What's new

HDMI Question around an new HTPC (1 Viewer)

jtpryan

Auditioning
Real Name
jim
I'm setting up a PC with the primary purpose of housing my music librabry. Windows 7 and Windows Media Player. The PC I'm using has HDMI out and Optical out:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor/9541766.p?id=1218121455435&skuId=9541766

Anyway, my primary question is can I get away with just connecting the HDMI to my receiver or do I have to use the optical as well? While music is my primary reason, I do want to watch the occacional movie or home video. The PC will be about 20' from the receiver as the PC will be in the living room and the receiver in a closet. This is so I can use a bluetooth keyboard to control it from the couch, using my LCD TV as the monitor.

Thank you in advance for any advice

-Jim

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
If your video card has HDMI out and you have the software on your PC for handling video and audio you will be able to pass both the audio and video over your HDMI with no need to use the optical out. I use ArcSoft's Total Media Theater with excellent results for both audio and video. I don't think WMP does HD Audio like DTS MA or Dolby Digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks