What's new

hk 510 vs. 520 - just 5.1/7.1? (1 Viewer)

KerryM

Auditioning
I'm looking for a receiver for my main music setup (secondary TV setup). Right now it's wired for 5.1 and I really can't go beyond that because of room layout.

So I think I'm ready to pick up a HK 520-z or 525-z refurb. All the while I'm thinking - what a waste, I'll never use 7.1, then I come across an HK 510-z at the Harmon Audio site for $100 cheaper than the 520. It looks like the main difference is that it's a 5.1 receiver. Anyone know of any other significant differences that should sway me to buy the 520 instead?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
If it's mainly for Music you won't miss the extra decoding...stick with the 510 and save the money. I now use mine with a 3 channel Chiro amp for the frontstage. You'll still get the HDCD and the main-ins which are extremely flexible when you need some extra amping somewhere in your system. Actually I slightly preferred the 510 amps for driving the highs in a bi-amp configuration when it was paired with a Parasound 855.

mofet_n

Grip
I would stick to the 525. I just returned my hk 320 for the 325 because of the 7.1, because my manager allowed me to (for 100$), and second, I'm sure movies will soon be available in 7.1 (maybe in a few years). SO if you think of keeping your hk for more than 5 years, I say spend the extra 100 bucks on the receiver, because remember, its one of the most important componants of your audio system.
ohh and, it has a built in fan and its also a bus ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks