What's new

Has anyone ever dealt with DVD Empire or Deep DVD Discount? (1 Viewer)

Porfirio

Second Unit
Has anyone ever pre-ordered DVDs from these two companies: DVD Empire and Deep DVD Discount?
I want to pre-order The Terminator: SE and Star Wars: Episode1 DVDs, but I want to receive them on the release dates or sooner.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
DVDEmpire is good and sends out pre-orders in a timely fashion. :)
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
DVDEmpire is my online source for DVDs. They are great in terms of price, delivery, website's ease of use, etc.
icon14.gif

Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Well, this thread is going to get moved, but DVDempire is a darn good e-tailer.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I haven't pre-ordered from Deep Discount DVD but I have had a few regular orders. I've used both the free 1st class shipping and the extra cost Priority Mail shipping and have always received my discs in a timely fashion.
I have only one complaint about them. When I ordered Kwaidan (in the same order as The Seventh Seal and Mississippi Burning) I received a message saying that Kwaidan wouldn't ship and was discontinued. I fired off an email to clarify and the response was again that it would not ship. The next day I received an email shipping notice informing me that all 3 DVDs had shipped. I don't know how they screwed that up but all of them arrived in the same shipment.
confused.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I use DeepDiscountDVD, and I've been using them exclusively for a while now. Really good prices and they don't charge for shipping. I don't get my pre-orders by street date all the time, but saving a few bucks with each DVD makes up for that.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Deep Discount has recently changed how they ship preorders. I just received Hannibal, Silence of the Lambs, Wicker Man, and Maniac today which is the release date. However, it isn't guaranteed. For me, the extra dollars can be spent on more DVDs than having them a day earlier.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DVD Empire has a great online system for managing pre-orders. You can easily delete or add titles to an exisiting order, change shipping preference or combine multiple orders into a single one. If you do a lot of pre-ordering, this can be a great convenience. I use Empire for the vast majority of my pre-orders, and am very satisfied with their service.
DeepDiscountDVD is my current #2 preferred online vendor. They offer free shipping and have very good prices. However, the free shipping option can also create delays in receiving orders. I usually use this vendor for catalog titles that have already been released, since I rarely care if those shipments take a little longer to receive.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have used DeepDVDdiscount multiple times before and have always got Great pricing on my preorders with prompt delivery. My only complaint would be that the packaging they use is not of the highest quality so make sure to inspect your DVD's when you get them.(but the shipping is free)
KyleS

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I placed my first-ever preorder at DVD EMPIRE for Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.
Mishima streeted on August 7. It's now August 22, and DVD EMPIRE still has not shipped my copy. I received no notice of delay. The first time I emailed, I received a reply that said it would ship the next day (this was on the 15th). No shipment. I sent another request and received a reply stating they had no idea when they would get more copies.
I don't know if this is an isolated deal, but my first impressions are quite poor.
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
Al's Criterion Collection

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
how long before street date did you order?
some less mainstream titles do seem to have trouble with back ordering, reboot #4 has been back ordered for 5 months!
other than that I have no complaints with DVDEmpire (11 orders so far) and I have been a kind of a pain in the butt customer and they always reply fast and courteous (if your wondering, my credit card got declined like 4 times in a row cause I miscalculated the exchange rate)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Al --
Nigel's point is well-taken. No etailer can afford to maintain deep inventory of any but the most popular titles. All of them order stock based on pre-orders, usually several weeks in advance of the street date. If your pre-order is placed after that time, chances are they won't get in enough copies to cover your order, and then you have to wait until they restock. This has happened to me a few times now, with a few different etailers.
Of course, none of that is any excuse for the bad follow-up, but that kind of thing is more the exception than the rule with Empire, at least in my experience.
M.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
2 weeks most likely fits right between preorder cut off and streetdate unfortunately, its probably quite a balancing act ordering a reasonable number of dvds based on the number of people who have ordered by the wholesale order date and extrapolating it forward to find the number you need on street date,.. I'm sure it goes wrong now and then. Same thing happened with me Naked Gun and Terminator 2 UE (but that was with DVDExpress)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My only complaint would be that the packaging they use is not of the highest quality so make sure to inspect your DVD's when you get them.(but the shipping is free)
Kyle -- How bad was the packaging? I recently had to return an order (another vendor; not DVD) due to damage, and would prefer to avoid the hassle. Thanks
------------------
SAM

KyleS

Screenwriter
For example my X-files season 3 box set was in the box by itself and the packing slip. No bubble wrap or anything to soften the sides or protect it if something were to go through the box. Then again I havnt had an issue like that through them yet but it could happen. I know there customer service is top notch so if you have a problem they would probably fix it right away.
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks