What's new

Harvey Weinstein allegations; who's next when it comes to allegations? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My feelings too. Another habitual abuser out of the way, but many more to be ousted. I don't understand how these rapists were able to get away with this crap for so many years. Something is broken in our society and we need to fix it.

I heard somewhere that Moonves is still being kept on as a “consultant” for like another year or two to assist with the transition of whoever takes over. Any truth to this?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I heard somewhere that Moonves is still being kept on as a “consultant” for like another year or two to assist with the transition of whoever takes over. Any truth to this?
After the second Ronan Farrow article, I highly doubt it.

The creator of "Designing Woman" has an article in the Hollywood Reporter about how Moonves stymied her career for seven years after taking over as CBS president.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Was Argento’s claims the basis of what got Weinstein charged in NY? Not to defend Weinstein, but if she was the one, how could the case against him possibly commence?
Fair point, but Asia Argento's the tip of the Harvey Weinstein iceberg. I guess we'll see, eventually.

CHEERS! :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Fair point, but Asia Argento's the tip of the Harvey Weinstein iceberg. I guess we'll see, eventually.

CHEERS! :)

I definately get the tip of the iceberg thing, but if the NY charges were based solely on Argento, I can’t imagine how this case isn’t completly shot as technically all the other accusations against him are not on trial in NY.

Cosby, as I understand, was convicted based on only one victim.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I definately get the tip of the iceberg thing, but if the NY charges were based solely on Argento, I can’t imagine how this case isn’t completly shot as technically all the other accusations against him are not on trial in NY.
I don't know where things stand now, but as of early July Weinstein has been indicted on six separate felony counts involving five different women. The charges were brought by the Manhattan D.A.'s office, so the crimes would have had to have taken place in New York County. Argento's allegations relate to acts that were committed at the Cannes film festival, along the French Riviera.

It's worth noting two quick things: 1) It's possible to be both a victim of sexual assault and a perpetrator of sexual assault. 2) No district attorney is going to prosecute a sexual misconduct case on the basis of one person's allegations. I am sure there is collaborating evidence on all six of those counts. Juries are notoriously skeptical when it comes to rape cases, and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard is a high one to clear. Weinstein has protections in the New York Supreme Court (which, because New York is New York, is actually the state trial court, not the highest appellate court) that he doesn't have in the court of public opinion.

I would bet that less than 5 percent of the men taken down by #MeToo will end up facing criminal charges, much less a conviction. I do think we'll be seeing civil cases against some of these guys, where the burden of proof is lower.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't know where things stand now, but as of early July Weinstein has been indicted on six separate felony counts involving five different women. The charges were brought by the Manhattan D.A.'s office, so the crimes would have had to have taken place in New York County. Argento's allegations relate to acts that were committed at the Cannes film festival, along the French Riviera.

Ok, so I guess that means it’s stlll “game on” as far as Harvey is concerned

It's worth noting two quick things: 1) It's possible to be both a victim of sexual assault and a perpetrator of sexual assault. 2) No district attorney is going to prosecute a sexual misconduct case on the basis of one person's allegations. I am sure there is collaborating evidence on all six of those counts.

1. True, but assuming the charges against Weinstein was based solely on Argento’s claims, the defense would use the perpetrator allegations to completly destroy her credibility. And how do you get around that?

2. Absolutely false. Duke LaCrosse, enough said. And while not a legal case, don’t forget the Rolling Stone UVA blunder as well. There will always be someone willing to attempt to capitalize on a sensational case no matter how dubious.

I would bet that less than 5 percent of the men taken down by #MeToo will end up facing criminal charges, much less a conviction. I do think we'll be seeing civil cases against some of these guys, where the burden of proof is lower.

Probably

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
1. True, but assuming the charges against Weinstein was based solely on Argento’s claims, the defense would use the perpetrator allegations to completly destroy her credibility. And how do you get around that?
It would depend on whether the allegations against her would be admissible or not. But I don't think her case was strong enough to proceed with even before the allegations came out against her. And there's the added factor that French courts operate under an inquisitorial system, so the whole flow of the trial will be different.

2. Absolutely false. Duke LaCrosse, enough said.
My assertion was rooted in the fact that many prosecutors have become gun shy about he-said she-said allegations in direct response to the Duke Lacrosse case falling apart, and memories of the Tawana Brawley mess.

And while not a legal case, don’t forget the Rolling Stone UVA blunder as well. There will always be someone willing to attempt to capitalize on a sensational case no matter how dubious.
That falls more under the court of public opinion, however. A massive hit to that publication's credibility.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I think you're absolutely correct in this, and it's also a horrible and sad thing. It's not surprising that a victim of sexual abuse went on to abuse another, it's a sad consequence. The Argento story isn't fucked up, it's a horrible fucking tragedy. And men like Weinstein are ground zero

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks