What's new

Help: Sony STR DE945 vs. Sony STR-DA4ES ? (1 Viewer)

Tom Beski

Agent
A Question for my fellow SONY Receiver Users:

I am currently using the Sony STR-DE945 and have been fairly happy with the features and overall sound with HT. I do feel it is somewhat lacking Power in the Center Channel Output and at times in 2 Channel Stereo.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Sony STR-DA4ES and wondered if this would be considered a noticeable "upgrade." I realize that an AMP and PRE/PRO would be my best option, but they are still over my Budget of about $750-$1,000. (The DE945 does NOT have Pre-Outs while the 4ES does, so I would also gain the flexibility of adding an AMP down the road).

Both units are rated at 110 Watts per Channel, but my local dealer says the 110 Watts in the 4ES are Far Superior if that is possible?

Here is my System:
Fronts: Polk RT800i
Center: Polk CS400i
Rear: Polk F/X 500i
Sub: SVS 25-31 PCi

Room Size 13x26 with 18 foot ceiling (which doesn't help).

Should I go for the 4ES, or save this money for Separates in the future??

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This would be an unquestionable upgrade in power and sound quality. It should be enough power for a room that size as well.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4ES and have had many high end systems (I'm 53 yrs old smile~!).

You would be more than happy with the sound quality and the versitality of the SONY DA4ES receiver....

Its really a best buy for the bucks.

I got mine at www.elegantaudiovideo.com for about $640.

Best of luck!
Alex

Alvin Lau

Agent
I've had a DA4ES for a couple of months now, and I think you'll find a significant improvement in sound quality from your DE945. I've been very happy with my DA4ES. :emoji_thumbsup:

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I replaced my DE945 with a DA4ES and the difference was exponential. There was much more clarity in stereo. It also became 'One large leap for mankind,' in the HT department.

When I initially purchased the 945 I was replacing an 825 and that was one heck of an improvement. When I replaced the 945 with the 4ES it was like replacing a 386 with a 2 Gig Pentium IV. The 4ES sounds cleaner, has much more depth, is tons more flexible and looks better on top of all of that.

I found the 4ES a little more difficult to set up than the 945 but that lends itself to the 4ES' flexibility. There are three things that I do not like about the 4ES:

1. It does not have a true audio passthrough. You must use the audio split function to listen to a different source than that of the current video source. However, you can only split the audio of designated functions. (refer to the manual for the compatible splits)

2. Speaking of the manual. It is one sorry a@@ lame manual. I have no idea how Sony is allowed to publish such garbage. There needs to be some watchdog group that will financially penalize manufacturers that produce such illiterate manuals.

3. Remote is not intuitive. The remote for the 945 may have been slow but at least it was a two way learning remote. I actually still use my 945 remote at times when don't fell like fiddling with my Sony RM-AV3000. The 4ES remote is around here somewhere...........

Anyway, you will be happy with a 4ES. Especially for the price vs. performance/features ratio.

djb

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
It would be a huge step-up. I have a DE-835 and a 2ES, and the 2ES is leaps-and-bounds beyond the 835, so I imagine the 4ES would only be more so.

Tom Beski

Agent
Hey, thanks for all of the feedback.

Now I guess my next question is where to buy the 4ES at the best price. I have heard a few people who bought this receiver from Sammans Electronics in the NY/NJ area. They quoted me $615 Shipped, but Sony tells me they are NOT authorized and thus NO 5-Year Sony Warranty:

SONY E-MAIL QUOTE:
The retailer that you have mentioned is not an authorized Sony dealer. I am afraid Sony does NOT honor the warranty if the product is purchased from a non-authorized dealer.

SAMMANS ELECTRONICS INC
1166 HAMBURG TURNPIKE
WAYNE, NJ 07470

Any suggestions ??
TOM

Paul cbc

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

I too, am interested in buying this receiver WITH warranty. I don't know if others are interested, or if this qualifies for a "power buy" but perhaps we can get something together.
Otherwise, good luck on your search, and sorry to but in.;)

paul

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
At the time when I bought my DA4ES from Sammans they were indeed listed as authorized dealers. The Sony listing of authorized dealers doesn't work right now that isn't verifiable, but I know for a fact that they were an authorized dealer as late as December.

Chances are 9/10 that Sony doesn't know its head from its ***. After all, the Sony website barely knows the DA4ES exists.

Take care.

Tom Beski

Agent
Sony Authorized Dealer Update:

O.K. Who do I believe now??

SONY E-MAIL QUOTE:
The retailer that you have mentioned is not an authorized Sony dealer. I am afraid Sony does NOT honor the warranty if the product is purchased from a non-authorized dealer.

E-Mail Quote From Dennis at SAMMANS:
This item is BRAND NEW - Not Refurbished. It comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, and Full Manufacturer's USA warranty.

Phone Call to Sony 1-800-352-7669
Confirms they are in fact Authorized !!

I live close to Sammans, I may try to check it out this weekend....

Tom

JackS

Supporting Actor
I believe that if a 5yr warranty is included with the pakaging, you have a full warranty regardless of where you buy it. I bought a 50ES a few years ago out of an AFEES catalog. The receiver was shipped direct from Japan and contained minor difference than the US model and also had a 1yr P&L instead of the 5yr. Quality wise this receiver was absolutly the same except for the warranty.

Paul cbc

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

Just got off the phone with Sammans. They said they were an authorized dealer, and that the warranty would be honored. Also sounded competitive on price as noted by NickSP above.:emoji_thumbsup:
I might go this route myself.

paul

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Haven't been following the thread too closely, huh?
Well, my bad Aaron for not reading each line and I hope I will be forgiven for that.

Sammans are authorized because when I asked "Good Guys" here in LA to match price with Sammans, the sales rep called Sony right in front of me and confirmed that they were indeed authorized to sell ES gear.

Jeff_Blanch

Agent
NickSP and Jacques C, How much did you guys pay for the 4ES from Samman's? I just got an email quote of $639 shipped to Nebraska. Did you pay $620 shipped?

I am convinced that the 4ES is the best receiver available for ~$650. Looking forward to getting one with my tax return.

Jeff

C

Chris*Liberti

I found the sony website 2 days before I ordered from them and they are an authorised dealer. I actually printed the page and saved the source code to disc incase sony trys pulling anything if I need warranty service.

HaryR

Grip
I bought mine $615 shipped fromsammans back in november!
Good luck with your purchase, the 4ES is a super receiver!
Hary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks