What's new

HDTV for XBR450 in Lynnwood, WA (1 Viewer)

Tod

Agent
I just ordered a 36" XBR450. I currently watch DirecTV on a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV+TiVo unit (no CATV & no antenna). I was thinking HDTV might be a good way to get UPN and WB with a good picture (as opposed to CATV fuzz) I have a few HDTV questions...
1) Are all HDTV broadcasts in 16:9 format?
2) If I wanted to get an HDTV receiver for my TV, what would people recommend? Does Sony make a good one?
3) Does anyone know if HDTV broadcast signals are easily obtained in the Lynnwood, WA area? Do the local UPN and WB affiliates broadcast in HDTV yet?
4) If I install an antenna, it would have to be in my attic since my HOA does not allow externally mounted TV antennas... Will an attic antenna work well for HDTV?
Thanks!
Tod
P.S. - Any other "random" HDTV advice is appreciated since I'm totally new to the idea...

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Answers to your questions 1 and 4...
Yes the standard for HDTV broadcast is 16.9...
An antenna in your attic is usually ok for digital signals depending on your location to the Digital towers..However, FCC law says any Homeowners association, or local gov't can NOT prevent you from putting up an antenna to receive over the air TV signals...
------------------

Art Shotwell

Auditioning
Tod,
Neither the WB nor UPN affiliates are onair in digital yet. KIRO (CBS), KOMO (ABC), KING (NBC), KCTS (PBS) and KCPQ (FOX) are on air in digital, with varying amounts of hdtv.
I don't know what the signals are like in Lynnwood. A good test for you would be to see how analog KONG/16 looks like on air. If you get a good picture, you should be okay. I live on Fidalgo Island and get spotty signals from Seattle, but solid for FOX, which is west of Bremerton. But, I know someone in Everett gets Seattle good enough.
I use the Sony HD-100 and am happy with it. It's not perfect, but none currently available seems to have the right mix of features.
Hope this helps. Art
------------------

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I live in Bothell and am able to pull in HDTV really well, but I have a huge antennae. The people that installed my antennae said that the biggest factors are the number of trees and houses between you and Queen Anne hill. Basically, go to wherever you would install the antennae and see how much is in the way between you and down town Seattle. If there's nothing in the way, then you can pick it up no sweat. If there's some trees (as in my case), you may still be able to pick it up.
As far as programming goes, you should be able to pick up channels 4, 5, 7, and 9 (although I'm not able to pick up 9 for some reason.
I'm sure that the Magnolia HiFi on 196th should be able to provide additional info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks