What's new

Help! How do I degauss my direct view TV (1 Viewer)

I just got a used 25” sharp TV from a friend in a trade and by the bottom center area of my TV screen is an area that is way off color. I’ve moved anything that could have any magnetic field away from the TV to no avail the area is still there. I know that with computer monitors there is a degaussing function but how do I do this with my TV. Do I need to get the service codes and go into the service menu or is there some other way. This also happened with my 32 inch Zenith after a few years but in another area. This is starting to drive me a little crazy. How common is this? Do RPTV’s get this? What causes it? And most importantly how do I get rid of it? I’d appreciate any info you guys would have about this

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well tv's do not come with a degauss button anymore as I understand it. It is done everytime the TV is turned off and on again. If it is a newer tv, then it should do this everytime it is turned off.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
If turning it off an on doesn't work, you should be able to find a TV serviceman with a degaussing tool to fix it.

Matt

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You can buy one too- I had one for awhile but I broke it. That's sad if TVs don't have Degauss buttons anymore; I bought my Mitsubishi partly BECAUSE it has one! (And that doesn't work perfectly, but it's better than nothing.)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
With most tv's they have to be off for several hours and then turned back on to activate the degaussing thing. If you leave it off over night and it's still there you'll have to call a repair guy. I've heard that if you plug in a soldering iron and wave it a few feet from the tv it will work, but i've never tried this.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Frank:

Most TV sets have self degaussing with them. I would try leaving it off for several hours and then turn it back on as suggested. It may take several times doing this before things get corrected. It should eventually straighten itself out. If it doesn't you can always have a repair man take a look at it but that may cost more than you want to pay.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks