What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Saving Private Ryan (Sapphire Series) - Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
SPR on Blu-Ray is simply fantastic! I have watched it twice already since getting my copy

the most visually impressive element on HD was *not* the beach scene at the start, which I had assumed would be the most stunning, but the scenes afterwards - as the Army moves off the beach

specifically scenes full of men and equipment moving, and the camera pans up against a sky line - simply breathtaking!

the final battle on the bridge is also incredible to watch in HD

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
No prob. I added my info to Jeff Kleist's thread at Blu-ray.com with folks in the U.S. reporting the issue so feedback can be given to Paramount. Hope someone can get to the bottom of this, whether this is a bad batch or whatever. The fact that I was able to duplicate the problem on two different systems, with different signal paths I think points to this scenario.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
There is a sync issue on mine as well, like a privious poster said it begins during the scene with Tom Hanks and the Espresso machine until the end of the film. However I did not let it bother me, it's still a class act release.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It looks pretty good, but it feels like it is too bright. Sometimes the background sky is such a bright white that its enough to hurt your eyes. I don't remember this film being that bright in the theatre. I didn't really notice any lip sync issue. but it could be that I'm just not that sensitive to it. However, the ultra-white sky is one thing I do notice.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The whites were always blown out; however, the new transfer is more colorful than I recall. I think it looks (and sounds) outstanding. I think this (and Minority Report) are great examples of Blu-ray's capability of reproducing a film-like image. There's Avatar for the digital benchmark, and then there are these films. Wonderful!

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
If this is an example of how Spielberg will look on Blu, I can't wait for the other Spielberg releases this year. I am scared with Jurrasic Park (which is rumored to come out this year), considering Universal's track record this year (Out Of Africa???), but I think there will be careful quality checking with a Spielberg film...I hope anyway.

Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

The whites were always blown out; however, the new transfer is more colorful than I recall. I think it looks (and sounds) outstanding. I think this (and Minority Report) are great examples of Blu-ray's capability of reproducing a film-like image. There's Avatar for the digital benchmark, and then there are these films. Wonderful!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched this last night, and I thought the image and sound quality were excellent. I did not notice any lip synch issues, and I was expressly looking for them after the "espresso machine" scene. I have a Sony BDP-S350 player with the latest firmware and a Pioneer Elite 94TXH receiver performing the DTS HD Master decoding.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I put in the disc and I noticed the issue mentioned above as well using my sony updated BR player and receiver.

It seems to happen during the espresso machine and when Upham is translating the song.

edit: I noticed it on my GFs sons PS3 as well.

Also maybe slighty when The Sniper says "Blessed be the lord...."

Other than that, seems ok.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering this isn't a problem affecting every disc (and assuming it's not a tremendously large batch of bad discs), isn't it likely that the players having problems with sync will be corrected with a future firmware update?

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Amazon has removed SPR for sale and waiting for a corrected product. Paramount has told callers that they are working on disc exchange.

QuickKick12

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Excellent review. Makes me want to see the movie again, unfortunately don't have a copy yet. I would surely get a copy of this movie. I saw this movie with my Dad. He said the same regarding the realism of the film. He was a witness to World War II, only seven years old then. Oh, can't wait to watch it again.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Paramount confirmed the audio sync issue with this release and is working on sending new copies to retail and working on a replacement program.

The sapphire series is really shining with 50% of their releases being botched. Regardless of whether you experience a sync issue or not, you should consider exchanging your disc. Who knows down the road whether or not newer players will play the disc properly?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
That's what I'm thinking. I don't have the issue but unless there's confirmation that this is somehow limited to a bad batch of discs I guess I need to do the replacement to be safe.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Unfortunately my copy of the Sapphire release was already on it's way from Amazon..in transit. I had to call them about it and they emailed me a shipping label to return it once it is here. They had no idea when they would get the updated orders in. Can't stop the order in transit either now so f it but at least I'll get my Event Horizon BD that is coming with it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Not to knock Paramount, but since the studio only released a few films in their sapphire series, you would think they would at least have had someone view the entire film on blu-ray before they pressed the discs. I briefly worked for a company that did just this on high profile titles.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well Netflix just sent me a copy so I guess I'll see if I notice the synch/

Mutley

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael J Sheridan
Even though my issue is minimal, I might as well replace anyway. Bad is Bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks