What's new

How tough are Prontos? (1 Viewer)

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Physically, I mean. I am ready to buy one but realized that my living room is hard on remotes. If I am not knocking the remote off of the arm of the Lazy Boy (onto a carpeted floor), I'm sitting on it or the dog (big dog) is sitting on it. Would a Pronto be short-lived in my house, or is it more robust like my Sony RM-VL900 (which I never ever worry about)? I'd hate to spend the money (and time setting up a Pronto) only to have it die from a fall off of the armrest.

Thanks,

Brian

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm as big a pronto supporter as you're going to find around these parts but even I have to question if the pronto is the right remote for you given what you're telling us. Its not super brittle but I doubt it would last to long if you kept dropping it on the floor

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
If they are that fragile, how do you guys keep from damaging them? Am I the only person who keeps his remote on the arm of the Lazy Boy while watching TV?

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
It's got a glass screen!!! Nuff said? Seriously though, I've dropped mine, had it slip off the arm of my Lazy Boy Sofa, but I've got very thick carpet.

Jim L

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
I've knocked my Pronto off the coffee table three times onto a very hard floor (parquet over concrete) that has a rather thin carpet. It hasn't broken yet, but... each time it was "dead" when I picked it up. That was scary.

Fortunately, it beeped and recovered after sitting on the recharger for a few minutes. My guess is that the impact disconnected the batteries briefly.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Well among other things my Pronto has been knocked off the lazy boy a few times on to the carpet, & its still going strong.
I'd say the Pronto is pretty damn tuff!
I was hesitant at first to dish out the bucks for a Pronto, but after trying a few other universal remotes unsatisfied, I sprang for a Pronto & have not looked back.
It has more capabilities than I have time.
I now could not live without it.
Go for it! :)
Todd

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The Pronto (TS1000, TSU2000 and TS6000) and the other name
clones such as the Marantz and Yamaha and Onkyo variants are
all based on the same hardware. This remote uses a fairly
heavy LCD screen that can become dislodged from the PC Board
after a hard spill. There are numerous users at www.remotecentral.com
who have successfully managed to kill thier pronto's after
such hard falls.
I have a Pronto Pro and I guard this remote with my life.. I
also own a Doberman Pinscher who is, lets just say a 100LB
LAP DOG! The remote has taken a spill or two onto the floor.
Thankfully I have not damaged the remote and I will continue
to be as anal with it as I possibly can. These are not cheap
throw away's and they deserve some care and attention IMHO.
I can not say if this is the remote for you, that is a choice
you alone can make. Can you exercise care? Can you keep from
falling asleep in the Lazy-Boy with the remote in your lap?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Prontos and Marantz RC5000s are nicely made, and I've dropped my RC5000 a lot (onto carpet, or on the table) and it's been sat on, and it still works. Sometimes if it's dropped on the floor it doesn't work for a couple of minutes (as someone else said, it's probably the batteries taking a jolt) but after that it's fine.

What I find so cool is that I was able to make a great configuration using the editor on my PC that makes it easy to go from watching cable to watching DVD, to watching HDTV, seamlessly setting the right modes and inputs for receiver, TV and device and presenting the right 'UI' for the device. It's awesome!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Rajee,
Sad isn't it? The remote retails for as much as my THX
Receiver retails for.. Thank god I did not pay retail for
either one! :)
I just wish someone made a leather case for the Pro.. They
make em for the lower models but us pro users get nadda..
Wahhh :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
For what they charge for a Pronto Pro, the thing should be equipped with air bags. :)
But seriously, I've had my Pronto fall from the coffee table or lap onto a thinly carpeted floor and no damage other than having it reset itself. They're well built--it's much more solid than many OEM remotes, but they're not indestructible, and they are heavy as far as remotes go.
With some care (and perhaps a rug in the area where Pronto tends to fall) you should be fine.
KJP

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. I am not against modifying my remote using habits slightly to take better care of a Pronto than I do my current remote. I just wanted to make sure that the Pronto wouldn't be toast from the occasional drop to the carpet, etc. It sounds like if I am just a little more careful about not leaving it on the armrest all the time and not letting the 90 lb dog step on it, I should be ok.

Brian

Lee L

Supporting Actor
My Pronto has been dropped probably 25 times either by just clumsiness on my or my wife's part or by being jumped on by one of our dogs. My wife even goes to sleep on it occaisionally on the sofa (not good for battery life :) ) I have had it reset a few times but it always came back. I have seen that many people at remotecentral have bought a new screen for about 40 bucks and replaced them themselves. One good thing about the pronto is that you do not lose your configuration since it is a file on you computer. At least if you have to do major surgery or replace one you can just re-load your config file.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Mine is 2.5 years old. I've dropped mine several times (twice onto my tile floor from waist height- those were heartstoppers!!), and it's still going.

After 2.5 years, though, I do notice that the LCD looks like it's starting to "get old." There are small areas of uneven shading uniformity beginning to form.

Todd

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I hope I can learn to treat a Pronto properly because I just ordered a TSU2000 that should be here tomorrow! I can't wait to get customizing! I considered the MX-500 but decided to go the Pronto route because I really like the idea of being in total control (no matter how long it may take me to get to that point programming-wise). As long as I can get used to the touchscreen, I should be good to go. Believe it or not, my wife talked me into getting this remote so that she can learn to operate the HT equipment. With a lot of programming, hopefully I can get a remote that is easy for anyone to use.
Thanks again for the help,
Brian

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thankfully I have not damaged the remote and I will continue to be as anal with it as I possibly can
Yep, this is the way I am with my TSU2000. I try to be very careful with it and am pretty anal about it. I know you can replace the screen, but I don't want to even have to go there.

For what it's worth, if you are a person who likes touchscreen remotes, the Pronto may be worth the risks (of breaking it, having it fall off the arm of the sofa, etc.). As others have said, it's just so great to be able to customize it to work as you would want a remote to work, and to be able to design the screens to do anything at all.

Chris Loker

Auditioning
I started getting the banding - uneven LCD wear as well. I have had mine at least 2.5 years as well. I may need to look into the $30 surgery method and get a new clean screen.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Seems like most of the feedback so far is consistent with what I have experienced with my remote. I have had the remote dropped off of the couch/Chair several times (and each time my heart stops) when I hear it hit the ground. But to date the worst thing that has happened is that the Pronto shut itself of for about 2-4 minutes before coming back on and working like a champ. Now after saying that I would be more careful with a Pronto because of the screen then a standard remote just dont sit on it as that could break it if you did it too hard.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CashaMurphy231
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale