HEY! BRING US 'SURFSIDE 6'!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JeffT., Mar 12, 2014.

1. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

If Warner Brothers Home Entertainment is willing to make it available on "standard" DVD then how about (finally) releasing SURFSIDE 6 (ABC 1960-62) in its entirety?

There are two sensational seasons consisting of 74 hour long black-and-white episodes in the catalogue of this exciting, suspenseful, action-packed detective show. And what a cool bunch of (young) private detectives headlined by Troy Donahue and Van Williams.

Bring on SURFSIDE 6!!!!!

:D

2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Warner Archive is interested in releasing this and all the early Warner Detective TV series but all of them currently have music rights issues that they are trying to clear up. If they can clear them they will release them through he Archive most likely on pressed discs as most of their TV series are.

3. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Some of their (Warner Brothers Home Entertainment) tv stuff has been made available on "standard" DVD lately (ie. MAYBERRY RFD) so if they go with "standard" on this then I'm definitely in.

Somehow I think that SURFSIDE 6 is just too good for the (dreaded) DVD-Rs!

[​IMG]

:D

4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Oh, please. It ran 2 seasons. Do you really think there's more of a market for it than 77 Sunset Strip (6 seasons) or Hawaiian Eye (4 seasons)? If you even get it, it will be an Archive release and you should be happy if you get that. Otherwise, at least Good Life ran most of the series.

5. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    As long as it is a pressed disk, what difference does it make whether it is released by the archives?

6. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i recall liking it, but no longer recall any specifics

7. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

"It's a houseboat- in Miami Beach! Cha-cha-cha!"

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

As Brad mentioned the majority of the Warner Archive TV show releases are on Pressed discs so as long as it gets released is all that matters.

hypnohighball likes this.
  9. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Or really a houseboat on the Warner Brothers backlot version of Miami Beach, complete with borrowed HAWAIIAN EYE fake palm trees, right after they show stock footage establishing shots of the real Miami Beach! Cha-cha-cha!

10. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    This also explains why the "instant" service only has some of the episodes of the various Detective Services.

11. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I definitely agree. They will surely try to work on 77 and Hawaiian Eye first. Fine by me as I been waiting for Hawaiian Eye for what seems like forever. Honestly, I'm doubting we will see any of them anytime soon as WA's speech about the music rights never seems to progress year after year.

12. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Which is why I will continue to enjoy the episodes of 77 and Eye on Warner instant until or unless they become available on DVD.

13. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    DC is releasing a comic book reuniting the Adam West Batman with the Van Williams Green Hornet. It made me think that they had licensed Green Hornet beyond his two episode appearance on Batman, and it made me wonder if Warner might be releasing the series too. If so, I could see WAC releasing this show due to the Van Williams connection and due to its short run. I don't know about the music issues for this particular show, however.

14. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    WBDC didn't license Green Hornet for the upcoming series. It's a co-production of DC (owners of Batman, of course), and Dynamite Entertainment, the company that currently licenses Green Hornet for comics.

15. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Why not release SURFSIDE 6, 77 SUNSET STRIP AND HAWAIIAN EYE? I'd certainly rush to buy all three. Guess that selling the option to stream a show with "music rights problems" isn't the same as selling a physical disc with the same. Hmm, but in reality they ARE selling them either way, aren't they?

16. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    It depends upon how the original contracts were written. Offhand I would say that streaming is a form of broadcasting, so Warners probably can stream the episodes without fear of legal repercussions. A physical disc is a different animal and it is clear from painful experience that studios cannot release vintage television shows on DVD without clearing the music rights (that is, the rights to any music which the studios do not own).

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

They also don't stream complete seasons. The episodes with the big music clearance issues aren't available to stream either.

18. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I love the WB detective shows . Remember watching reruns of them when I was a kid in the 60s . Picked up Surfside 6 on ioffer a few years back . I had never seen that show before . I found it to be a fun show with a very catchy song . I would buy any of the WB detective shows . They all had a very 60s cool feel to them . Hopefully they can get all the music clearance stuff out of the way .

19. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Like others on here, I like the WB detective shows (and westerns) from the late 50s and early 60s and will pick up whichever shows they release.

20. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Stunt Coordinator

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    Although I have never seen this series I would be interested in having it released on DVD. I like TV from this time - especially dramas as I find them much more engaging than most of what is produced these days.