What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help me choose a projector :) (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I know there are probably a thousand projector threads but I guess each one has it's own specifics.

My room is 18.5' long x 12.5 wide.

The couch is on the north wall about 6 inches from the wall (enough room for rear speaker stands)......so I could either ceiling mount it, or place it on the coffee table in front of the couch (I'd probably prefer a ceiling mount)

The screen I was thinking of would be a pulldown model that would come down in front of my regular TV/entertainment stand (south wall).... which would put it out about 2.5 feet.

I would only be using it for movies & at night so room lighting is not much a factor.

As far as what I want too spend.....under $1000.

I've seen a few different models in this price range but still unsure about throw distances, lumens, best picture quality, etc.

Anyways. Thanks in advance for your time & help. If you need more specifics let me know : )

728x90

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
For under $1,000 you will be sticking with a 480p projector. How tall is your ceiling? Is your throw distance flexible(where you will ceiling mount projector?)
I will guess your eyes will be about 17' from screen when seated? If so, you can use a 8' wide screen with no problem. My top choice would be the new Infocus IN72. Second choice would be the Optoma H27(unless you have a low ceiling, because it has a HUGE image offset, 57%). Third choice would be the Infocus 4805.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jim.

My ceiling is 8' high.

As far as mount locations......I do have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room that extends down about 1' 2".

I'm not sure about throw distances, but I figure if I get if far enough back, then the fan wouldn't be in the way (?).... but I'm not sure what a "good" distance is. Is 15'-16' too far away too mount it?
I am shooting for a 92"-100" screen.

Great suggestion on the IN72. Infocus has them for $1299 w/ $300 rebate now....which would put it in just under my budget.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Brian, try TV Authority, a sponsor of this forum and AVS. They have a super sweet price on the IN72, which you should get for your budget, even before the rebate!!

Dan

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Wow. At that price (after the rebate) I don't see how I could pass that up.

I was going to ask if I should maybe try a Sanyo Z3 and go up too 720p, but I think for a starter projector the IN72 will be perfect. I don't see myself jumping into the new HD DVD formats anytime soon.
My main use will be for DVD although I may try my Xbox on it.

So thanks Dan and Jim. I think you just saved me $300. $600 overall. :))

(another big plus is at 15'4" the IN72 is 100" ...perfect)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Brian, in case you didn't notice, a 100" diagonal image is the "smallest" you will get at 15.4' throw distance. The largest will be 120" diagonal.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Just to join the consensus, I would get the IN72 also. I have its big brother the IN76 and it is a pretty amazing projector. I have no doubt the IN72 will blow you away quality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks