What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Has anyone seen Whale Rider? (1 Viewer)

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I simply do not go to the movies theater. I wait for the DVD. However, I really want to see this movie. I don't see it playing anywhere in Chicago.

Has anyone seen it?

http://www.whaleriderthemovie.com/trailer/

The plot summary on www.imdb.com:

The legend is that Paikea rode on the back of a whale and led his people to New Zealand. Since that time traditon has decreed that the first-born male descendant will become chief of the tribe. Then Pai is born...and she is a girl. She grows up within a close-knit village which retains the tribes tradtional spiritual relationship with the sea and their warrior values. Although loved by all, Pai faces rejection from her grandfather who is brokenhearted that there is no grandson to carry on the line. But Pai is indeed blessed with the spiritual and leadership qualities of her ancestors and, in her own way, struggles in a male-dominated world to prove herself to her grandfather, the chief, and win his respect. Then the community is forced to come together in order to save a pod of whales that is stranded on its beach. Pai's spiritual affinity with the whales and her courage finally proves that she is the true leader of her people.....

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If this was playing here, I'd go see it before any other film. Unfortunately, it seems to be in very limited release...and honestly, I'd have thought Chicago would've had it playing somewhere! If Chicago doesn't have it yet...yegads, what about us country folk?

Bruce

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I can't wait for this one, so I might have to make a drive over to Berkeley. Damn those Bay Bridge fees.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One of the best films playing in theaters today. I haven't been to a single big-studio production this summer that I'd rank higher.

M.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Wow, that's very strange that Whale Rider isn't in Chicago - it's playing here in Indianapolis. In fact, it opened today.

We almost always get a film after it's played Chicago. Perhaps there's a very limited number of prints????

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Saw the film last night and it is excellent. The young actress playing the lead is amazing; at 12 years old she carries the entire picture with assurance and realism. I strongly recommend this film to anyone.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
It got a fairly wide release in Australia, if you get the chance don't miss it. Its an excellent little gem.

Cary T

Screenwriter
It's a good film with breath-taking scenery, but I didn't like it as much as most did. This is probably, I saw May ten minutes before Whale Rider. I love May :)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Terrific movie. I expect most HTFers will get the chance to see it over the next month. The release is starting to expand. Reviews, box office, and word-of-mouth have been strong. I'm certain those in Chicago will have plenty of opportunities to catch it.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Whale Rider is most certainly playing in Chicago and the outlying area. Even if you aren't close to one of those theatres, it would be well worth the drive to see this wonderful film.

The distributor seems to be aiming for a gradual platform release, so if you absolutely can't make it to one of those theatres, it will probably be playing at a lot more within a month or so.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Gabe's right. I was in Chicago over the weekend and it's playing in *four* theaters in and around the windy city.

Bruce, check the Reader or Trib - you got it.

I'm supporting my local art house by seeing WR in Indy - we saw The Eyes in CHicago instead (recommended).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have refrained from posting because it's unfair: This extremely well-reviewed film is playing at a number of locations here in Southern California. Making a rare commercial-theater foray soon.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have refrained from posting because it's unfair
That's never stopped the rest of us! :)

I think you'll enjoy it, Jack. It's graced by extraordinary performances (both lead and supporting), and the characters draw you in so thoroughly that, by the last twenty minutes, I was sitting forward in my seat and reacting physically to the developments on screen (can't say more without spoilers).

M.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Saw it at Seattle Film Festival. It was my favorite of the fest, along with everybody else's, it won the audience choice award. Which it also did at Sundance and Toronto and quite a few others.

It's a really great film. It's very formulaic, you know where it's going the whole time. But it's such a wonderful story that you don't care, and the performances are so outstanding that it all seems real. The lead girl is incredible.

I imagine this will be a decent cross-over hit once it starts playing more theaters.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Took the nine-year-old girl and her mother. I was sure they and I would love it. The girl was very negative beforehand, "I want to see Rugrats, I don't like whales."
Whale Rider exceeded my expectations. On so many levels it was a real pleasure.
And afterward the girl thanked me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale