What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood Of War (RECOMMENDED) (2 Viewers)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I watched Tae Guk Gi again tonight because previously I had to split it over a two nights due to conflicts, and thought the film carried a much stronger emotional punch than before. It certainly has a more personal fell to it as opposed to Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and even Band of Brothers probably because it deals with family caught up in the horrors of war, a much more local conflict that the people have to deal with, and how innocence can be easily lost. It doesn't try to glorify the conflict or the soldiers actions, and having the film begin and end in the present seemed more effective than SPR. I hope word of mouth spreads for this film and many get a chance to experience it and reflect on a forgotten part of history. The film has certainly left an impression on me, especially the soundtrack to the film, which I found to be very haunting and beautiful.

After I saw this, I looked to see what other films the director has done, and found that a film called "Shiri" was released a few years back that broke box office records over in Korea. I read several reviews and decided to make another blind buy with the DVD release of this film. From what I saw over at DVDCompare.net (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1771), the Region 0 Korean release was the one to go for, since it featured a director approved ratio, DTS sound (reportedly better than the HK Region 3 version) and an extensive set of extras, (although most are in Korean only).

This film also blew me away with how entertaining it was, with a superb transfer, a stunning DTS track, and the film itself rivals most American action films, with plenty (almost too many) gunfights, chases, double crosses, suspense, and violence. The opening 5 minutes alone had me feeling that this was going to be something very unique. I looked over at it's site, http://www.subwaycinema.com/shiri/, and if you read about the film, its amazing how popular it is in Korea, and just how it would compare if it were a U.S. release.

This is a film that I think many should also consider checking out if they can find it online. Has anyone else heard of it, and have any comments?

Runar_R

Second Unit
Shiri is a movie that I just didn't like. While it is techically impressive, it came across very cold and cynical to me. Zero emotional impact.
Of course, that's just my opinion.

If you want some other examples of korean movies, I'd rather suggest "JSA" (from the director of 'oldboy') and/or "Sil mi do". Both great movies, with some insights on the releationship between North- and South-Korea

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Josh Shiri is definately very famous in Korea. Personally I loved the beginning and liked the movie but there are are a lot of better Korean movies out there. I would definately agree with Runar that Silmido is one of them.
There is lots to choose from check out this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...t=asian+cinema for suggestions.
Are you interested in any particular genre?
Off the top of my head I would definately recommend Silmido, Old Boy, Memories of Murder, A tale of two sisters

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yea, from what I have heard, Silmido and Old Boy are a must see. Most genres i'm interested in are crime, drama, war, or action, but I'm pretty varied as far as what I like. I know I very much enjoyed Tae Guk Gi and Shiri, and I hope to obtain a region free player some time and give Old Boy and Silmido a spin.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I was eyeing the 3-disc Korean version of Tae Guk Gi, housed in a nice tin, the other day, but the extras are not subtitled. However the R1 DVD looks great, and I will pick it up soon probably.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

I think Old BOy would have been a better representative from Korea, but rumor has it the geniuses at the studio that released Old Boy missed the submission deadline.

Old Boy is a truly unique movie that blew me away. Some of the cinematography is the best I've seen in a while. Though lacking the high-budget special effects of TaeGukGi, the action packs a bigger punch, in my opinion.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i was wondering how far into the movie the first war scene was. i was going to watch this with my mom during dinner but don't really want to watch it during dinner if alot of the graphic violence is early on.

Tay Park

Auditioning
The first combat scene is about 15 minutes into the movie. I have now seen this movie 5 times. Unlike Mr. Jim M, I found this movie to be much better and much more moving than Saving Private Ryan. Well, I guess we all assume that what moves us, will be the standard by which we assume all others will feel as well. At anyrate, I think that this movie, achieved to become what Saving Private failed to be.

With the exception of small mistakes, such as the Hershey wrapper, as has been duly noted on many occasions by many people that I know, the accuracy of the uniforms and the tactics used in the combat scenes are quite admirable. (something which by the way, was not done in Saving Private Ryan. I am a Wehrmacht uniform collector.) I have a friend who is a professor at West Point and retired from the US Army as a Lieutenant Colonel. He also served with the US forces in South Korea during the 1980's near the DMZ. He says that the tactics were accurate for those used in the Early 1950's. The uniforms and helmets, down to the Chinese potato masher grenades were according to him, extremely accurate.

Tay Park

Auditioning
By the way, I am trying to send a DVD or video casette to several friends in Germany and England. DO any of you guys know if there will ever be a PAL system video cassette version of the movie? What about a region 2 DVD version?
Thanks again.
Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks