What's new

Help me diagnose a car audio problem (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
After my car was about 3 years old, I began to notice that the (factory) left front speaker would drop out occasionally. Tweaking the volume knob on the radio (factory as well) would usually correct the problem. After upgrading to aftermarket speakers and CD deck, the problem persisted.

Now, it happens more often. In addition, the front right speaker occasionally drops out as well. Again, tweaking the volume control brings it back, sometimes only temporarily.

I assume that there's a problem in the connection between the head unit and the speakers, as the problem happened before and after the head unit and speakers were replaced. How difficult is this to fix? Should I let a pro do it?

Thanks, in advance...

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Could be bad speaker, bad/loose connection or possibly something going on in your head unit like a short or dirty potentiameter sp? controlling your balance.

BTW you might want to also try some of the car forums.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried turning the volume knob from one extreme to the other(with the radio off:eek: ), if it helps you have narrowed the problem to the pot. if it is the pot be ready for the repair bill

James E

Stunt Coordinator
CD deck
strange how one detail changes everything. let's see, how did you wire the head-unit, harness or cut and solder? the former and it sounds like a short in the factory wiring, hunting it down is going to be a pain. Have you considered rewiring the speakers? The later, well, i have no idea.:frowning: good luck getting it fixed.

james

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I would say it's either a bad speaker wire or a bad ground. I would try running new speaker wires easy to do and inexpensive.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
If your car originally had a "premium" sound system or something similar, it may have a built-in amplifier separate from the head unit which could have a short. If the installer just straight-connected the new cd player to the old wiring without bypassing that amp, it could be the culprit.

Either way, the easiest thing to do is to run new speaker wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. The difficulty is moderate to high for anyone without car installation experience, but rather easy for anyone with experience. Any car audio place or big store with a car audio installation bay should be able to do it for you for under $100 I would think.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Tip for running new wire anywhere disconnect the wire to be replaced at both ends tape a length of new wire flush on the end of the old wire. Make sure you don't have a big lump of tape here as it may have to pass through a small opening. Then just pull the old wire out, doing so will have run the new wire for you.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I'm not sure how good that would work in a car where you have wire running through small grommets... but maybe, I never tried it! Also, if there is an amplifier wired in between the speaker and head unit as I mentioned above, then this will not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks