What's new

Has anyone sent in there marantz sr-x200 for the dropout/noise fix? (1 Viewer)

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to get my marantz sr6200 fixed this week for the pop/drop out problem and excessive noise issues. Just wondering if anyone had there unit fixed? How are the results of the fix? i think the dropout problem could be easily fixed but i'm unsure they could fix the noise. I get a lot of noise on digital sources especial in 5.1 sound DD/DTS. when i'm watching a movie at -15 db and above the noise is quite loud and -10 above it's just exccesive and very distracting. Should this be expected from a reciever of this level? I was watching seven in dts the other day and at -10 db there was this constant hisssss it was so anoying.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I have an SR6200, and havent experience any hiss or dropouts. The only thing that I have seen is a slight delay (but not very important to me).

You should check your wire, I had a small hiss a couple of years ago but it was that I was using 18 gauge, so since I upgraded to 12 gauge no hiss at all.

The SR6200 has a great sound for the money. Although I usually use it at -20 db. I will try it between -15 to -10 and let you know if I hear any hiss.

One other thing that I didnt like of the SR6200 is that I have to crank the volume between half to 3/4 to feel it, the way I like, and it gives me the impresion that it doesnt have so much power, but this is only my personal opinion.

But in I'm very pleased with my unit, no real problems at all.

Hope this helps,

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the wire is the problem, I'm using 11ga biwire from heartland cable for LCR which is connected to an outboard amp anyway, the rears are the only thing the marantz amps and they are 12 ga with very clean bannana termination. actualy when i upgraded to the 3 channel amp the hissing lowered considerably but still there is hiss-this comming from a class AB amp with almost 200watts at 0.03 percent distortion, I'm almost certain it's the marantz. Also the slight delay/drop out wasn't a real problem until i got the new amp now it cause the amp to thump constantly beacuse the signal always resets and it's relayed to the amp, so now its a big problem. Your probly right about the power the 5200 was tested by a european site and they got like 105X2, 100X3, and ithink around 40X6
the 7200 was tested by sound and vision and it got 30X6, thats why i got the seperate amp, the power is definitly lacking and you can tell at higher volumns (ref at 80db) it gets out of contol and harsh, it also sounds like artifical dynamics, everyting get bunched together. and thats with 94db sensitive mains and center.

Henrik T

Auditioning
I guess you're right, it might be the Marantz, indeed.
I have a 4200 since december and had some fight with the hungarian distributor - because of the hiss this amp produces.
This once so respectable company now lies without any shame in the spec sheet... Not only about power, but they stated 99 dB as signal to noise ratio. If this would be true, there wasn't any hiss at all of course. I used a more than 10 years old Technics stereo receiver before with 80 dB s/n, and that one had only about half the noise even on max volume than this Marantz has at the first volume level (-61 dB). Concerning power: my old Technics never had its volume knob over half setting where it was already loud enough although it was specified only as 2x50W. Now, with this (so they say) 70W Marantz I have to set the volume close to its max most of the time.

Your speakers at 94 dB are really sensitive, and that definitely makes the problem worse. My old ones were about 91 dB and I felt the noise way too high even with that (although the 6200 probably has somewhat less noise than the 4200, so it might be similar)
About a week ago, I purchased a Wharfedale Diamond speaker set, and they are especially low sensitive ones: even the factory spec is 86 dB, but they measured that with 2,82V instead of 2,45V (it's actually a 6 Ohm speaker not 8) so the correct value would be even lower.

With these speakers and in stereo mode, the noise can hardly be heard at the listening position. In surround modes it is higher, but still not really disturbing - so this is a workaround for a while.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a 6200 and I have no hiss at all on any source. Have you considered that it could be your source? Does it exhibit the same hiss on ALL sources? I noticed on my old CDP, I got a very slight hiss, but with my two recent players I did and do not. Never any noise with digital connections. I also typically listen at about -20 to -15 for most material CD or DVD. With ref calibration at -8, most material would be too loud at -10.

Now, with this (so they say) 70W Marantz I have to set the volume close to its max most of the time.
This is a very important comment. I would expect nearly ANY amp in this price rance to exhibit some, if not a lot of hiss when pushed nearly to it's max. This definitely means you are underpowered for your application. Speaker sensitivity is not the only factor, when you also figure how much CURRENT is required for the speakers and the type of playback and SPL you are trying to achieve. What is the room size?

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
Room size is probly straining the reciver since the room is about 25X30 with and opening hallway in front. very large i know but the noise is very large too. at -10db on my system for movies yields moderate vol. -5db is where i keep it now with the new amp, but before -10 would be the max brecasue of the harshness. I only have one source connected that i relly use which is dvd. It's a digital connection. Maybe i reached the reciver's limits but it does seem like a lot of hiss. Also on stereo mode noise is lower, and i usualy put it to -20 max for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks