What's new

hiss.. the enemy (1 Viewer)

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I admit, I don't have the best components. I always use my computer to play mp3s. I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card. I currently run a cheap 1/4 to rca into cheap couplers into good enough monster cable connects that go to receiver. I got noticable hiss all the time. Perhaps it is my sony de445 amp, but it doesn't do it on a channel w/ no input, such as tape. If I select tape, it has no hiss, except on max 30/30. It is rated at a nasty .7% THD. I got it for 150 though, open box so I can't complain.
What is the best soundcard and connection? I've been looking at SB Live! oem for like $50 shipped. Obviously chosen for digital output. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon
PS. I know a good CD player w/ real cds would eliminate this problem, but I am too poor to afford a cd player and cds. Thanks.
------------------

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
One thing i can think of is to make sure the volume setting on the source (your PC) is as high as possible, because i've noticed sometimes if the source volume is set low and the reciever is high it can cause hissing. To check this, double click the speaker icon in your system tray to bring up the play control and make sure play control and wave/directsound (may be called something else) is set near max. If that doesn't help, it may be either the cables or the sound card. The SB live value is a great card and the digital output might solve your problem.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Actually setting the pc volume to the highest setting will actually cause more hiss. You wanna set your pc volume to 45-50% and then adjust your reciever volume from there.
Aaron

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Jon,
if you are using windows98/ME, consider picking up a Vortex2-based sound card with digital out. models are available with either coax or optical out. I picked up one last week for $26 shipped.
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks