What's new

How to save streaming audio? (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
The BBC is beginning its 13 episode dramatization of LOTR this Saturday. It will be broadcast on the internet with Realplayer.

Is there anyway to save that streaming audio signal to the hard drive?

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Bill,

There is a setting in the software that encodes audio for RealAudio that allows the producer to enable or disable recording/saving.

I have never actually tried recording/saving so you would have to check the support portion of real.com to find out how to do it, but you may be out of luck either way if the producer disabled that option which seems likely to me.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Jason,

Thanks. I suspected that recording (saving) had been disabled by the BBC (imagine that!) when there was no ablility to save under the "file" drop-down.

I may try connecting a receiver and recorder (probably a VCR, given the hour length of the program) to the computer. I can then download the recorded program to the hd, and create my own cd.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
There's a program out there called X-FileGet or something like that. It acts like RealAudio, but saves the stream as it comes in. I can't seem to find my copy; I think I deleted it, but it's out there somewhere. Try searching around the 'net using google.com.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
connect either a tape deck or a mini disc player to your sound card. i use an Aiwa mini-system, the 1/8 jack comes out of my computer and into the AUX in the back of the system. if i want to record i put a tape in and press record. I also use my mini disc player for recording mp3's on my hard drive to mini disc. the 1/8 jack from the sound card goes to the 1/8 jack for microphone on the mini-disc recorder.

just a thought

---jay

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Michael and Greg,

The 2bys site is gone. Apparently the company is out of business. There are a couple of sites that have a beta version for download. Reading some user comments, the beta versions are temporary and need a key to remain active. Of course, no one has a key with the manufacturer defunct. And the download sites seem to be Russia. That gives me pause.

If x-fileget works as advertised, it sounds like just what I wanted.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Bill,

After the broadcast is done streaming, check your WindowsTemporary Internet Files folder. Sort the files by date and you may see a large .ra file, that's the broadcast you just watched. Copy that file to another directory. I've used this method with .asf files.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If you have a Creative sound card go into the sound recorder (or if you have another good recording program) and set the source to record as "What You Hear". I've done this and it works perfectly. Just be sure to adjust the sound recording quality to an omptimum level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks