What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: The Prestige - HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION! (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
ronsreviews_covers_80427.jpg">

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, I had not even considered this movie but after your review and another that I have seen, I am looking for it on Tuesday. Is the pcm 16bit or 24bit on this bd50?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Loved it in the theatre, and already on preorder. Can't wait.

BD-50
AVC
PCM

I hope that is what becomes the standard for all BD releases. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Had planned on buying this one sight unseen because of the talent involved in front and behind the camera. Now that I've read your review, Tuesday can't get here fast enough!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Great news! Thanks for the review. Can't wait to get ahold of this one. :)

Wet1

Grip
Real Name
Scott
This is the second rave review I've read today on this flick. I just placed my blind order through Amazon... I should have it before 2008. :D

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Outstanding! You guys are going to be completely blown away by The Prestige. I look forward to reading everyone's comments!

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like the movie enough to add this to my collection but I'm pleased to hear about the stellar audio/video.

Thanks for the review.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yay! I can't wait for Amazon to ship my copy out along with The Departed.

Now all I need is a cheap receiver w/PCM decoding. Hopefully they'll be a lot more this year.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Easily one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time, regardless of the format.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Yes it did. I had to stop watching it 40 minutes in and restart because I had no idea who was reading which persons notbooks or if the story had returned to regular time.

And Michael Caine's pronounciation of 'engineer' had me looking for the subtitle button.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They are already out. I assume you have a ps3 right? There are some receivers in the $500 range that will work with the ps3 and get you the lossless pcm sound you want.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The movie also left me less than impressed (probably because I have done research on Tesla) but might grab this one anyway.
Now, about those receivers in the $500 range...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The audio was showing as 6.9 mbps I think. Up till now I've seen 4.6 mbps. Are these the numbers for 16 bit and 24 bit?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
While I found the picture and SQ very good, I found the movie rather convoluted and frustrating in the forced complexity of it's script. This is not a keeper for me. This reminds me of the Illusionist, another period "magic'' film that had, like Prestige, beautiful art direction, great photagraphy, nice costumes and very good acting, and both, IMHO, sub-par scripts.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have mixed feelings on buying this one.
i havent see it but love nolan.

almost all the people i have spoken to(work in a video store) who have seen it say they dont like the "prestige" section of the movie.

i am tempted to use best buys sale this week and get this with another blu-ray or two. and use up saome bestbuy bucks that i have sitting around.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Finally got around to watching this last night, and the video and audio are indeed reference quality all the way! The picture couldn't be any more three dimensional.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Top notch A/V all the way. It's also a terrific film, which will probably end up in my Top 5 films of 06.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks