What's new

Home Theater Hardware section should be split up (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
There's WAY too much stuff in the home theater hardware section. It should be broken down into TV, receiver, speaker, and DVD sections at LEAST.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We are going to start splitting up areas

into subsections very shortly.

We will start with the TV area which will be

split into individual brands.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When I saw Paul's request I thought, "No way are they looking to further fragment Hardware!"
Wrong again Jeem!
But I'm all giggly about the thought of exchanging tweeks with other Philco owners. :)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Ronald - I don't think you should split anything by brands, that will be like the Home Theater Spot, which doesn't see much cross-brand comparisons.

I think you should split it by component type so DVD brands can be compared with one another, speakers, TVs, receivers, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul,

Actually, we lose people to HOME THEATER SPOT

because they break things down to make it easier

to find the information one needs in picking up

a particular brand.

If you read what I wrote, I said the TV area

would be broken down by brands. I said nothing

of the HARDWARE area. That, I would estimate, will

be broken down by components.

DVD PLAYERS, RECEIVERS, REMOTES, etc.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Ronald, thanks.
How about adding a 'quote' feature now (like other boards I use), so we can respond to specific points in a previous message in a thread? :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a great idea, no more having to troll through countless SVS praises when trying to find some info on a DVD player. great job :emoji_thumbsup:

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
How about adding a 'quote' feature now (like other boards I use), so we can respond to specific points in a previous message in a thread?
Like this? There is a Quote button available when ypu post a message. ;)

Gary_E

Second Unit
I like the Spot's TV forum broken down into brands. Since I have a Toshiba, I don't care to read about the other brands. It makes it easier to surf, in my opinion.

-Gary

PaulKH

Second Unit
Thanks Oscar. To use the quote button I guess I have to cut and paste what I want to quote from the original message into the quote dialog box, right? Other boards just have a 'quote' button right on the thread display for each message, like the other buttons this board has for editing, PM, etc.

DanaA

Screenwriter
First off, I love your site. Now, onto business. I came here to address the same issue(s) that is being talked about in this thread. My wish is that we could further subdivide sections such as mentioned above. However, I think there should be general sections covering wider aspects of home theater. If we just, for instance, had a speaker section, it would make it more difficult for those that want suggestions on putting together an entire home theater. I feel we should break it down some for those that just want to post about something like a particular brand of TV, but there should also be forums for things like home theater as a whole.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tell you guys what....

For SUGGESTION PURPOSES ONLY....

Tell me how YOU would break down the HARDWARE AREA

(by components)and the TV AREA (by brands).

While your suggestions will greatly help us

decide what to do, it is no guarantee that we

will subdivide or use every suggestion.

In other words, I don't want anyone to be disappointed

if for some reason we did not use your idea.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Ron! I would like to chime in before we start breaking them down.

If my TV starts having a wavy pattern when I turn it on, it is not necessarily a Toshiba problem. If I put it into a 'Toshiba' thread, it will get a limited viewing, so it might be better to have separate sections for TV brands ONLY for tips & tweaks, and one section for problems.

As for Hardware, we could run into the same problem. If someone could make a list of the thread subjects for the last month in the hardware section and figure out which subject has the most and just break that one off, we'd be better off.

My first choice would be one for cables and connectors. I think speakers run a close second.

Glenn

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Here's my $0.015 after taxes on the idea of splitting things up:

I agree that some additional areas should be set up for certain commonly discussed items--e.g. Hardware could be split up into DVD Players, Speakers, Subwoofers, etc., but there should also be a general hardware area for dealing with systems as a whole or for items that don't fit the specific sub-forums--for example, there wouldn't be much point in setting up a forum for power strips--someone wanting opinions on those, or a home theater in a box, or the "how do I get the best sound from my Stonie SuperDuperAudioCeeDee player on my Yamaki receiver?" threads could post to the "general" hardware area. OTOH, someone with specific questions on SVS subs would post to the subwoofer forum, speaker questions go to the speaker area, etc.

I think the same sort of thing could apply to the TV area. There could still be the generic "TV and Projectors" area, and then some sub-forums for specific popular brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony and Mitsubishi for example. This way those with Toshiba TVs have an area to discuss their issues, while there is still a general area for the questions like "What brand TV should I buy" or for less common brands, or comparisons.

What about the Software area? I'm not sure how it could be split up since the "hot" topics change from month to month as new releases come out, but there seems to be a lot of the same thing repeated over and over again (the "Pan & Scan is taking over the world" threads come to mind). Maybe a sub-forum for new releases or another one for reviews perhaps? Just a thought.

KJP

John Beavers

Second Unit
Home Theater Hardware:
> DVD Players
> Receivers
> Separates
> Speakers
> Wire
> Tweaks & Accessories
TV & Projectors Area:
> RPTV
> FPTV
> Direct View TV
> Calibration
Polls:
:D
> Silly Polls
> Stupid Polls
> Movie Polls
> Food Polls
> Bodily Function Polls
> Sex Polls
> Thread Killer Polls

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I like John's idea to break down the TV area by display type. Much better than by brand in my opinion - I mean, who would ever visit the Curtis Mathis area? :laugh:
I like the idea of splitting hardware into subwoofers, speakers and electronics but no further. You don't want to cut down too small or low traffic in each area may create many threads posing questions and nobody giving answers. I can't tell you how many times I've been browsing Hardware and stumbled upon a "newbie" question and taken the time to help them out. If their thread isn't in an area where experienced members congregate the quality of replys may go down.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Ron,
It is of my humble opinion, that the only think lacking in HTF is the non-use of the SEARCH function. Most of the equipment/software/ideas/tweaks I have purchased or implemented, since being a member here, have come directly from information found by using the SEARCH function.
If I had a specific question after reading something, I'd simply post to that thread and I got an answer 90% of the time. Some of those threads were six months old and contained valuable information that would have been lying dormant.
The back and forth banter in current threads is only a fraction of the wealth of information contained on HTF.
Problem is, many don't use it or don't know how. An HTF chat discussing the SEARCH capabilities, along with other neat things HTF can offer may be in order.
Hell, it's got to be better than the WARNER chat.:D
This is your HOUSE. I am a guest of both you and Parker. The modifications you have made have all enhanced my visits here and I suspect any future changes will as well.
-Gary
p.s. The transition to the new server went off on my end flawlessly. Thank you Parker! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I think that the idea of breaking up the hardware section is a good one. I only fear that some of the information that crosses product boundaries will be problematic.

Example:

Where would something like 'bass management' go? Could be related to internal circuitry in a processor or receiver. Could be related to speaker settings and the size of your speakers. Could be related to DVD-A players. Does it go into receivers, separates, subwoofers, speakers, or DVD players? Perhaps tweaks? I don't know and I would hope for an obvious destination when I make my daily visits to HTF.

My own suggestion? What the hell do I know but here it goes:

DVD players

receivers/separates

speakers

performance/calibration/tweaks (whatever you call it)

Accessories (remotes, wire, line conditioners, etc.)

FWIW, I believe that the simpler the better. I would hope for a minimal number of well thought out sections.

Ron and Parker,

It's been said thousands of times but I'll say it again because it's no less valid. You've created a wonderful thing here. I have a lot of respect for you two and the mods. I'm glad to see HTF getting more and more recognition outside of the internet.

One last thing, thanks for keeping this place civil. I've lurked on many boards but been unwilling to post due to the nature of the conversation there. I truly believe that HTF does as well as it does due to the quality of the discussions held here.

'nuf said.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>You don't want to cut down too small or low traffic in each area may create many threads posing questions and nobody giving answers. I can't tell you how many times I've been browsing Hardware and stumbled upon a "newbie" question and taken the time to help them out. If their thread isn't in an area where experienced members congregate the quality of replys may go down

JohanK

Second Unit
How about something like this:

Hardware:

General HW

Sources

Processing/amplification

Speakers/subs

Accessories (wire,etc.)

I like Beav's idea for the TV section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks