What's new

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse in November! (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has just posted full details and art on Paramount's November release of Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse:

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse on 20th November 2007.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse is an engrossing, unwavering look back at Francis Ford Coppola’s chaotic, catastrophe-plagued Vietnam production, Apocalypse Now. Filled with juicy gossip and a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the stressful world of moviemaking, the documentary mixes on-location home movies shot in the Philippines by Eleanor Coppola, the director’s wife, with revealing interviews with the cast and crew, shot 10 years later.

Released theatrically in 1991, the documentary comes to DVD with the following features:
Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola
”CODA: Thirty Years Later” follow-up documentary
Eleanor Coppola introduces CODA: Thirty Years Later

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
But will this be edited?

There was a rumor, I think posted on this site, that George Hickenlooper (the director) wanted it released on DVD a long time ago, but Coppola refused to let it unless he cut a scene he was unhappy with. Hickenlooper refused so the film remained MIA.

Since it is coming to DVD, with a FFC commentary and not a Hickenlooper one, does that mean FFC has won?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I don't think Coppola wanted it cut, just he wanted to be able to put a few things in context - something the commentary should do.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think he talked about this on the collectors edition of AP when it was released last year?
during the commentary of AP I mean.
Jacob

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Great news! I can finally retire my laserdisc. That audio commentary has to be one of my most anticipated ever.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
'scuze me, I have to check tonight and see if there are two moons in the sky. I've already seen pigs fly.

"I'm gonna get an F!!!"

Maybe Coppola objected to the wig his wife was wearing in her later interviews...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Me too. That's the last LD that I have that hasn't had a DVD release. I just assumed that I'd keep it forever since I didn't expect this to ever hit DVD.

EDIT: Second to last LD- I still have Lost Highway on laserdisc.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the commentary will allow FFC to share his side of the story without affecting the film itself.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Is Paramount aware that John Wayne is in no way connected to this film? :)

I have never had the opportunity to see this film, but have been hearing about it for more than 10 years. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it for the first time.

I do find it strange that they did not release it in conjunction with Apocalypse Now during the last release of said film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great news. Yes, in a perfect world, this would have been part of the Apocalypse Now ultimate box set that we all have in our heads (although I liked last year's "complete dossier" edition). But the documentary is a strong enough film to have a release in its own right.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Oh, they will, they will - expect 'Apocalypse Now - The Even More Complete Dossier' somewhere down the line.

If it included AN in it's OAR, like the sucker I am, I'd buy it again. And they know it...

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

So glad to retire my LaserDisc of this, too, since something about the transition from Side 1 to Side 2 seems off, like a sliver of footage might be missing. I never had the VHS to compare and contrast. Unlike you, however, I'm still holding on to a fair number of LaserDiscs, either because they have exclusive bonus features (e.g. E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL and CLOSE ENCOUNERS OF THE THIRD KIND), are unedited where the DVD is not (e.g. Stephen King's GOLDEN YEARS and IT), or are widescreen when the DVD is not (e.g. FEARLESS and DEATH BECOMES HER). In terms of LDs I own that haven't even come to DVD, I have FINAL APPROACH, RANSOM: Extended Version, STAR TREK: 25th Anniversary Special, U2: ACHTUNG BABY: The Videos, The Cameos and a Whole Lot of Interference From ZOO TV, and the videos on U2: THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE COLLECTION.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Lordy! Who'd'a thunk it?

Now all they have to do is get their heads out of their tushes and go back to dual-format HD. . . ;)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Wow, finally. I only saw it once on LD, which I checked out from a base library when I was stationed in Japan. Possibly the best "making of" documentary ever made. It was while watching it that I found out about all the scenes that were left on the cutting room floor that ended up in the AN Redux.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks