What's new

How to Train Your Dragon Live Action Film (2025) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got to see the original film in a theater again after 14 years, and the experience renewed my skepticism about the remake.

This is clearly Dean DeBlois' franchise. He co-wrote and co-directed and the original film and completed the trilogy as the sole writer-director for both sequels. Now he is writing and directing the remake as well. I love the entire trilogy and therefore can't automatically dismiss this one. it is coming from the sane guy.

However, the original is so good and holds up so well as it is that DeBlois doesn't really seem to have much room to improve by directing it again. Obviously, computer animation has come a long way since 2010. You can see that across the entire trilogy because the animation becomes more sophisticated with each successive film. So it follows that dragons and other elements of the remake that are still going to use CGI will be more sophisticated than they were the last time DeBlois made this movie. That's just the nature of technological advances. But the storytelling in the movie we already have is so strong that I'm really not sure what more needs to be said with the live-action version.

That being said, I understand that Universal's primary goal with the remake is to make money. I expect it will probably succeed in that respect. But I hope DeBlois has a creative reason for wanting to do this and it isn't exclusively about the money for him.

We'll see. Fingers crossed this is good.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I noticed while looking the release schedule earlier that this is opening against a Pixar film, Elio, on the same weekend next year.

Obviously, counterprogramming can work very well if you have two movies that are different enough from each other for both to coexist successfully. Obviously, the most recent high-profile example of this is Barbie and Oppenheimer. There was also The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia! back in 2008. The animated How to Train Your Dragon 2 and 22 Jump Street came out on the same exact date in 2014 that this is scheduled for next year.

However, I think it is counterproductive for Elio and How to Train Your Dragon because they are largely going after the same audience. I wonder if one or the other will end up moving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks