What's new

Help! trying to decide about IPod... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
As Guo said, her name is Alexandra Maria Lara. She starred in Downfall, which received an Oscar nomination this year for Best Foreign Language Film. I haven't seen it yet, but she caught my eye in the brief time she was in the trailer.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Buy.com has some discounts.

New Version! Limited Quantities!
Apple iPod Shuffle - 512MB MP3 Player
$5.00 Instant Rebate
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING!
Special Price!
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...fa0Fhl0BlHK0G4

Apple iPod mini 4GB Silver
$15 Instant Rebate
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING!
Special Price!
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...fa0Fhl0BlHL0G5

Apple iPod Photo 30GB
$20 Instant Rebate
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING!
Special Price!
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...fa0Fhl0BlHM0G6

Apple iPod Photo - 60GB
$20 Instant Rebate
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING!
Special Price!
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...fa0Fhl0BlHN0G7

Apple iPod Photo 40GB
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING!
$20 Instant Rebate (not valid with coupons)
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...fa0Fhl0BlHT0GE

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
GRRRRR! I just bought this 40gig a couple of months ago! If I had waited I could have gotten that slim 30gig with the longer battery life and photo capabilities! Hmm I may just sell it.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Alright, I finally pulled the trigger on the Shure E3c's. Had to order them through ecost, total cost was $189CDN after handling and taxes. I hope I didn't miss out on any ecost coupons...
I hear there's an E4c coming out very soon. With it's release, do you guys think the E3c price could drop?

(second guessing myself based on cost, but I'm sure I'll be happy with them!)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Paul,

I've seen the Shure E3c's price drop about $15 (USD) since I bought mine several weeks ago -- I assume that's because of the soon to be released E4c model. I paid $135, and I've seen them on sale for around $120 recently. So, I assume you've already benefitted from their price drop.

Make sure you try all the different sleeves to find the best fit and sound for your ears. It took me some time to settle on the soft gray sleeves (smallest size). They are the most comfortable and give me the best seal -- I found the foam sleeves too uncomfortable. They were too large for my ears.

I'm sure you'll like them (no pun intended). I really enjoy the sound on my pair. I upgraded from Sony EX71's, which will go to my wife when she gets her birthday present from me in a couple of weeks -- a 6GB iPod mini.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yeah, the 40 gb iPod & iPod Photo were both dropped from the line in the last refresh.

I finally upgraded from my stock Apple buds to the Sony MDR-EX81LP. A remarkable improvement in comfort - the Apple earbuds were maddingly uncomfortable. I could never find a sweet spot in fit.

I'm torn between my Bang & Olufsen earbuds and the Sony's. After a lot of switching back and forth, I believe the B&O's sounds more natural and clear. But while they provide a more secure fit than the Apple buds, they are not nearly as comfortable as the Sony's.

I might eventually pick up either the Etymotics or the Shures to hopefully find the perfect marriage of fit and sound.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I wonder why. People just didn't want all the gigs?

I completely gave up on earbuds. I bought the Sony MDR-EX71LP and wasn't happy with it.

Now I got a Sennheiser over ear headphone and what an improvement in quality.

I do my importing at 192 or 256 kbsp.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
There's a method to the madness.

The 30 GB iPod Photo looks a lot like a replacement for the 20 GB iPod. The 60 GB iPod Photo looks a lot like a replacement for the discontinued 40 GB iPod.

The iPod Photos will probably displace the regular iPod completely in the next revision. The Photos have color, and 50% more disk space, and the photo function doesn't really interfere with the music playing one (so you can ignore it if all you want is a music player).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just read the 30 is a little slimmer and lighter than the 40 was, by not using dual platters or something like that.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
No, Apple dropped the 40 gb iPod Photo, along with the legacy iPod 40 gb.

The 60 gb iPod photo is the replacement for the...60 gb iPod Photo. However, according to the editors at iPodLounge, the '1st' generation of iPod Photos, which includes the 40 & 60 gb iPod Photo, is different from the '2nd' generation of iPod Photos (outside of the packaged accessories).

A review of a wireless accessory shows a likely hardware upgrade/fix in the 2nd gen of iPod Photos.

My new 40 gb iPod Photo has performed like a champ. Perhaps I'm lucky that mine doesn't appear to have any defect with regard to the headphone jack/audio.

The 40 & 60 gb iPod Photos are 2 platter. The new 30 gb iPod Photo is single platter and noticeably slimmer.

HP is set to refresh their iPod line by releasing the 30 & 60 gb iPod Photo. This is in addtion to the extant 20 gb iPod. HP's offerings are identical to the Apple counterparts, both in hardware and firmware.

This partnership doesn't make any sense to me - outside of opening up slightly more channels of distribution, these are models that are nationally available through the Apple website & stores, and through many retailers.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I just got a 30gb iPod Photo for Father's Day. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I haven't had much time play with it yet but so far I love it.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I picked up a 30GB iPod photo a couple weeks ago. It replaced a Dell DJ 20GB player that tended to lock up (and require a paper clip to reset!).

Sound quality is better (less hiss), battery life is about the same. And the iPod is a lot smaller.

I am using Sennheiser PX100 headphones.

Was thinking of trying out a set of Shure E4C. Anyone try them yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks