What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Cloverfield (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it is so obvious now i cant beleive i never saw it.

the splash happens just a split sec before it goes to the two of them on the ride.

it comes in from the top right corner and comes in on an angle just over the boat then splashes just to the left of the boat.

right at 1hr 13min 15 secs look at the top right corner.
now look in the water there is a a small round object(balloon?) the boats
wake then the boat.
it hits right on the horizon between the wake and the balloon like round thing.

it actually hits right at 1hr 13min 20secs.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
Thanks Tony! Just looked (took me a while but i finally saw it).. Guess it was a whole lot easier to catch when i was at the theater and missed it than with it at home :frowning:

either way i feel better now bc i was about at that point with my friends i was like "are you sure you saw what you saw?"

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Ya, but where's that frame of King Kong on the Empire State Building? Someone gave a really bad frame-count on some other forum which isn't correct - or I'm just blind.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I don't see how that makes a difference, he asked what the time code was and I gave it to him and told him where to look.

It's no big deal but I stopped a DVD that I was watching and put Cloverfield in just to look for him.

I'm sorry but I just felt a bit like chopped liver there. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
don't downplay the value of chopped liver.
it can be very good if prepared well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, just saw this tonight at my sisters house on a stereo TV.

- How can you bust this things audio, when it was supposed to be filmed off a camcorder. IMO this shouldnt even HAVE a 5.1 track. I will watch it again in my HT to get the full effect but I'm actually disappointed to hear all the raves about how spacial and dynamic it is. I think this might even kill it for me.

- For those of us who are HP Lovecraft fans, would you classify this as an elder god? It has no notable insanity area of effect (witness the leads coherence) =) I obviously havent listened to the making of segments yet, do the principles list HPL as an influence as well as Godzilla?

Sam

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
elder god?

it's a giant crazy monster going nuts in New York.

"It has no notable insanity area of effect "

?? over my head, i guess.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

To be fair, it's not a standard 5.1 setup, with dialogue exclusively in the center, reverberated music in the rears and so on. It moves around, dialogue is sometimes center and left, right only, and so on. It usually depends on how close Hud is to someone when filming them. It's especially noticeable during the party sequence. The sounds pan along the channels along with the image in such a way that it doesn't sound like a big budget surround mix where everything is strategically placed. It's all very natural and believable. I found that the end title music was the only thing that sounded like the average 5.1 setup.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this last night for the first time (didn't see it in the theater) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Count me in as a big fan of the audio track. Just a really immersive experience, with one of the more active LFE signals on any DVD that I can think of at the moment. I think I'll be buying this one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get what you're saying but the 5.1 track really boosts the movie in my opinion. I've heard the movie in three very different ways- in the theater, on my own 5.1 system and from the speakers on my buddy's TV. By far, the least effective of those presentations was on TV speakers eventhough that would be the truest representation of how a found tape would sound.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this falls in the supsension of dis-belief area.

i know the whole movie does, but specifically the sound.

sure it is a movie that is depicted as being filmed with a hand held, but it's still a movie
so, how effective would it be if it was shown with a mono or stereo track.

not very, so this is just one of those you just have to go with it things.

actually i'm surprised it is a discussion.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Scanned through the easter eggs. I liked the news cast and the blog as to the taped message.
Anyway at the end during the Coney Island Ride, what was that thing that fell in to the water in the background, was it a part of the movie?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it ties into some of the viral marketing for the film.

It's apparently a downed satellite owned by the same company responsible for the "Slusho" drink, called Tagruato. It also owns a drilling company (the same one shown in the easter egg news reels). The satellite hitting the water supposedly woke the monster up from centuries of sleep. The company is where Rob was supposed to be going to Japan to work for.

Besides, the monster was a hell of a lot bigger than what hit the water anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks