What's new

Home Alarm Systems (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this isn't off topic, but I think this forum fits the best.

With all the valuable HT equipment I have around my house not to mention my computer equipment, I think it's time to get a security system installed. Any suggestions or experiences you could share with me would be greatly appreciated. I was considering going with one of the national monitoring services like ADT or Brinks.

Thanks!

WarrenHH

Agent
Hi Jonathan, I would suggest that you contact some local installing companies (at least three) and get quotes from them after explaining to them exactly what you want.

You will likely find a small local company, who has been in business for some time, and retains their own monitoring contracts as opposed to selling them to the big guys. (A sure tip off is anything on the paperwork that references the title "Authorized Dealer" or something similar)

You will likely get a better install of custom equipment that is designed to match what YOU want, and not the equipment and system configurations that fall into the profile the big company is advertising.

You might even get an installer who owns the company, and is really interested in you and your concerns.

Also make sure that you are buying the equipment, not leasing it. You should also make sure that they are installing equipment that is not made exclusively for their company. Reason being is that if you become unhappy with their service, and or when the initial contract expires and you can get the monitoring cheaper (big companies raise your rates on a regular basis) you will not be able to have another company put their codes into your equipment and you will have to purchase more hardware to be compatible elsewhere.

Also make sure you are provided with a master user code (one that can assign other user codes) as well as making sure that the installer either leaves the default code for programming in the panel, or provides you with the code that they change it to.

That way you will be able to give that information to another company and they can just reprogram your equipment if it becomes necessary.

Also make sure you get a user manual for the system, and written contracts that explain clearly what you are paying for, and how long your monitoring contract is for.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for price wise!

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Warren

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Warren,

WOW. Thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I get closer to making a decision as to which system I end up going with. Thanks again. Oh, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Jonathan

BruceD

Screenwriter
I, on the other hand have used ADT for the last 15 years in two different homes and can recommend them highly.

They won't go out of business (like a small local might) and they provide service nationwide. If I move they will install another system (same config) at minimum to no charge.

I have multiple zones of protection and multiple motion detectors as well as door contacts.

They respond to an alarm with police very quickly (I know) and are a very professional business.

I have no affiliation with ADT, just a happy customer.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I have been using Ameritech security link for some years now and have been happy with the service, it just sold to ADT and so far so good. I called a small business and they came out and installed my system exactly as I wanted it which means ameritech didn't come out and install it they just work hand in hand together. I know for a fact that the police respond quickly...as I have made a few boo boo's in the past. :b I am not affiliated with any home security service I'm also just a happy customer.

Peace,

Eve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks