What's new

Help me find this Root Beer (1 Viewer)

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
My family and I lived in Southern California during the mid to late 80's. Many times, we would have root beer floats as a special desert. We now live in New Zealand, where we can't get the same great root beer we used to in America.

Recently I have made a contact through my work with a man who gets alot of skateboards and skate accessories imported from America. When there is room left in the container, he fills it up with items like Dr Pepper and Big Red gum, among other things. He knows how I like certain American foods, and said to me that if I wanted anything, to make a list of items and give it to him.

Well, the point of my story is this... we are trying to remember the kind of Root Beer that we got in America.

What was the most popular Root Beer in So Calif. during the late 80's?

The only thing I can remember about it was that the can was either mostly brown or possibly tan.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
The other root beers that I can think of is Mug's, Barq's, and my favorite: I.B.C. (looks like a beer bottle).

David

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't think Mug or Barq's was around in the late 80's, but I could be wrong. The ones I can remember were A&W, Dad's and Barrelhead. Maybe you can find the name listed here.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Oh yes, Mugs and Barqs were most certainly around in the 80's, although they may not have been introduced in the California area.

Barqs was the root beer I drank most growing up in Georgia, as A&W (my favorite) was harder to find. Mugs was introduced here in the 80's. I got a huge amount of free samples at the time.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
A & W is the granddaddy of root beers. Been around since the 50's.

Barq's is the rootbeer that is caffinated. Other root bears don't have caffiene naturally. (Thus the slogan, "Barg's has Bite!"

Nothing beats a frosty glass mug of A & W on a warm day, with an order of A & W's corn dog nuggets with honey mustard.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Tim: Sounds like you need your friend to fix you up with a "sampler pack". :)
I would also suggest asking your friend to toss in some Henry Weinhards Root Beer This stuff is about the best root beer on the store shelves right now. It's pricy, but worth it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There's also a "Stewart's" brand that is brown and has an orange diamond logo with the name on it.. Although I'm uncertain if it's fairly new or was around in the 1980's

Jay

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Actually, Jeff, I live in West Tennessee and have for a while now purchased Stewart's Lemon-Lime soda. Not sure how long it's been available her, but I know at least 7 years.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all who replied.

I've asked him for a 24-pack of cans, no particular brand, so we'll just wait and see what he gets.

John Gido

Second Unit
Stewart's Root Beer is "now" bottled from the "Cable Car Corp." in Denver, CO. There was a time back in the 70's & 80's in NJ that you could only get it from a "Stewart's Root Beer Stand" drive-in. Couldn't miss them as they were this awful orange color. Had some of the best "greasy spoon" type food. Back then you could purchase a gallon to take home in a brown plastic wooden barrel type jug. Now you can find the glass bottles in just about any convenience store.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Hires is one of the oldest bootled root beer brands. Go here for a complete list:
http://www.rootbeer.net/RootBeerBrands.html
P.S. Barq's Diet Root Beer doesn't have caffeine, only the regular does. I drink the Diet.
P.P.S. One of my favorites growing up in NYC was a "Black Cow". Root Beer with Chocolate (or sometimes Vanilla) Ice Cream. Yummy!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've got to ask this - just what is this love affair you Americans have with root beer? The only thing we have even approaching the *smell* of the stuff is an embrocation sportsmen rub on their skin in cold weather. Drinking it seems to border on the perverse.

And you complain about our drinks being warm ...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
After browsing the Great Britain section of the "Shop the World" aisle in my local Shaw's Supermarket (which is a division of Sainsbury's), I don't think you have much room to talk. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks