What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDTV Broadcast in 4:3 or 16:9 (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I have question about receiveing a HD signal. Are all HD signals broadcast in the 16:9 format. For instance if I am watching a ESPN HD game on a 4:3 tv screen is it going to have black bars on the top and bottom? Are some HD signals sent in 4:3 and some in 16:9. Just wondering trying to decide between a 36" 4:3 or a 32" 16:9.

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, all HD broadcasts are in 16x9. It's part of the HD standard. I have a 32" 4:3 HDTV and I don't mind the black bars at all. I'm glad I went with the 32" 4:3 because #1 I still get HD and #2 all other programming (which is about 90% of whats on TV) fills the whole screen. I can't stand stretching at all on WS's.

Once I have enough money and enough things are in HD I'm def. going to upgrade and get the 16:9. I don't see this happening for another 2 years or so.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

All true HD is 16:9 by spec/definition. Note that upconverted SD signals (all non-HD content that is broadcast on a HD channel) is usually 4:3. Different channels handle this differently. Most broadcast this content with black or grey bars on the side. I know ESPN-HD stretches this to fill the 16:9 screen, there may be others. This may affect your decision because a 4:3 signal with bars on the side would have bars on all 4 sides when displayed in the 16:9 window on a 4:3 tv. This may not matter to you because most HD channels have an analog counterpart that broadcasts the signal normally and you could just switch to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks