What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (guest review by Jack Briggs) (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The extras will be new to me. I've never seen them and I've never seen the film.

Oh my, yes, I am so getting this. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nice review Jack; I'll take a moment to second Zen's compliments regarding your commentary on the film's relevance to our contemporary climate; surely a sign of the filmmaker's insight into the human condition.

Kudos to Fox for a splendid disc. I know what I'll be watching next week.

- Walter.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I don't know if I'll be buying this disc right away. I still have the excellent special edition Laserdisc that was released years ago. All the DVD will be adding is the brand new transfer and the restoration featurette (a stereo soundtrack doesn't really interest me).

Decisions, decisions... :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the great review, Mr. Briggs! :)

(Although I agree with another poster that too much of the plot of the film is revealed above. "Rain", who has never seen the movie, might be slightly irked at knowing so much detail before his disc arrives.) ;)

Even so, Rain, be prepared for one of the finest films of its kind to come down the pike! And the Bernard Herrmann musical score = Nearly beyond words in its greatness!

The soundtrack album is worth the small price too.
And I just this second noted that Varese is releasing a new version of the soundtrack CD March 4th (to correspond with the DVD release date). :)

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be picking this one up after work tomorrow. Can't wait to watch it. I haven't seen this in probably 25 yrs.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack claims theres "a photo gallery".

But the packaging says there are "5 Still Galleries" contained on the DVD.

Perhaps there are actually 5 "sections" of photos within just 1 larger gallery. Is this the case, Jack?

Thanks. (Was just curious. Because I love galleries! :))

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those who have been awaiting this film's appearance on DVD for a long time. I just LOVE the soundtrack to this movie-- the ultimate scifi, flying saucer mood setter.
Great film. Though inevitably dated in some ways, it holds it's fascination all these years later.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that Jack B. will be asked, once again, to do a "Guest" Review when that most elusive of all DVDs, The Haunting (1963), finally hits the market in June 2014. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...and Billy Gray (as little Billy Benson, in one of the most memorable performances ever by a child actor).
I totally concur on this, Jack!
I've always loved Gray's performance as Neal's son in TDTESS! He seems so at ease, and completely natural in this role. A flawless, virtually effortless performance, IMO.

"You don't seem to know much about anything, do you Mister Carpenter?" :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Too bad there are no screenshots offered in this review. I'd love to view some.

(Any way to tack some on, Jack? Ron?) :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
But the packaging says there are "5 Still Galleries" contained on the DVD.
The still galleries (same as on the LD) are divided into six sections:
* Production photos
* Scene and set photos
* The shooting script
* Construction blueprints for the ships
* American and British pressbooks
* Posters, lobby cards, spaceship model and Gort

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
when that most elusive of all DVDs, The Haunting (1963), finally hits the market in June 2014
Can we move that date up 10 yrs?

Has any DVD release included the films soundtrack on a CD-ROM? It would have been real special if Fox could have included the the Herrmann soundtrack to this film along with the DVD of the film.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
My fave role for Pat Neal. She could have so easily overplayed the role and just been another hysterical sci-fi heroine. While beautiful she isn't remotely like the naive Altaira who subsumes everything she is to a man. She could have played Doris Day sweet girl-next-door, she could have been anything. I feel Neal made a more difficult choice deciding to play Helen straight. Helen is a woman of intelligence and independence. She doesn't panic, she works hard to make a home for son and herself. And that's why she works so well. Helen is what we are, what we would like to think we are. Amidst the hysteria, the doomsday scenarios, Helen keeps it together.

Neal, together with Rennie, Gray, Jaffe, and Benson keep it real.

I go back to Forbidden Planet and realize that film succeeds because of Pidgeon and Robby despite the wooden performances of Nielson and his crew. At the end of Forbidden Planet we lament the loss of Morbius and despise the triumph of the arrogant and self-righteous Adams. At the end of Day the Earth Stood Still it's the revenge of Morbius.

I have to hand it to Wise. He had the foresight to see the forest through the trees and allow a great cast to blossom in a Hollywood hostile to measured reason.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
This was one of three sci-fi movies (Forbidden Planet and Invasion of the Body Snatchers were the others) I saw while growing up in the 1960s that left the greatest impression. It was unforgettable and just stuck with you. The music and robot were just horrific at that time to a very young kid. Michael Rennie's performance just stood out as a good balance of being mysterious yet likeable at the same time. As I got older, I began to appreciate this movie more for the way it cleverly tried to convey a deeper message than for the sci-fi special effects. This is a classic that will soon find its way into my collection.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Has any DVD release included the films soundtrack on a CD-ROM? It would have been real special if Fox could have included the the Herrmann soundtrack to this film along with the DVD of the film.
Yes, that would have been sweet! (Except that I already have it. :))

WB did release a soundtrack CD with "The Exorcist" a few years back. Only problem: It was a CD lacking "Tubular Bells", the main theme of the film! (Seems quite curious.)

(Not sure about a CD-ROM however.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks