What's new

HTF REVIEW: "24" The Complete First Season (A MUST BUY!) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
FX did a 24 hour marathon of the show this past monday...missed all but the last ten minutes of it all.

Cannot wait for this set.

Christopher D

Second Unit
A few comments on random matters raised in the thread, many of which have been influenced by watching the R2 set:

1) On rewatchability: Folks who enjoyed the series on TV I think will get value out of re-watching it at least once on DVD. The picture and sound is measurably better than broadcast, especially if you don't have a widescreen TV. This actually makes a noticable difference in how the programming comes across -- the DVD is more filmlike and so comes across as darker and more tense than TV. I have enjoyed watching the DVD a lot more than the series itself (which I liked well enough) for this reason, which was confirmed during the marathon on TV yesterday. It really looked "cramped" in 4:3.

2) On the US/UK versions: As I said in the International Forum, there will probably be a difference of opinion on this, but bear in mind that both sets of DVDs contain the original US version. Just because the additional material was thrown into the UK broadcast does *not* mean that it is necessarily "lost" from the US version. In fact, more consideration needs to be given to the possibility that the material was intentionally omitted for editorial reasons (like many other "deleted scenes"), *especially* the bits that many who have seen the longer version believe is integral to the story. I think that if the missing dialogue had been truly integral to the intended story, it would have been included in the original. The fact that it was not suggests to me that the editors/other powers that be made an intentional choice to take it out. Still, I will be exchanging mine when I get my R1 so I can have both.

3) Ron Epstein: Thanks for doing the review. The menus look better than the R2, and I want a copy of this that I can play in all my machines, including the portable. With respect to the missing packaging, I appreciate the point you raised, but I guess that Fox's position is that they are providing a copy for a review of the discs, and not the box. Then again, maybe they're just embarrassed that the US packaging is not nearly as handsome as was released in the UK!

4) Price/Release Speed: If Peter Staddon is reading this, a thousand thank yous for the very quick release of this title to its fans and, more importantly, the extremely reasonable price. An entire season of a first-rate TV show for $40-$45 is a no brainer. Please keep it up.

BTW, there is no commentary on the alternate ending on the R2, which gives the region-free folks something new to look forward to in addition to a copy free of PAL speed-up. Kiefer Sutherland's voice is off just a tad on those "foreign" copies, you know.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hmm I'm torn, I liked the show and I preordered it for $38, but I ave to agree, unlike the Sopranos I cannot see watching it too many times once you've seen it all.And the 1st half was definately better than the first. I think I've convinced my self to get the tivo ready for season 2 and spend the money elswhere. TV that I thinkwould have rewatchability. Of course Trek, Babylon 5, Smallville, The Shield, NypD Blue (at least the great 1st Season)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
24 is the GREATEST television series ever in my opinion, and I have had this set on preorder for a good while! I disagree with people who thought the show went downhill. I loved EVERY single episode, and this series will have immense replay value for me! I can't wait for Season 2, because this show blows all other TV series away!

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
The show has just begun here in Australia and I am enjoying it immensely, haven't missed an episode yet. Currently the next episode is 9:00am to 10:00pm so there is over twelve hours to go. Therefore think I might wait before deciding to import this release (after all still have to pay for that Band of Brothers Box Set).

James Norman

Auditioning
Glad you changed your mind and decided to review it. I don't quite have the money to spend on home DVD has some people, but this is one of my MUST BUYS of the year.

The series does tend to drag from 1pm-5pm but even when slow it is much better than any series I've seen since SOAP.

The best way to sum up "24" is this. It's a soap opera for guys. And a worthwhile one at that.

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
I truely enjoyed this show, but spending money to own a series that would just collect dust is for me an unwise decision. Once seen, there is absolutely no rewatchability to it. Too many other great choices out there, to even think about this one. I'm wondering if Ron would give this such a stellar "must own" endorsement had he already seen the series.

Chris

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I would have no interest in watching this again, and would think that most would feel the same.
You'd think wrong. I watched every episode of 24, analyzed it religiously, and cannot wait for this set.
My only complaint: why the fork does Smallville have to be scheduled at the same time? I got TIVO and a VCR working overtime, and just who the hell is slamming their door repeatedly out in the hall? My landlady is just plain evil.
Where was I? Ah screw it...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Anything is rewatchable if it is good. I expect I'd rewatch the first few episodes.

But Fox made two blunders which give me pause: No chapter stops (I'd so very much like to skip over Kim's stupidity every time it crops up), and Fox should had provided us with the longer final episodes, so we'd have a reason to sit through the awful middle episodes.

Is there any chance of a recall of the US set?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This was a great show. I disagree with those who don't think there is any rewatchability. I rewatched a significant portion of the show during the recent marathon, and definitely enjoyed it again. There are some surprises with characters by the end of this show. When rewatching, I could now look for clues or hints of some characters' true motivations that all first time viewers would be oblivious too. I look forward to another viewing on DVD!
The "real time" concept was a great idea for a season of television. When the show first started, I remember thinking how awesome it would be to watch the whole story unfold in real time instead of having to wait a week or more between "hours" of the "single day". I got my wish with the marathon this Labor Day on FX. I came home around 2am and picked up the story at...yep, 2am! Too cool! I watched up to 4am then went to bed. When I woke up Monday around 11:30am, I re-joined the story at 11:30am. Watched until about 5pm, drove back to New York and picked up the story again when I got to my apartment around 9pm until the show ended at midnight...all in real time. Too damn cool!
It's easy to say that as the story goes on some characters don't make the wisest of choices in some situations; especially when you are viewing the story over a time period from November to May. But the story takes place over one 24 hour period! It starts at the time when most of the characters should be ready for a full night of sleep (midnight). So start there and then run the characters ragged through the entire night and all through the next day. These people haven't had any sleep (some for almost 2 days by the end of the story) and have been threatened, battered, raped
, shot at, shot, lied too, and just have been existing on adrenaline for hours on end. Not to mention that the experiences of the characters earlier in the day make it harder for them to trust anyone. It's too bad the show wasn't more "realistic" because we all know that in the real world, people always make the most logical decisions in times of extreme stress and panic, especially when they are sleep deprived, confused, in physical pain, and don't have all the facts about what's going on. :rolleyes:
Like The Lord of the Rings, 24 is one long story. While you can enjoy FOTR on it's own, it's ultimately meant to be viewed along with the next two installments as one story. 24 is kind of the TV version of that concept. It is not really meant to be viewed as stand alone, episodic television. While someone might have favorite "hours" from this show and might want to watch them individually from time to time, it's really a very different format of TV story telling from most other TV shows (Buffy, Star Trek, Farscape, X-Files, E.R., etc...). With those shows, there may be overall story arcs, but there are plenty of completely self-contained, stand alone episodes. You can watch episodes out of order, or some from one season the some from another, etc... an still enjoy the experience of the show. That's nice, but I always preferred the longer story arcs of all shows I watch. With 24, it's more like a long movie or a miniseries, and I really like that. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. When you want to watch it, you'll want to watch the entire day (season) at once.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Someone stated that the DVD won't have any chapter stops. Can someone clarify exactly what that means?

Anyone see the promo's for season 2? Looks action packed just like the first. What's good is that they have clearance for ALL 24 episodes which means they'll be little slowdown halfway through the show unless it's intentional.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Jack Bauer (if that is your real name :) ,
It simply means that, during episodes you won't be able to skip to certain scenes in the show.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, do you mean that there aren't any chapters in the episodes? Wow, that's interesting.

As fan of 24 I am very happy this series has come out on DVD so fast. ;)
I do have one question that I believe hasn't been answered or asked. It has to do with one of the scenes that was cut from the original airing shown in the U.S. due to the events of 9/11.
The scene that I am referring to happened in the first episode. The scene that was cut was when they showed the airplane exploding. the scene happens after the women jumps from the plane.
So my question is, does anybody that has seen the DVD's know if the scene was put back in the first episode?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just a note to those who will be picking up the DVD set... I read an article which quoted an interview with Elisha Cuthbert who says in nearly every scene you can see a small stuffed dog - sometimes only in silhouette. Just wondering if this is true.

While I'm here - I loved the series. I had to tape it due to my schedule but the first chance I had the next day I watched it above anything else. I'd be interested to see the alt endings, but not enought to buy the series - I agree with the lack of rewatchability. It's not like you can watch a favorite episode again and again like some series'.

The only thing that bugged me about the series was that people were calling each other CONSTANTLY. Jack would call CTU, leave a message for Nina to research something. Cut to commercial break, then back to same scene and there he is calling back to find out what she discovered. It's been TWO MINUTES!

Great show tho. Can't wait for the new season.

-paul

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The only thing that bugged me about the series was that people were calling each other CONSTANTLY.
Well, I did remark once that this show would be virtually impossible without the invention of the cell phone. It's amazing how prevalent and pivotal in the story this little piece of technology is in 24. And people seemed to generally keep them well charged. :)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The first half was outstanding, with better kidnappers, and a better role for Teri. The second half was just good, with dull kidnappers (like that Van Damme clone) and lame plot twists, but a knockout performance by Penny Johnson Jerald as Sherry. However, the final hour was possibly the best hour of TV last season. I can't wait for the new season and hope all 24 hours are outstanding this year.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Wow, Ron I am thrilled you liked this show, before I bought a tivo I didn't watch anywhere near as much tv as I do now. If you liked 24 and Sopranos there are numerous other shows that you should watch. If you dont have the time, then get a tivo and that way you can still watch your movies while tivo records your tv shows. Anyways enough of my walking commercial for tivo. I wasnt going to buy 24, I loved loved loved the show, but I have been buying waaaaay too many dvds and I have seen the show, but then they had the 24 hr marathon this weekend, and I thought damn this is a good show, so just like Sopranos, I need it, great review Ron, and once again you have cost me money. This forum is sucking the money out of my pockets!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks