What's new

Help.....Denon 5800 or Denon 4602 (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Help,

Currently I have an Onkyo TX-DS797 that was purchased in October of 2001. We are just starting to learn about all the different features (Dolby, Dolby II, THX Ultra, Etc.)of the current AV receivers. We enjoy, and must have, great sounding music (Rock & New Age) 70% important and movies 30% important. I do not want seperates at this time due to the expense.

I am considering the 5800 and 4602. At my local "sound shop" the 5800 is about $3,500 and the 4602 is about $2,100.

I like the cleaner power of the Denon at .-05% THD -vs- .08%THD for the Onkyo. I am thinking that for $1,400 less the 4602 would be the best deal as I would need to spend $'s on an upgrade with the 5800.

Also will I be able to tell a difference in quality volume with the 4602 at 125 wpc @ .05 THD -vs- the 100wpc @ .08% THD with the onkyo. My "dealer" says you have to go up 1.5 times in wattage to tell a noticable difference. We run very effecient Klipsch speakers RC-7, KLF-20's, RF-3's, RC-3, and KSW-15 (Also soon to get RF-7's). Currently with music we play the volume between 50% and 60% and I do not turn it up higher as I am starting to hear some distortion. Our Speaker cables are Kimber TC4 & TC8. I am working on Kimber KCAG intrconnects.

HELP!!!!!! Am I wanting to spend too much money, or will I see (hear) a difference.

P.S. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Phil,

There are many other options avaialble to you if you would like to purchase those receivers. You shouldn't pay more than $2400 for the 5800 right now. If you are interested, ask around the forum for some authorized Denon dealers that will discount the piece for you.

That said, the 5800 is the better deal. If it is a cost difference of $300-$400 and your first love is music, the 5800 is the better option. It is built to sound great musically and it delivers. The 4802 is a great receiver as well, but a bit more geared for HT performance. The 4802 has a few extra features than the 5800...but than again, since you are buying now...the 5803 is available and you should be able to get that for under $3k.

Power will not be an issue as your Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient.

Good Luck,

Jeremy

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Tony, I know very little about the Pioneer products of today but I have read alot of god things about them.

Jeremy, Thanks for the info. My dealer has comented the same saying I will not be happy unless I get the 5800. However I do sometimes get the feeling that they are trying to push the 5800 as the 5803 is the latest and greatest.

I do like the Denon product as I have an AVR 65 system in the bedroom that I blew (my fault) and the factory authorized repair center fixed almost to the day that they said they would, over Christmas.

Any thoughts on using a 7 channel amp (Aragon 2007) through the Onkyo 797 until I could afford the Sound Stage One?

JaleelK

Second Unit
Why don't you spend $2400 and get the best flagship receiver for your money, the Pioneer Elite 49TX
I agree with this suggestion, considering what you are willing to pay for a receiver, the 49TX gives you the most bang for the buck by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks