What's new

Has anyone here seen "Selena"? (1 Viewer)

John Torrez

Second Unit
It stars the (then) vaguely known Jennifer Lopez as Selena, the tejano singer who was killed by her fan club president 5 years ago. So for those who have seen the movie, what did you think of it? Did it acurately portray Selena and her family? Any other thoughts and opinions on it?
[Edited last by John Torrez on August 17, 2001 at 11:06 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Selena is an extremly heartbreaking film. I've seen it a number of times, and it both saddens AND angers me. That being said, it is an extremly good film about a girl who was on the brink of stardom that, sadly, wasn't to be.
I don't know much about her family, except what i've seen on documentaries, but from what I can tell, the movie is pretty accurate. Jennifer Lopez turns in a performance that is truly incredible! And the rest of the cast, particularly Jon Seda as Selena's boyfriend Chris, of 'The Chris Perez Band', is very good. The concert scenes are amazing as well. And even though I don't speak spanish and don't understand the language, I was nonetheless jazzed by her energy and presence when she was onstage.
It was so unfair what happened to Selena. She would have been huge if not for the actions of one unstable individual. She stole from the world not just a great talent, but a good person as well. I dare you not to weep a little during the films pre-credit sequence that plays over her 'Dreaming of you'.
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 17, 2001 at 11:34 PM]

Mike A

Agent
icon14.gif

Selena is a very good movie, don't let the fact that J-Lo is in it sway you. She is actually very good in it as is the rest of the cast, especially Edward James Olmos.
A "Heartbreaking film" is a good description as stated by John. After my first viewing, I couldn't stop thinking about Selena, the real person for a few days. I have seen the movie countless times since then. Before seeing the movie, I didn't really know who she was or her music, except for what I saw on the news about a young tejano/latin singer being gun down. Definately worth seeing at least once.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
I, being Hispanic and living here in South Texas am very familiar with her, and her music. I've seen some of her on stage at various 4th of July events here and must say the movie is pretty accurate. Not to mention she was a georgous lady. There are many young latino stars that Idolized her. And I dont mean the fake ones, like Christina Aguilera etc. Had the trajedy not have taken place she would be what is now Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera, and especialy Gloria Estefan is today fame wise. She already was on her way up to stardom.
Back on subject
The movie is pretty close to the real her. I cannot believe how well Jennifer Lopez looks like the real Selena. She was very energetic as the way it is shown in the film.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...what did you think of it?..."
...two thumbs and two big toes up!
. . .
redface.gif
. . .

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Great film! I love the fact that the movie focuses on her life, not her death. Very moving story about a close family. The DVD sounds fantastic. I think you'll enjoy it.
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
For most people here in south Texas the day she died was a surreal experience. Something like the day JFK was killed. Having been around for both that is the way I see it. It is strange how the mind deals with shocking news and a real sense of loss.
------------------

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Hey HERNESTO!!!! You live in McAllen. Thats really cool. I live in Edinburg. I never thought someone from the Valley would be interested in Home Theater.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is a lonely place for a home theater nut. I had to learn a lot on my own and by asking a lot of questions on computer forums.
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Ernesto Santos on August 19, 2001 at 01:17 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks