House on Haunted Hill (1958) OAR

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Nov 30, 2009.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Most sources claim aspect ratio to be 1.85:1 but it says "ORIGINAL FULL FRAME EDITION" on the back of the Legend Films release.

2. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    The Warners DVD release of the 1958 film was in widescreen 1.85:1. The DVD was released in 1999 and is now out of print. This film has been in PD hell for years until Warners re-did it when it released the remake in 1999. I guess is it is now back in PD hell again.

3. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

You can still pick up original Warner disc double-featured with a remake. That disc is in print.

4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

It's 1.85 and I just bought the double-feature DVD (with the re-make) for 3 bucks at Big Lots!

5. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I just bought this DVD at Big Lots. I'll return it and hope to find the double feature dvd.

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

As I recall, the original WB DVD had both a 1.33 full frame and a 1.85 version on each side, and I may be wrong, but the double feature DVD with the remake only presents the 1.85 version. I'd just as soon get the original DVD - I like Geoffrey Rush but I'm not interested in the remake.

7. IanD

IanD Stunt Coordinator

The film is 1.85:1 for sure. The Legend is open matte but I got it for the Mike Nelson commentary.

8. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I have several version of HoHH and the most interesting one is the Roan release that is letterboxed but you can barely see through the black bars. So Vinnie Price walks by and you can see his feet under the letterbox bar ;).

I also saw that HoHH double feature at Big Lots as well as the release from Legend Films with the Mike Nelson commentary track and colorized version.