What's new

How to connect PC to receiver? (1 Viewer)

Boris_V

Agent
How do i connect my soundcard to my receiver to transport digital material to it? I will use the digital out of my soundcard and the digital coaxial in of the receiver. The only cabel i found in stores is the jack to cinch (two of them - the cable splits at the other side so you actually have two cinch connectors there). Is this the correct cable? So i have to plug in the jack to the soundcard and just one of the cinch to the receiver? Does the quality of the cable matters since the transmitted data is digital? Will i be able to send plain stereo sound to the receiver throug this cable, too?
Please give me advice.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Boris I noticed your from Slovenia, which probably explains why I have never heard the word cinch before. I use 3.5 mm stereo plug, which is plugged into the SP/DIF of my SB live 5.1. The stereo plug is converted to a mono phono jack at the other end, which connects to the digital coaxial of my denon 3801 reciever.
If you do have the soundblaster live and are wondering why the 5.1 test tones arent working, this is because the only 5.1 signal that u have is from a dvd. The test tones are in PCM format which carries the left and right channel information only.
I hope this info helps Boris.
Aaron

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
as long as you have a digital-out and the right connection cable (should've come with your sound card) that goes from 1/8" mini to female coax. then just run a normal coax cable to the digital-in on a 5.1 receiver. also, make sure you have the right drivers installed. that works for me!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Boris_V

Agent
Sorry, i didn't know that the term cinch isn't used in the USA. Cinch is equal to RCA (phono jack is also the same, i think). However, i managed to connect the soundcard (SB Live 5.1) to my receiver. I used the cable i described earlier in my previous post. One end of it with the minijack goes to the digital out of my soundcard, the red (right channel) RCA connector on the other end of the cable has to be connected to the digital (coaxial) in of the receiver. The only doubt i have is with the quality of the cable since i bought one of the cheapest i could get. But since the data is send to the receiver digitaly and the length of the cable is only about two meter the quality isn't important, is it?
Anyway, thanks for your replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks