What's new

Hooked up my RP-82 Now I have DVDA and SACD! (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Well I set up my RP-82 today. The less than 1 year Toshiba had a bad case of the hiccups and I wanted DVD-Audio! I am using interlaced mode due to 5 year old Sony KV35V65 direct view without component availability (using S-vid with DA5ES as switcher).
Video- Can't really see too much of difference vs my Toshiba 2710 (It has been two weeks since watched DVD on Tosh d/t traveling xmas). I was fearful of only a onetime zoom but that works fine seeing that I would only zoom once on skinny widescreens for the wife and kids. Remote sucks, but thats why I have a MX-500 that handles it all. On screen set up was easy.
Audio- 1 gripe, it seems that both the digital and analog are always emitting something because I have to select multichannel 2 for DVDA. On my 222ES SACD changer, when sacd is on, there is no digital output so my receiver goes right to multichannel 1 input and plays the analog channel. If the next cd is non sacd, then autformat takes over via digital coax. Now with the 82, if I have been listening in DVDA and want to watch a movie, I must hit autoformat decode on my DA5ES or it will use the 82 decoders(Which nobody wants! Believe me). Oh well, I will revisit this issue with both manuals when I have time to make sure I am not missing something(which I probably am).
Any way, DVDA, I listened to Evis, Metallica (awesome!), Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly (not as bad as I have read),and Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (very impressive). The onscreen speaker management is not very good because you cant adjust this while listening to DVDA. The sub also emits no sound during test mode either. I do like the sound.
Now I really can't compare DVDA to SACD seeing that I own none of the same software in both formats so I won't open that can of worms yet! :D
Over all pleased with my $206.00 toy:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, great! It's good to have both high-resolution formats -- very good. I am looking to get the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc. How do you like it?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
So far so good. Like SACD you can really tell the differences in each song of a greatest hits type package representing various recordings. Some have a bit tooooo much reverb in the surrounds. In the Getto is spooky!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, thanks for the comments. I am hoping to pick up the Elv1s on New Year's Day. Based on all the positive talk about it, I can't wait to give it a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks