What's new

Home Theater can really be a frustrating hobby!!! :( (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a home theater system since December 2000 and although I really enjoy a good movie or a good CD, I tend to over-analyze my system and get frustrated with what I do or don't have. Unfortunately, I am picky when it comes to sound and just don't have the money to have the best of the best!
An example of my frustration was when I was trying out a Denon 3802 receiver. I didn't like the upper range for movies. I couldn't enjoy any movies I watched because all I could think about was that darn upper range and how it didn't sound right. It bothered me day and night!
I was testing out a Marantz 8200 and I was getting delays on digital tracks. I actually was losing sleep because it bothered me so much!
I now have an Integra 7.2 and I'm content, not happy but just content. Its good for music and very good for movies and yet things just aren't good enough.
Am I the only one who gets in these moods or does it affect some of you too? I hope I'm not the only one! :frowning:
I'm trying to get into some other activities so that HT isn't my main activity. I'm starting to get into stunt kite flying when the wind is up, I'm trying to exercise more, and now that its the summer amusement parks are open and I can go ride the roller coasters! :D
Oh well, I needed to get that off my chest.... Please let me know if there are others out there too!!!

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Hi Tom,

I see you're in KoP. While I myself don't get too bent out of shape about this level of detail, I understand it. Some friends are similarly afflicted.

Anyway, if you ever want to grab a beer and talk shop, drop a line. I'm in Ambler, 15-20 minutes away.

Maybe a pint or 2 of Lager will lessen your sensitivity to those High-Freq dropoffs.

Also a HTF meet at great Adventure ain't crazy, either. I haven't been on the big coasters in a while.

Later

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I actually was losing sleep because it bothered me so much!
Is this a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder? Seriously...I'm not trying to belittle you. If you are being that obsessive about your equipment then you might have some serious psychological health issues.

The point of this hobby (and any hobby really) is to just have fun. If you aren't having fun then you're not doing yourself any good. You need to learn to have fun with what you've got. If you don't, then you'll never be satisfied...no matter how much money you spend.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I obsess about my equipment quite a bit. I'm fairly pleased with my current setup but I'm always looking for the next upgrade. I actually maintain a "Wish List" in a spreadsheet with prices and stores, prioritized in which order I want to buy them. Whenever I save up enough money I buy the next item on my Wish List. Considerable time and effort is spent rearranging the Wish List according to what new gear comes out and what's most important to me at the time (CD Playback, LP Playback, DVD Playback, etc.)

-Mike...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bill. Losing sleep over a hobby is quite alarming. Things I don't like about my HT annoy me while I am using it, not before or after, and definitly not when I am supposed to be snoring away!

--
Holadem

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Bill - its funny (in a way), but my HT system is the only thing that does this to me. Stressful situations don't bother me too much at work; There are imperfections in my house and car but I just shrug them off.
But if my sound system doesn't make me believe that there is a rock band in my family room then it drives me nuts!
As I said before, I'm trying to get into some different hobbies now so that when I have time I can watch a movie and just enjoy it instead of wondering why it doesn't sound like Bruce Willis is in my room with me.
My expectations are far beyond what I can afford right now, I know that! I know that I have a lower mid-fi speaker set (paradigm monitor series) and have just upgraded from a cheaper reciever (Yamaha 596) to a lower mid-fi receiver (Integra 7.2). Does it sound good? Yes it does, but I am expecting the sound of the Philly Orchestra when I have the equipment on the level of the popular local rock band.
The good news is I know that I have a lot of room to upgrade and I can tell these upgrades will be an improvement. If any of you guys get a chance, please look at my upgrade plan and let me know what you think:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=73950
The Integra 7.2 was my first step, a new amp (2 years down the road) will be my next step. Later on I will add an SVS sub and much later upgrade the speakers.
Until then I'll try to be happy with what I have. I just have to be less critical!

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
And Matt, when things calm down a little at work, I'll have to take you up on the beers. It may just be what I need! :emoji_thumbsup: Any other HTF people in the area?
HTF day at Great Adventure sounds even better!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I always want to upgrade but its all for enjoyment. No matter what I buy something else immediately becomes the weak link of the system. Now, if you are talking about setting it up and working through problems (like if a cable ends up being an inch too short or the sound isn't working) then, yes, I get very worked up. I probably scare my neighbors down the block when I am laying behind my rack cursing like a sailor but its always fun. :) I guess I can compare it to the Dad in "A Christmas Story" who is trying to fix the furnace. I guess this sounds ridiculous but I enjoy all aspects of HT, even the stressful ones. The only time I have had trouble sleeping due to this hobby is Christmas Eve or some other day when I know I am getting new HT gear the next day. :emoji_thumbsup: Now those are great days...
Tom, if I were you I would go over to a buddy's house with a dvd player who does not use external speakers. Throw in your favorite concert dvd and enjoy the magic of those plastic tv speakers for about 20 minutes, go home and you should sleep like a baby.
As far as other hobbies go, you can stay within HT and still find new hobbies. I quit smoking in January after 8 years and I have constantly been looking for things to keep my hands busy (no jokes here fellas). I found that the DIY section of this forum is very helpful for finding new hobbies. I make my own cables now and I am just about to start a plexi rack, followed by a subwoofer. Ultimately I would like to build my own speakers, but I want to get more comfortable with wood working since its been years. And last comment, if it has any interest to you, pick up learning a musical instrument. I play the piano very badly but I can think of no greater satisfaction than playing music. It is a hobby that you can keep forever and it truly is a very rewarding hobby. Sorry if that got a bit off topic. :)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Tom,

You're not alone. I often fall asleep or end up tossing and turning trying to decide what to buy next or how best to tweak some aspect of the system. I spend very little time stressing over work; in fact, the only reason I work is to pay for my hobbies! (Besides food, clothing and rent with which I am quite a miser).

-Mike...

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Mike - glad to hear I'm not the only one... ;)
Jed - I like the musical instrument idea! Actually I am a tuba player, but I haven't taken the instrument out of the closet in about a year (and trust me a tuba takes up a lot of closet space)! Maybe now is the time to start back up!
Thanks for the idea!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've sorta reached a plateau where I'm pretty much happy with what I have, or at least can't justify the expense of another upgrade.

That being said, I have a 6 month old widescreen HD-capable set with no DVI input and an analog output only HD STB, and must scrupulously avoid all threads regarding DVI and HDCP lest I drive myself crazy worrying about whether or not my HD is going to be downrezzed or whether HD DVD will work with my current set.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to sound like a Zen master or something, but I think you already have the answer, you just won't allow yourself to accept it. Happy is a CHOICE. Only YOU can make that choice.
There is also a difference between a NEED and a DESIRE (WANT). I WANT better gear, but I am HAPPY with what I have for now.
I guess I can compare it to the Dad in "A Christmas Story" who is trying to fix the furnace
LOL :D. My fiance always asks how many times I yelled **(insert explative)**! while I was working on the HT or cars.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't watch any movies tonight, but I did play some playstation 2 tonight. I really like the detail I am getting with the Integra. Things do get a little bright after awhile and I'm realizing that its not my mains that are getting bright its my rears that are pointing directly at my ears. I'm realizing that there is much I can adjust with what I have to improve my sound without buying new equipment. I'll have to post some pictures to this site of my room and maybe get some input from the experts on how to improve my layout.
It still is a fun hobby, I just need some help to remind myself that every once in awhile! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks