque extended cut. It's Sony after all. Always another version around the corner.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Actually it can make the film better by giving it its continuity back. Right now, it lacks continuity and is all over the place with the craptastic editing by the studio.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I think you can still find a high quality Quicktime trailer for it around the usual trailer parks on the net.

Here are some screenshots of Milla's lovely butt - ;)

I enjoyed Klaus Badelt's music for Ultraviolet, very similar in tone and beat to Danny Elfman's Spider-Man score. I wonder if the soundtrack is out on sale.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
btw i'm pretty sure the playground scene was in the theatrical cut.

i also don't think an extra 20 or 30 or 40 minutes would save this movie. i mean, what you HAVE is not good. it's not a matter of it being 'missing' stuff (at least not for me). for me an action movie has got to at least have good action (which Equilibrium did) and UV did not have good action scenes. not one out of the 5 or 6 or 10 fights were memorable. a longer movie might've made more sense but it i don't think it would have been better.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

thanks. loved the trailer; movie not so much.

on a side note, does anyone know why trailers for their own movies are frequently left off DVDs (when they frequently appear on other movie's DVDs)? i've always assumed it was because once a movie's own trailer is put on, it's no longer a promotional item (for which the rights have already been paid), but is now a supplemental item (which additional royalties would be needed in the case of a song or something). am i wrong or is it because they just like holding back for the next super edition?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Most likely the reason is that trailers are advertisements, and you're already watching the product being advertised. :)

Now, many of us like to collect trailers for their own sake, but that's not the mindset of the studios.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I bought this DVD on a blind buy even though I expected to hate it.

I just watched it yesterday and actually quite liked it! The story was pretty decent and entertaining, I also really liked the visual artistic style of this movie.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

I have to confess I enjoyed this movie too. Maybe not loved, but went in expecting a real peice, and came out pretty suprised. Visual style was cool, and I like the bad guy. (Toombs in Riddick)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I saw Ultraviolet in the theater and on the unrated cut on DVD. I just couldn't tell much difference between the two. The movie still has problems and I even have a link to a mesage board thread on a Kurt Wimmer/Equilibrium board about what was cut from the movie (in a brief article I wrote on the film for my web site in addition to the mvoie review and DVD review). Yes, the playground scene was in the theatrical cut. By the way, the British mini-series Ultraviolet is just bloody awesome.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
One of the worst films I've seen this year. This is the kind of craptastic JUNK that gives sci-fi a bad name.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I was watching the Blu Ray demo at Circuit City and, Holy Schmidt, the Ultraviolet trailer looked gorgeous. Film looked pretty dumb, but Milla in skintight pants in 1080p forgives a lot of sins, :D

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
Having seen both the Theatrical in theaters and the Unrated in my home, I can tell you with some confidence that no blood and gore was added to the Unrated. Looks like the opening exposition about Violet's past was added, and maybe a couple other scenes (like the flashbacks and the teardrop falling on the family waiting for act 3).

I was actually hoping to see some gratuitous phoney looking CGI blood!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks