What's new

Has anyone watched 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY on their LG 65EF9500 Flat 65-Inch 4K? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just ordered this t.v., for roughly half what it had been priced two years ago. It will be my first (and probably last) OLED display. I bought it for the increased quality of 3D, and for its deep blacks. The film on video that has always proven frustrating for me in the past has been 2001. I've never been able to properly achieve the star fields the way I want them, as lowering the brightness levels to enable rich, velvet blacks even on my Panny plasma also dimmed out everything else. I have wanted to see velvet outer space skies while also clearly seeing star fields and not finding interior shots dulled-down. I am led to believe this set will enable that. Have any of you owning this technology tried this movie out yet?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Why don't you just try it out for yourself? Or are you planning to return the set if other folks say they don't like the way the movie looks on your particular set?? Isn't this TV something like 3 years old already?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
You shouldn't have to change your brightness settings once your tv is calibrated. Black level is also dependent on the source content. I'm not familiar with 2001 as I've never seen it so I don't know if the DVD, bluray, or whatever media you are using has the black levels you are looking for.

For instance, I have the 55 EF9500 and Gravity's space looks really great, nice deep blacks. Interstellar has elevated black levels so space isn't a deep black, but rather a dark gray.

It sounds like 2001 doesn't have deep blacks in the transfer by your description of everything else beginning took dark when you lower your settings.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Why don't you just try it out for yourself? Or are you planning to return the set if other folks say they don't like the way the movie looks on your particular set?? Isn't this TV something like 3 years old already?

Alf, you're being a bit adversarial, and not for the first time. Do you scour member's posts for the express purpose of shaming the OP? Yes, I bought the set. No, I probably won't return it. Why can't I simply get a response to this question without someone being confrontational? I only wanted to see if someone had tried that particular movie with this display and whether or not they had to adjust any settings to achieve the star field I have so long been seeking.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
The EF9500 has a slight issue with near black (I owned one), that was cleared up in 2016. Certain movies have the blacks mastered at what looks like above black, so they take on a grayish look, during these movies the EF9500 will display some uglies. If the blacks in that seen are indeed properly done, it should look great on the EF9500.

I never tried it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
2001 is my favorite movie and I'm not at all impressed with the disc. It's decent, but doesn't convey the full effect of the film - they've gotten so much better at large format film transfers since then but the 2001 disc, for me, is lacking. I'd be more tempted to blame any disappointments you had on the disc itself rather than the TV.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
2001 is my favorite movie and I'm not at all impressed with the disc. It's decent, but doesn't convey the full effect of the film - they've gotten so much better at large format film transfers since then but the 2001 disc, for me, is lacking. I'd be more tempted to blame any disappointments you had on the disc itself rather than the TV.

Yeah, this is a movie I wish Criterion would take on. It needs a 4k scan from a large-format element.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Next year is the 50th anniversary of 2001, so one would hope plans in place for an improved disc both on blu ray and 4K. I agree the current disc is only fair.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Alf, you're being a bit adversarial, and not for the first time. Do you scour member's posts for the express purpose of shaming the OP? Yes, I bought the set. No, I probably won't return it. Why can't I simply get a response to this question without someone being confrontational? I only wanted to see if someone had tried that particular movie with this display and whether or not they had to adjust any settings to achieve the star field I have so long been seeking.

I blocked Alf a long time ago. You should do the same Dick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks