What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Correct me if I'm breaking rules, but my local library has the original Rear Window DVD... Perhaps I could upload the screenplay PDF somewhere for those who got the Masterpiece Collection version.

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick - I think the same script is available at Drew's script-o-rama, along with several other Hitchcock scripts.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm fairly safe in swapping out old for new without giving up too much content.

Thanks again!
Jimmy

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

As pointed out, the only worthwhile loss is the REAR WINDOW script. However(and I said this before, a few pages ago) the stills galleries on some of the new discs seem to have been encoded badly. What is straight black and white on the old disc has ugly "rainbowing" in the pictures and drawings on the new discs.

Hardly worth keeping the old discs for, but its a shame that the material is presented in an inferior manner on the new discs.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Just about to tuck into my Hitch box tonight...

Am I missing something, or are the lengths of these movies not printed anywhere on the packaging, neither the digipacks, nor the booklet, nor the discs, nor the cardboard wrap-around...?

JR

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I imported the R1 box from Amazon and wasn't charged a penny of Customs duty. I guess it slipped through the net. Lucky me! :)

JR

Patrick H.

Second Unit
For all the minor nitpicks about this set, after finally biting the bullet I have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed. Films I once paid $25 for now look three times better for six bucks each. 'Vertigo' and 'Psycho' are smashing. I was so re-psyched for Hitchcock by the end of these films that I went out and got the Warner set (even though I had a couple of those releases already), 'Lifeboat,' and 'To Catch a Thief.' Now I just need to track down the one Criterion I'm missing...

Universal deserves praise...they got this one right.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Congrats, John. Patrick, same here! I picked up the Warner set even though I had NxNW and Dial M. Then I picked up the one last Criterion to complete the set.

I love being able to have all the films available to watch. Alas, I have had absolutely no time to watch them (and apologies for not continuing the other half of this review... even Hitchcock had to be set aside with all the other things going on in the last few weeks for me).

- Steve

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Patrick,

I strongly urge you to consider getting the Under Capricorn DVD as well. I think this is a greatly under-appreciated work from Hitchcock, and the Image DVD looks very good to my eye.

Sadly, there is very little good I can say about the Paradine Case, or its DVD.

-Lyle J.P.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
It must be an epidemic. I snagged the Signature series from WB the same day as the Universal Masterpiece set, too. I got the Criterions in a box a couple of years ago when it went out of print for $60 from Overstock.com. I can also recommend UNDER CAPRICORN. An odd Hitch, but the disc is not too bad, quality-wise, and there are some nice moments of the "10 minute take" syndrome.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Thank you for the 'Under Capricorn' recommendations...I'll have to track it down! And speaking of tracking things down, has anybody seen the Criterion 'Spellbound' anywhere for less than $50? I remembered my local Borders having one sitting on their shelf for probably the past year, but it chose THIS WEEK to disappear!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Speaking of nitpicking.... has anybody noticed the typos? Apparently Vertigo was restored by "Roberts A. Harris"! Man, between this and the Lawrence of Arabia superbit (Robert A. Harns), our man can't get a break!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If I might also make a recommendation - track it down as a rental. :) Obviously there are those who like it, but I think it's the worst film Hitchock ever made (and I LOVE Hitchcock - I own 33 of his films on dvd).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I too have a copy of UNDER CAPRICORN... but I've never watched it. Too many Hitchcocks, too little time... I now have 32 Hitchcock films on DVD (you beat me by one, George!), as well as 8 of his early films captured on my DVR (along with both of his 1944 wartime shorts). Oh, and the first season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Lots of Hitch in the house. But man, owning them isn't enough. I really need to watch 'em all! I tend to zero in my favorites and watch them on a regular basis (VERTIGO, NOTORIOUS, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, PSYCHO, etc.).

I have the next four days off, so I have no excuse. My Veteran's Day vow: I will watch UNDER CAPRICORN before I go back to work on Monday.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not familiar with UNDER CAPRICORN. I may have to pick it up, if for no other reason than to narrow the gap on Hitch films with George (I only own 31). :) Anyway, a Hitch film with Joseph Cotton and Ingrid Bergman can't be all bad, can it?

I have the same problem, Craig. I've never seen FAMILY PLOT or TOPAZ, but find myself re-watching my favorites from the new Universal collection instead of getting to these two.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if it's a competition, I guess I should be clearer. :) The 33 films was counted from a list of dvds I watch. I actually own a few others that I don't like, but own cause they came in box sets, or are part of a double-bill with something I do like. There are 6 of those films I own on dvd.

So, Hitchcock films I like and own on dvd - 33
Total Hitchcock films I own on dvd - 39

Unforunately, even as a Hitchcock fan, there are still a few of his films I haven't even seen, though I was able to recently record some of those off of TCM, and will be able to rectify some of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks