What's new

has anyone heard the Yamaha 3200? (1 Viewer)

Dan A

Agent
J&R is supposed to be putting the rx-v3200 on the floor today ($1499, I think), and I've seen them listed at some e-tailers. Has anyone had a chance to listen to one yet?

I'll probably head to J&R in the next couple of days, but the environment doesn't seem to lend itself to any sort of critical listenening.

I downloaded the manual and there doesn't semm to be anything about the front effects, blended or otherwise, which is a little disappointing. I know that 3000s are still available, but without all the latest processors.

Oh well.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SidH

Agent
I just purchased one online ($1200) and should be receiving it in a few days.

It will be replacing my trusty old Yamaha DSP-A3090 amp, which I have loved (until the upgrade bug hit me).

The 3200 does NOT have the front effects channels, unlike the RVX-3000. I only discovered that after I purchased the unit, silly me! I am still mulling over whether it is a fair tradeoff: front effects vs. DP II. It's a tough decision since I already had the front effects wiring installed for the 3090.

The new flagship RX-Z1 receiver that is due to come out in the next couple of months will of course have the front effects and more, but it will be a pretty penny more.

Alas.

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Dan
I haven,t heard the 3200 and without
front effects wouldn,t care to. I do
have an Onkyo 898 7.1 with PLII and
two amp back surrounds. PLII IMO
is a marketing ploy made up to sell
more product with no real benefit as
a matter of fact more often than not
I shifted to NEO6 to get something
out of back surrounds. I also have a
Yamaha RX=V3000 I consider one of the
best receivers available today and at
close out prices of $999.95 at local
B&M (Sound Advice of Florida) a real
steal. Best regards.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I hooked one up this evening and did some listening for awhile. For fun, four of us took turns switching between the Denon 5800, the Pioneer 47, and the Yamaha 3200(We have a switcher at work that lets us compare with a press of a button. One person would do the switching and the other three would listen for their preference not knowing which was which. Speakers used were Infinity IL-50s.

The Yamaha was preferred the most, followed by the Denon, and then the Pioneer. Keep in mind this was done within an hour, and the receivers were level matched by ear, so I don't intend this to be a definitive, final-say test, but all of us were suprised by the Yamaha's two-channel performance.

It definitely has the sound that Yamaha is known for(more open and live). It won't be everyones cup of tea, and matching with laid back to more neutral speakers will be important, IMO. It also doesn't have all of the features that some its pricier competitors have, but I thought it performed very well for a receiver in its price range.

DJ

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
Gerard: I too thought PL2 was overstated when using a Denon 3802. I brought in the RX-V2200 and there was, to my ears with proper speaker calibrations intact, an improvement in volume of sound coming from the surrounds, but seemingly improved steering accuracy. When watching fairly recent movies, on HBO for example, that had an original DD track (though I'm only able to decode DirecTv via DPL2 with my gear), I am experiencing a near 5.1 environment, the steering is better than I'd ever imagine.

For my setup, I only watch TV using the music setting, never use the movie setting. Listening to default settings works nicely, though I usually keep all notched up +1.

It is not hype for everyone in every situation.

Why you cannot achieve similar results in your environment is a good subject for continuing dialogue.

This morning I exchanged my unopened 2200 for a 3200. I opted to trade up due to the extra horsepower offered by the 3200. Gotta drive these M&K's like I stole em;)
I of course will not get an opportunity to listen to it until I finish my HT room. Gonna be some long nights in my future.

BryanEB

Agent
I noticed on the Yamaha page that they list the 3200 having DTS 96/24/ DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, but the 220 does not. On one of their product comparison charts, however, the 2200 is listed as having DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 (no mention of 96/24).

Anyone know the full story here?

B

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Dan A,
Unless SidH already answered your main question about the lack of front effect channels, I also do feel it was a worthwhile trade-off to go from the 3000 to the 3200. On top of having a DPL II decoder you will have access to a DTS-ES 6.1 DISCRETE rear-center signal and a little more wattage all around. I guess it all boils down to the question of buying the 3000 or waiting for the big boy RX-Z1. In my case I didn't already have front effects set up while I owned the 3000 so it wasn't really an issue for me personally.
Regardless, good luck and enjoy!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks