What's new

Hitachi 51F510 or 51S500..here is the deal (1 Viewer)

Wolfgang.K

Agent
I have secured a price of $2085.00 CDN (before taxes) for 30 days on a Hitachi 51F510. I went today to another store and saw a price of $2699.00 CDN (36 month equal payments no interest) for a 51S500 . I'm sure I can still bring him down on the price.

I have heard so many good things about the S500 is it worth the difference in price?

How much more would you pay?

Thanks,

wk

PeterK

Supporting Actor
We just bought the 51S500 at future shop for $1999. I don't know if the sale is still on but I think it is. you should go find out right away

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Hi Peter,

Wow...was that a new one in a box? That is a great price and actually better than F500.

Curious, was that a negotiated price or a one they were advertising.

The futureshop I was at had a demo 50S500 for around $2599.00

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Wolfgang

The S500 is an older model. The F510 are the new models and they feature the new Super contrast 2 crt's and a new lighter cabinet and HDMI input. IMO the F510 is the way to go ,;)

Robert

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Robert

Futureshop had a sale for all RPTV (excluding Sony)where they paid the taxes. I think the sale ended Thursday. Maybe they can still do something for you.

The F510 is a nice unit, true but the S series is the Ultravision line that has the 5 element lens system superior to the F line.

Wolfgang

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, maybe I should then look at the new S710 series witch has the new CRT and the 5 element lens group . Decisions, decisions

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you don't mind "Refurbished" check www.uecweb.com they have the 51F500 for $949.00 US & the 51G500 for $1049.00 US I also understand UEC is a great place to do business with but I don't know if they ship to Canada?

I believe that the Future Shop $1999. sale which was in their previous flyer was for the 51F500 and not the 51S500.

The picture quality of the 51F510 looks vastly inferior to the 51S500........I compared them closely.....lack of detail in comparison.........new one is slimmer and exactly 50lbs lighter.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Whoa! I have actually been breaking my head with this. I went to Future Shop and B & M and they don't even seem sure of what they have or the differences.

I was even told Hitachi discontinued thei "S" series and only have "F" series this year because they are going RPLCD.

Can Anyone help with details? Kevin are you saying last years S model 51S500 is better than this year's F model 51F510?

Anyone know the dif with last year's Toshiba 51HX83 and this year's 51HX84 besides the number?

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Decisions decisions! For $368.00 more than the 51F510,price at the top of this thread, I can get the 51S500. What are peoples thought on this. Is it worth it?
I am also considering a plasma by Panasonic. The TH-42PA20.
I hope to finalize this by no later than Friday!!

Rolando
My understanding. and from what I read on other threads, the S series will be carried by the specialized shops and not by the large retailers any more.
Yes I do believe that once LCD's and DLP's hit a certain price point it will be no longer beneficial to produce the RP's. It's a matter of a couple years IMO.

If you're still interested in getting something maybe we still can get a better price. Let me know.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I got an Email from Hitachi today. They tell me to go with the new F510 series because of it's new technology. As is often the case with consumer electronics, new technology when incorporated in lower end models can make them better than higher end models that didn't evolve. I will have to go to the store and check on that.

I guess I will go with the F510 and wait a few years to see how lcd licos and dlp technologies mature.:D

BTW the new DENON 1910 DVD is out, think I am going to get one to go with the new TV.

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Robert

Did they elaborate at all other the than that it's newer technology? Granted that the F510 is better than the F500 series but to say that it's better than S500 is interesting to me.

I'd appreciate if you can tell me a little more.

Thanks

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Wolfgang

No they did not elaborate. Mabe they want to push the new models. I agree with you that such a statement sounds a little strange and warrants further investigation.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 51f510 - and its a fine unit - that being said - the s series is a better unit, but its a question of how much more $$ versus picture quality - to me the additional $500 or so was an issue, so I stuck with the f510 - and I think the picture is fine -yes there are some issues that I have been tweaking - such as brightness and corner focus - both of which are better on the s series - again is it worth $500 to me - no because the picture still rocks! Bottom line is all CRT based RPTV's have some sort of issue - there is no perfect set - wheater its the mits red push, the toshiba white line or the lower end hitachi corner focus - they all have them - the best advice is stick to a budget, view the sets out of torch mode and enjoy the fact that most sets produce a great picture and that the technology is as cost effective as it is :)

jim

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Jim

Well said!

I'm off from work so I plan to do a thorough evaluation today!

Thanks for all your feedback everyone! Very much appreciated.

Wolfgang

PeterK

Supporting Actor
my bad. I said I had the S500 for $2000. It is actually the F500. but the price was 2700 not to long ago. there was a price drop at future shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks