What's new

Have you ever ben moved to tears by a piece of music? (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
The mood alone of a song can definitely move me to tears. Sometimes just the way a singer sings a particular line might do it. Steve Hogarth of Marillion is a singer who really moves me. He sings with so much passion.

Here are some songs that move me:

"White Russian" by Marillion

"Family Business" and "Cliche" by Fish

"Song For A Dead Friend" by Kevin Gilbert

"There Was A Little Boy" by Toy Matinee

"Am I Really Losing You?" by Pendragon

"The Show Must Go On" by Queen

"Here Comes The Flood", "Biko" and "Family Snapshot" all by Peter Gabriel

Also the performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2 in the movie Rattle and Hum.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
"best i ever had" by vertical horizon. i broke up with my gf and it crushed me even more when listening to that song.

"ne me quitte pas" by paul mauriat gave me goosebumps when i listened to the violin part.

Jason_H

Second Unit
The answer to the question is yes, but not necessarily because the music itself is sad. I don't know if I am just weird, but sometimes I go a little wet around the eyes when I hear a piece of music I know is just perfection...SPOT ON. It hits all the right notes (pun slightly intended) and perfectly captures whatever mood they are going for..whether it be extremely happy or a bit depressive. This has happened to me listening to all types of music from rock to jazz, from The Cure to David Bowie to Radiohead to Suede.

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
henryk gorecki's symphony no. 3 (opus 36) - one of the most depressing things i have ever heard in my life..

a

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Agree on Gorecki's Symphony No. 3--very depressing but also very beautiful. I usually don't dig minimalist-ish music, but this one just strikes a chord with me.

Being the sap that I am, many songs on the Schindler's List soundtrack get me choked up. Of course a big part of that is the association with the movie.

Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore is a sentimental sappy favorite of mine. Back in the day I could really relate to his plight of playing the game of love and being burned over and over but still coming back for more. The wailing guitar solo at the end really drives it home for me, even today.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
. Every time I hear that song it gets me. She sounds like a mourning angel...
I have to also agree on Sanvean a mourning song if there ever was one. Sat in the front row at the Palace of Fine Arts during Lisa Gerrard's tour in '96 (?).. there was not a dry eye in the house, literally. Sometimes the raw power of DCD's Cantara moves me too.

I also get teary eyed just thinking about American Dreaming and Don't Fade Away, two of Brendan Perry's songs on DCD's "Toward the Within."

But the [rant]ultimate[/rant] weeper is Martha by Tom Waits. I mean, holy s***, that song gets me every time.

-j

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Another Springsteen song here: "Dancing in the dark", believe it or not. In spite of the upbeat tempo and the 80's style keyboards, the lyrics are so desperate and sad.
The three songs that almost always bring me to tears though, are all by Mary Chapin Carpenter, and from the same album, "Come on, come on": Only a dream, I am a town and Come on, come on. Very emotional and melancholic songs (obviously :)).
/Mike

Shawn C

Screenwriter
One more, and don't laugh at me, dammit!
"I Will Always Love You" - Dolly Parton. I think that they way that she sings it with that half-crying makes it 100x sadder than it really is. You know she doesn't want him to leave, but she is letting him go to make him happy. :frowning:
If I should stay
Well, I would only be in your way
And so I'll go and yet I know
That I'll think of you each step of my way
And I will always love you
I will always love you
Bitter-sweet memories
That's all I have and all I'm taking with me
Good-bye, oh please don't cry
Cause we both know that I'm not what you need
I will always love you
I will always love you
And I hope life, will treat you kind
And I hope that you have all
That you ever dreamed of
Oh, I do wish you joy
And I wish you happiness
But above all this
I wish you love
I love you, I will always love
I, I will always, always love you
I will always love you
I will always love you
I will always love you

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
A few songs by queen;

"Who Wants to Live Forever" from the album "A Kind of Magic" and featured in the film "Highlander". Watch the scene in which the song is played....Connor is an immortal but he's had to watch his wife grow old and die, in his arms. I dare you NOT to cry. "Who lives forever anyway?"

"The Show Must Go On" from the "Innuendo" album. Recorded during Freddie's last months. How he could sing such an uplifting song with power and grace while he was wasting away is astounding.

"Mother Love" from the "Made In Heaven" album. This was the very LAST song Freddie sang, in fact he died before it was finished, hence Brian May singing the last few verses.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I agree on Sarah McLachlan, I played Solacae during a tough time in my relationship, so it has special memories for me, and they come back every time I play it, so although my relationship is now fine, the record still has bitter-sweet memories...

The first time I heard David Bowie's Ziggy farewell concert; "not only because this is the last show of the tour, but because it's the last show that we'll ever do"...

And Bowie again, on Live Aid, dedicating "Heroes" to: my children, your children and all the children of the world (or words to that effect, I can't find the correct quote now).

NP: Bel Canto: Dorothy's Victory

Ash Williams

Second Unit
John Williams' music has always struck a chord in me. Most recently on the Attack of the Clones soundtrack, Across the Stars is simply incredible. His Schinder's List score is very haunting and takes it's toll on me. The thing I like about John is that you can listen to his music and follow the story being told without watching the movie. He truly is the greatest musical storyteller of all time.
Also, Garth Brooks has some tear jerkers. The Dance and When You Come Back to Me Again get me every time. I think certain songs make people think about a certain time in thier lives when they remember listening to those songs and it brings back memories. At least thats what happens in my case.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jeff Buckley- Lover You should have come over

Orff- Carmina Burana-(not the opening of course)there is a very gentle piece with solo voice

Ennio Morricone- Gabriel's Oboe (the Mission)

Tom Waits- Soldier's Things(Swordfishtrombones)

Nick Cave-Into my Arms

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
"At Last" by Etta James. Chokes me up every time without fail. Incredible strings and Etta's vocals will go right through you. Play at max volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks