What's new

HD DVD chat (2 Viewers)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Actually it wasn't misleading using your interpetation. BD players range from 899.00 to I believe 1599.00 for the Pioneer. HD players range from 499.99 to 999.99 retail.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, but they might not even head in the direction of the video game systems when looking for "next-generation DVD players". And, of course, there's the question of how many of those people who paid $500-600 for PS3s are actually using them to watch movies. Bottom line is, a cursory examination of their options will show Blu-ray as a more expensive buy-in than HD-DVD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I just read through the entire chat and have to say I'm more excited than ever about HD-DVD. True, Kevin's job was to be positive but it worked for me. Good stuff for HD-DVDers in 2007. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm glad they filled the medium to the brim, like they should. The size of a video track is not a given, though. Of course it's not clear without having done it yourself, to tell what the effect of adding other information, like an additional or a different audio track would have been.

Cees

Juan C

Second Unit

Well, it so happens that we, as Europeans, have a pretty good idea: we just have to look at was is being released this side of the pond. King Kong has been released in Europe with six lossy language tracks vs the three tracks of the American release, and all bonus features have been dropped.

This has been confirmed by French site dvdrama and German site areadvd.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
King Kong (2005) was released in the States with virtually no special features on HD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, we don't, because for the European version they used the same master as for the US version (and, frankly, I'm glad they did).
In that case, the size of the video track is a fixed given, of course.

Cees

Juan C

Second Unit

So if the American disc is already full, and you have to add language tracks for the European release, either you drop bonus features or you reencode the video at a lower bitrate; there is no other way round it. Either way, it is a compromise.

If they are selling 'the best in picture, sound and interactivity,' we shouldn't get 'the best in picture or sound or interactivity.' ;) (of course BD has been the worst offender in this regard.)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
This could be a downside for north american users. If a studio wants to use the same encoding for NA and Europe, they will have to take into account the space that multiple foreign language tracks use and subtract that from the maximum bitrate they could have used. If they also plan on having multiple supplements in addition, there could be some real compromising going on it terms of disc space and video quality.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Juan,

We simply have to many different languages over here! :)

But you're right. We have a potential disadvantage.
The best solution for the technician doing the authoring here (if he doesn't want to compromise the video tracks too much) would be: use compressed voice tracks for the different languages, use a high quality music-and-effects track - and then negotiate with his alter ego between dumping some extra stuff from the disc (perhaps add another disc to the release for the extras) or remastering the video at a slightly higher compression...

Cees

Juan C

Second Unit

You may have a point there. When doing an encode, the compressionist might be required not to use a certain amount of GBs unused in order to leave room for the eventual additional language tracks.

This was never a factor with DVD because the European releases were PAL and hence could not use the same encode as the American release.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Then i say produce one master for the countries that normally use english anyways, and let the other countries that absolutley wants their language make their own. How much disc space does subtitles actually need.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In the future that may become standard.
But for the releases mentioned here (mainly King Kong), they just used the existing transfer as created in the US for HD DVD.

Cees

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

The problem is the expense. The studios don't want to pay for multiple encodings of the same material if it can be taken care of for the price of one encoding. Like another poster said, it didn't really matter on DVD because Europe uses PAL and the north american NTSC encodings could not be used. Now when the studios look for ways to cut costs, making a single encoding for worldwide usage is going to be very attractive. If they do make one encoding for worldwide usage, the territory that needs the most space for languages and other features is going to be the one that decides what the bitrate for the movie is and how much space it can use on the disc.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Haven't people reported that the Euro version of Serenity features a more recent transfer? I'm sure I heard the same thing about Apollo 13 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks