What's new

HSU cylinder type sub (vs) SVS type (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Are there any specs on the HSU TN1220 output versus a comparable SVS offering? Taking into account the fact that the HSU driver is top firing and the SVS is bottom firing...are there big sonic differences? Why is the HSU top firing...It makes for a top heavy set-up.It appears that SVS with their Ultra line is a hopped up TN1220 (more expensive-sophisticated driver and porting). Are build qualities similar? My gut feeling is that SVS has taken the HSU design to a new level...am I wrong? Does anyone have experience with both? In no way am I putting down HSU...I currently own (2)VTF-3's and am satisfied with their performance...just idle interest in how others look at the two approaches to a similar design.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
The main difference is that the Hsu cylinders need active EQ to get the flat response down low. That eats up amp headroom, which may or may not be an issue depending on the volume.
I think the general consensus around here is that if you have the room, the SVS is the way to go.
BTW, (2) VTF-3s ??? You must be a bass-addict. :D

BryanZ

Screenwriter
The HSU design is a solid one. That being said, I didn't care for the active eq needed nor the top heavy design. So I took the plunge and went with the SVS 20-39CS and haven't looked back.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Mike when-ever I see your posts I think to myself he is the member who runs a couple of VTF-3s. I run a couple of 15" velos so your name has stuck with me. I plan on collecting a variety of subs over time, could this be the case with you? I think a duel SVS will be next then a DIY project so I can tell Dustin how wrong he is:D

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Steve, your correct...I think I am going sub crazy! I definitely want to get an Ultra from SVS...but I am also excited about the prospects of building the 22" enclosure from Stryke or the 24" offered by [email protected] that incredible Tumult driver and (2) 18" PR's. According to John at Stryke a single Power15.2 should be able to do a good 10dB more from 16-20Hz than a pair of VTF3's! I can hardly wrap my brain around that! How about Dual 15.2's and a Crown K2.......Just need the economy to turn around a little...or get a divorce...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Heck Mike I have been thinking the same choices. I know what you mean about WAF. I just brought up cutting back on Christmas this year and then a few days latter I was talking about getting a couple more subs:D . What can I say. We have our priorities. Mike are you still running both subs or did you decide to sell one?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you guys just get it over with and put 8 Tumults in an infinite baffel with a couple Crown K1's and a good parametric EQ. Mmm, 40L of Vd ;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I think I caught everything in there but the "dsr". What does that mean?
But yep, as long as x = 4.356893 that should kick the crap out of a bunch of Tumults ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the good word Dustin. When I proceed, then that is what I shall go with. The dsr is a new hi-bred EQ that is infusible into the mainstay.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
You guys are speaking a different language...I am still banging rocks together to make fire...and yes I have both VTF3's side by side in a corner. For music I have my Denon sub-out set to "minus" 10...12 is off. For movies I CRANK IT (still slightly below ref however). Switching topics...What do you all think about the Tumult vs the HE15? Does trhe Tumult exibit the inductance hump at 70hz?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hay Mike I am with you. I am just giving Dustin a hard time. I would have to let him answer your question to. I have not tried side by side yet. I have parted them and then decided the stack worked best for me. Well thats what the meter says. Mike have you had a chance to pick up a meter yet? Sounds like you have. If so do you calibrate your subs individually and then power them both up and notice a +6db over what you calibrated at? I find I like my receiver at +1 to +2 on a scale of -10 to +10. The gain on the subs are set to 2 1/4 btm and the top sub is at 2 3/4 gain on a range of ten. This is a +2db reading individually and a +8db collectively.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
That's exactly how I calibrated them! The problem is I calibrate and then I start monkeying around with everything. I always seem to run the center +1db hot and adjust the sub by ear. In doing that I know I run the danger of running it too hot, however. To make sure I am not over driving the subs I actually listened to LOTR at reference and stuck my head about 1 foot from the subs to see if I could hear any distress...pretty smart don't ya think!! :b

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You are a smart one Mike. I don't know how you can listen to LOTR at reference though? I could not take it. I guess I am getting old.:frowning: I find myself changing the sw setting with every movie I watch. Depends on who is home, the movie, how much of a bass fix do I need?-------.....I ran my center hot for some time and thought I liked it but no more. I find myself cutting the sub back on account of listening at a higher level with the center at calibration. I plopped in Spider-Man last night and noticed not all was well. I had to re-calibrate for the surrounds were turned off and the settings were cleared. Do you think this could be the daughters factor problem? The things we Dads have to put up with! It's worth though.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I couldn't buy a TN1220 if I wanted to. I have kids and they are top heavy and the speaker is uncovered. 2 very bad aspects when you have kids. They aren't that yougn but young enough not to be trusted by themselves around a $1500 setup.

The 20-39CS+ has to be physically pushed over with a good shove and even if you did the driver is on the botton any wouldn't take any damage.

HSU needs to make his TN series more stable w/ a base plate or something of that nature, and for guys like me with kids, a grille of some kind.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Steve, Your not getting old...you still have good ears!! I am afraid my job is doing bad things to my ears...I fly for Delta and I probably need to invest in a noise canceling headset...especially with this hobby. I usually listen to movies at -15 and "0" is reference. I was just experimenting to see if Dual VTF3's could play at reference...because of the size of the room they came up a little short.How was Spider-man? Did they do a good job on the soundtrack? I did notice it was in 5.1...I wish more releases would be in THX EX or DTS ES. Can't wait for the new release of LOTR in DTS SE discrete! Just for the heck of it I rented The Scorpion King. Movie is what you would expect...but the 5.1 mix was a little flat.It's hard to beat LOTR, Monsters Inc.,TPM for sound!!!!!I hate to admit I watched BladeII...had great sound!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure anymore. The Tumult's voice coils got changed a little at the end upping a value that can effect inductance. I don't think the Tumult will exhibit an inductance hump but I'd check with Dan Wiggins. Reguardless since an EQ should be standard fair, it's not really an issue. The Tumult does have XBL^2 and over a litre more Vd than the HE15 though.
But remember the Tumult was a driver designed from input in a huge thread in the DIY/Advanced section. The Tumult's purpose for existance is to be used in small sealed enclosures with Linkwitz Transform circuits. A Tumult in a 16" cube with an appropriate LT and 1600W of power should be good for over 100dB from 16hz on up and over 110dB from just below 30hz on up. Would be really fun to take one of these into a Velodyne dealer ;)
But it should also work in an allignment similar to the one recommended for the HE15.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ya Spider-Man was OK. Good soundtrack and picture. I had a 14 hr. day yesterday and will watch it again now that I am more in-tune. If you are in the plane on your job with Delta are you not shielded from the noise? I usually listen from -25 up to -13. I thought the sound on the scorpion King was great and I liked it better than I thought I would. I like Blade I better than II. I did buy II. I thought the sound was great but a little over-board in Vamp content. I really like how Blade I starts out and just keeps going. How about that scene where that guy says in a funny way "I'm sorry you must have a invitation"? That was just to much for Blade to take. I guess the Phantom Menace is coming out in DTS. I wonder if I should pick up another copy? I read your last thread and it was very interesting. You will here allot or it will just slide buy.:emoji_thumbsup: "Fly big D fly".--Hunt for Red October;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The main difference is that the Hsu cylinders need active EQ to get the flat response down low. That eats up amp headroom, which may or may not be an issue depending on the volume.
This is certainly repeated often as a "disadvantage" of the Hsu 1220, but the "low-Q" alignment of the SVS models rolls off at approximately the same rate, and would require the same boost for the same response. In fact, Howard Ferstler used the Hsu Optimiser unit with his 16-46 to do just that.
I believe the new models are aligned similarly(?).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>This is certainly repeated often as a "disadvantage" of the Hsu 1220, but the "low-Q" alignment of the SVS models rolls off at approximately the same rate, and would require the same boost for the same response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks