What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Death Proof - Extended and Unrated (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
ronsreviews_covers_88984.jpg

Death Proof - Extended and Unrated

Studio: The Weinstein Company
Year: 2007
US Rating: Unrated
Film Length: 113 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 2:35.1
Audio: English, French, Italian and Spanish 5.1
Subtitles: Optional Spanish and English SDH

US Release Date: September 18, 2007

The Film - :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

“Because it was a fifty fifty shot on wheter you'd be going left or right. You see we're both going left. You could have just as easily been going left, too. And if that was the case... It would have been a while before you started getting scared. But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately!”

The perpetually inventive creativity of Quentin Tarantino, endlessly infused with an effective appreciation and honoring of movies and television shows from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, has brought to the world of cinema some of the coolest films of the modern era. His smoldering sense of wit and occasional playful barbarism seem to coalesce in his films in ways that defy logic. In the hands of a director that had not lived on a diet of television shows like Ironside and Kung Fu or cinema such as Escape From New York, White Lightning and a slew of martial arts pulp, Tarantino’s films would be devoid of unbridled cool they exude and some of the best soundtracks money can buy.

While he launched into a plateau of great critical appreciation with his violent Reservoir Dogs, his household name status was concreted with the film that revived flagging careers (John Travolta, Bruce Willis) and redefined the ‘cinema of cool’. That film was Pulp Fiction, and while many may say he has been chasing that same defiantly original but broadly accepted level of success ever since, (with his Jackie Brown and Kill Bill saga’s), I am not entirely sure that is where he is headed. The greatest evidence to support that is the diabolic project that he and long friend, director Robert Rodriguez, imagined with their Grindhouse double feature, Death Proof and Planet Terror. The concept was to craft two films that harkened back to the absurdly plotted, violent and bloody films that found great appreciation in smoky and rundown cinemas. Packaging these two films together, one directed by Tarantino and the other by Rodriguez, complete with all the trademarks of a cheap theater double-feature experience (damaged film appearance, ‘Missing Reel’ notices and jumpy playback), they endeavored to recapture a little piece of that movie going experience and present it to a world used to ever clearer pictures, logical plot progressions and endings that try to be about something. Ultimately, their little passion project was met by an audience that didn’t get the point or appreciate the gleefully strange stories each director chose to tell.

Death Proof is about as simple an idea as you will find. It’s the story of a sociopathic ex-stuntman (Stuntman Mike) that no-one seems to have heard of, who enjoys a disturbed sense of fun from stalking, charming and eventually killing off young women. He does this using his 1970 Chevy Nova, a vehicle modified for stunt driving and one that happens to be death proof for the person in the driving seat. The Stuntman, played by Kurt Russell, blurs the line between charming and creepy when he is chatting friendly with you, but once he gets behind the wheel, he becomes psychotic and is out for the kill. When he targets four young women (Rosario Dawson, Tracie Thoms, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and real life stunt woman Zoë Bell) driving through the country lanes of Tennessee, he soon discovers that he has bitten off more than he can chew. The game, as they say, is on.

Death Proof isn’t so much a film as it is an experience. Admittedly, it feels a little unfinished without its theatrical partner, ‘Planet Terror, but Tarantino’s sassy script and insipidly interesting dialogue keep your attention steadfast, even when it has been some time since something ominous or action oriented has happened. As with Pulp Fiction and the violent revenge duo of Kill Bill parts one and two, the director creates a lightning mix of the peculiar, impractical and impossible, with characters that reveal themselves to be well rounded two dimensional amalgams of other characters that Tarantino enjoyed throughout his years.

With this half of the Grindhouse duo, Tarantino writes a full throttle love-letter to the stunt-ridden muscle car flicks of the 70’s. He even goes so far as to bring in the stuntmen from those earlier to perform the multitude of high speed crashes, flips, skids and near misses.

Keeping the action real with almost every scene during the nearly 18 minute car chase, filmed at about 80 miles per hour and free from computer generated visual effects, Tarantino has throttled onto the screen an analog dream of a film during a time of digital pervasiveness (and laziness).

As much as this film succeeds with originality, concept bravado and a wickedly thorough attempt to make this an authentic throwback, there are quite a number of flaws in the experience. The structure of Tarantino’s films has rarely stepped in line with convention but the pacing of Death Proof is jarringly uneven. And while the dialogue he writes in his films manage to feel natural but loaded with quotable quips and laudable lines, they stretch on for far too long before the film explodes into the exquisitely crafted car chases. I may be glued to the conversations, curious as to where they will go, but it puts a strain on the potential of repeat viewings, something that we never had to worry about with his other films.

The spirit of the Grindhouse may have been fanatically recreated, but it appears to have made this his least accessible film. But this is Tarantino and the unexpected is clearly what we should expect. The film knows what it wants to be and it absolutely succeeds at that, pulling us along for the ride. And the joy of watching Kurt Russell play the dangerous and murderous Stuntman Mike is a another great example of how Tarantino has developed a strange knack of getting performances out of veteran actors that are simply outstanding.

Death Proof is perhaps the ultimate in directorial indulgence, but it is a delectable one; fast, fierce, fun and furious, its like running through the gears of a six speed when you think the car only has five – that final gear can’t help but make you feel good!

The Video - :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Death Proof is presented in its original theatrical ratio of 2.35:1 and enhanced for widescreen TV’s. Judging the quality of the presentation was not without its challenges. The first half of the film contains the trademark film flaws, grain, dust and print damage – all intentionally added to create the look and feel of the New World Pictures double features of days gone by. It is a little off putting when the film starts but only for a short while. Once the films second wind kicks in, with the introduction of the four new gals, the film pops into and out of black and white and boom!, the image is clean, sharp, beautifully saturated with great colors and looks simply gorgeous.

The Sound - :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

The English 5.1 surround sound is given little to do for the first 45 minutes of the film, using the front and center channels heavily. But once Kurt fires up his 1970 Chevy Nova to begin his wicked fun, the subwoofer gets a kick in the pants and with each rev of that cars throaty engine, the speakers saturate the audio ambience with some wonderful rumbling. The audio becomes fully immersive and engaging, with active surrounds that really pull you in. While there is little in the way of directional effects going on, the gritty growls of the car engines are powerful flowing through the speakers.

The Extra's - :star::star::star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif
out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Disc One :

International Death Proof Trailer:
International Posters (gallery):
Sneak Peaks: – Trailers for Planet Terror, 1408, Black Sheep and Feast

Disc Two :

Stunts On Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof: - (30:38) - Quentin Tarantino exuberantly lauds praise upon the legendary stunt persons he cast for the film, including Buddy Joe Hooker and Tracy Dashnaw. This 30 minute feature is a great piece as an ode to stunt driving.

Introducing Zoë Bell: - (8:57) – A bit of a love fest for Zoë but not undeserved. The feats she accomplishes on the hood of the car during her stunts are remarkable and as an actress, she manages to be a ball of energy and really quite cute.

Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike: - (9:32) – I light exploration of the madman character and the great actor portraying him.

Finding Quentin’s Gals: - (21:13) – Tarantino explains the process of casting the two sets of girls in the feature. His open and energetic interview style, as he bobs from side to side feasting on the information he is sharing, is entertaining as always

The Uncut Version of Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s ‘Baby It’s You’: - (1:47) – An uninterrupted short clip of this young actress singing as she listens to her iPod.

The Guys of Death Proof: - (8:14) – Death Proof is a fighting femme flick, but the guys, relegated to be merely props in the film, are filled by a few fun actors, including director Eli Roth (Cabin Fever).

Quentin’s Greatest Collaborator – Sally Menke: - (4:33) – This is the feature that, based on its title had the greatest potential but ended up being the biggest waste of time.

Double Dare Trailer: - (2:35) – A trailer for the documentary of two stunt women, one at the start of her career (Zoë Bell) and the other at the end.

Final Thoughts

This extended and unrated version of Death Proof, enables a more ‘logical’ separation of the Grindhouse double feature for release on home video, and carries with it quite a few changes from the theatrical release. More dialogue, small alterations here and there and a few changes that will disappoint those revisiting the film; it winds up having more conversational exchanges than a film like this really needs. However, the excess of dialogue is still intriguing and thus, for me, not completely a bad choice.

Death Proof and its partner, Planet Terror have stirred quite the debate over their artistic merits, gimmicky nature and the maturity of the execution. Death Proof in particular appears to have supporters and detractors with their minds in a twist over just how they feel about the film. But one thing is for certain – half of those out there reading this will agree with me in liking the film and the other half will tell me I haven’t got a clue what I am talking about. Don’t you just love Quentin Tarantino!

Overall Score - :star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Neil Middlemiss
Kernersville, NC

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Hate to be a nitpicker, but in the first half of the film, Stuntman Mike's car is a 1970 Chevy Nova, not a Dodge Charger.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
We Brits really know our muscle cars, don't we... :) Thanks for the correction!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nicely done! I loved Death Proof as the second half of the double bill ni the theaters, nice to her the DVD is so well done. I liked the dialog. Despite how well he does action and that, all his films are insanely dialog heavy.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Are there any HTF member who object to a theatrical release being so radically altered prior to release on home video?

I didn't see Grindhouse in theaters and apparently I'll never be able to see the movie as exhibited...

Selling the movie in two parts seems like a tacky bastardization, like taking an unpublished novel and selling the odd and even chapters in separate releases.

Imagine Sin City tanked at the box office and they decided to sell it as four DVDs...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
'

This has been debated to death on about 2438942738947 threads, can we keep this one about this version and the review? If you had seen "Grindhouse" in the theaters, you'd be able to note how retarded your metaphor about published novels is. They are two seperate films, the linkage between them is similar to having Micheal Keaton playing the same role in "Jackie Brown" and "Out Of Site". It doesn't make those 2 films a pair that have to be viewed together, and because this was originally released as a double bill doesn't mean it has to be viewed with "Planet Terror" in order to be complete.

Fact is, this is the version that debuted before Grindhouse at Cannes, if I'm not mistaken.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I vastly prefer Tarantino's version of Death Proof and while I'll buy Grindhouse when it's released, it'll be more to see the trailers and feed my completist nature than any desire to see a short version of Death Proof.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Add me as someone who wants an exact replica of the "Grindhouse" release as it appeared in theaters. These 'extended and unrated' versions should have been included as extras, not replacements for the theatrical version.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

Exactly the same here. I want those trailers on disc!

I'll probably give the theatrical cut a spin when I get it, but I love the extended version.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It is more like writers submitting short stories to a magazine. After the magazine goes off the stand, those stories are only available in collections of the authors other work, where they may have been expanded.

GRINDHOUSE itself wasn't so much a movie as it was a recreation of the moviegoing experience of the theatres themselves. Live a drive in, you can't duplicate that at home.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, putting it on video would duplicate it as closely as possible. I didn't see this in theaters because the "experience" also included high ticket prices, annoying patrons and bad projection (other than the scratches and other 'technical problems' that were put into this intentionally.)

Someone should make a DVD recreating the experience of a VHS movie rental night, I might check that out :) The 'movies' could be spoofs of the many bad straight-to-video movies that came out in the 1980s.

BarryS

Second Unit
Love it. I love the longer cut and I think that Death Proof should have been released as a stand-alone film. Maybe Grindhouse should have consisted of "Planet Terror" and "Thanksgiving". Then the extended cut of Death Proof by itself at some point later on. The shorter Death Proof just seemed incomplete to me. It seemed like it was missing something. Now it feels more like a whole movie I think.

My favorite new scene is the convenience store scene. I love the black and white, which suddenly changes back to color. Maybe it wasn't intentional but Rosario seeing Stuntman Mike's car across the road was a nice homage to Psycho.

Stuntman Mike licking Rosario's toes: brilliant and creepy!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

You've stumped me. What has Rosario seeing Stuntman's Mike muscle car from across the road have to do with Psycho?

I liked the extended cut but have no idea what the short cut was like. I liked the film.

As far as the DVD goes I was super irritated with the extra Quentin’s Greatest Collaborator – Sally Menke

Now I've always felt that Tarrantino provided a lot more quality content on DVDs than some of his peers .... but this was the WORST. Here I think I'm going to see his film editor in action and MAYBE just maybe even see some collaboration between the two. Then to see that not only didn't I get any editing, serious discussion around editing or even Sally Menke but only a bunch of actors with sheepish smiles on their faces waving and saying things like "hello Sally." Sorry for my language but talk about taking a piss on the consumer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The shot looks alot like one in Psycho where Marion sees the Highway Patrolman watching her buy a new car. The black and white in that scene also adds to the similarity of the two.

I don't know if it was intentional but I thought the same thing as Barry when I saw it.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Well, hopefully Barry with weigh in on this but are you saying that Rosario leaning on the car equals the cop leaning against his car watching Marion and Stuntman Mike bombing out of there equals Marion getting out of town? If so, interesting observation.

John CW

Supporting Actor
The two films have a pretty similar structure, actually. So it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of nod to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks