What's new

How to smooth a bass curve? (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
My system is in a relativly small room. 14' across X 10' deep flat celing.
I'm using an Onkyo TX-Sr605 reciever mated to a media pc via digital out.
Speakers are Cerwin-Vega LS12 mains, matched center, and bookshelf speakers for side fill. sub is a XLS-15S by Vega as well.
I know they are Vegas and all. But my problem is the peaks. The room resonates at two or three low frequencies. If i turn the volume down to avoid the peaks resonating as bad frequencies esp. voices are hard to make out.
I can't find anyway to EQ the sound coming out of the computer and the reciever only seems to adjust for delay and speaker capability.
Is there anyway to map a curve and apply an EQ filter without spending more than my whole systems worth?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I flattened my sub response so it is + or - 3db from 100hz to 17hz. I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, an analog SPL meter, free test tones and a free spreadsheet. That all this allowed me to graph the current response, make virtual changes to get the response where I wanted it and then enter those settings into the BFD. I have covered the process in detail in the Speakers and Sub section.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What he said. Short of buying an outboard active crossover (such as the Antimode 8033)...
Find the best spot for your sub...then get one of the Behringer.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The mini-dsp is the new rage at some other DIY forums. You have to buy it from China and depending on the model, install it in a case but it is much more powerful than a BFD for taming the bass response.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this question. I thought there would be a quick program EQ I could run on the computer to cut back the resonate frequencies.
That said. I got some software from home theater shack.com that will map out my curve so I can see what i'm working with, just got to find a good microphone somewhere. The feedback destroyers look like they can be had for $100-150 range, So its dooable if that is what is needed. I just know nothing about them or what they do. Time for some more research!
I see the REW software makes refference to these Mini-DSP systems as well. I found a site that sells them minidsp.com Just gota figure out what type of unit I would need there for one sub.
Like I said. Bit off WAY more than I was expecting.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
You can probably find some pre-owned manual graphic equalizers on one of the auction sites like ebay or craigs-list. They're similar in concept and easier to use but can't do as good a job.
Another alternative is to upgrade your receiver to one which has built-in room equalization software. But that'lll probably be significantly more expensive.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
When you say a receiver with room equalization you are not talking about level and range adjustments that the Onkyo does right? Are there receivers that listen to the response and change the curve as well?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually SV Sound had a product - a subwoofer equalizer with software using Audyssey, but the product has been discontinued.

Here's more info: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?125584-SVS-AS-EQ1-discontinued-by-SVS

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Audyssey MultiXT 32 does EQ the subwoofer. Denon includes it at lower price point than Onkyo. Onkyo however includes MANY other things...instead of XT32 at lower price points.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The BFD is pretty straight forward. I haven't used REW even though it works great with the SPL meter I have. I just went the manual route with the meter, test tones and a spreadsheet. But it was dead on. I went from a boomy mess to awesome bass in about an hour.
The Shack is a great site. A lot of the DIY guys migrated over there as the DIY section here slowly died out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks