What's new
World Wide Stereo

How do you turn on your sub with no AC outlet on receiver? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older Sony ES receiver that occasionally drops audio or makes clicking noises so I have been looking at new receivers. One of the first things I noticed is that the new receivers do not have an AC outlet in the back to plug a sub into (at least that's the case with the Onkyo's I'm looking at). My Sony receiver has one so that when I turn my receiver on, the sub automatically turns on too.

So without an AC outlet on the receiver, how do you all turn your subs on? Or do you just leave them on 24/7?

728x90

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Most subs have an "auto" sense and come on automatically when they detect a signal then go to sleep after a period of time without a signal. Plus the A/C outlet on the back of a receiver would not be a good place to plug in a sub, since the sub could draw significantly more power than that outlet is rated for. Those are better for cd players, cassette decks, stuff with much lower power demands.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Marko Berg

Yes. I turned my subwoofer on ten years ago and just left it like that.

Same here. I wouldn't power my sub off my receiver. They turn on and off with a trigger; in sleep mode they use minimal power. Besides, my sub is about 20' away from my receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.