What's new

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I know the feeling, I watched the first movie in the theater, liked it a lot, but since I was caught up in LOTR fever at the time, never gave it much thought afterwards, to the point where I completely ignored the sequels.

The trailer for GoF in front of Serenity last fall revived my interest, so I picked up the books. I breezed thru the first in a matter of hours (I wanted to get to stuff I didn't know), and was quite shocked by the painstaking fidelity of the movie. But it's the very underrated CoS which got me hooked on this series. It is such a tight mystery worthy of Agatha Christie herself IMO. The movie however I am not too fond of. Anyway, the rest, as they say is history (a short one, tore thru all the books in a couple of weeks, all the wile wondering why it took me so long to join the bandwagon...)

--
H

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I don't think Columbus' direction of the first movie is horrible, but the general treatment of plot, character development, acting and story in Chamber of Secrets is nigh unwatchable. The book succeeds because it is a mysteryadventure but Columbus was clearly clueless on how to balance the two while adapting the book to the screen. I think Cuaron would have been MUCH more suited to Chamber and Mike Newell would have made a better Azkaban. I think Newell knocked it out of the park with Goblet of Fire, there's a few minor issues with the adaptation, but it's the first one that really maintained every element at an exceptional level.

I think the biggest challenge facing the HP films is the producers. I imagine if they backed off a little bit and let a little bit of breathing room be worked into the films (just five-ten minutes would have done WONDERS for Azkaban and Goblet scattered throughout the movie, nothing as major as a peter Jackson EE) and you'd pretty much get to as good as we could hope for (there's too much machine gun hollywood propulsion to transitions and discovery/learning sequences in Azkaban and Goblet and those feel like producer decisions to me).

But I imagine in ten years Warner will set up a mini series event partnering with the BBC and do a six hour per book year by year miniseries or shoot a ten hour series that will cover two years. It's too valuable a property not to tap for a new generation, but I wouldn't expect anything before 2020 or so.

Adam

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. Even if you did them on the cheap, there's still the sheer logistics of maintaining the same cast for 7+ years. If they can finish the movie series with the same cast, that will be an unprecedented accomplishment. Not to mention a ~18 hour accumulated running time. I think they'll be able to repurpose this series for decades and decades to come.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Leaky cauldron has a transcript of the teaser trailer before 'Happy Feet' next Wednesday:WB logo, flying through the clouds.
Sirius Black: "Things have changed Harry. Voldemort's biding his time, gathering his followers."
CUT TO:Sirius in Grimmauld Place
Sirius Black: "These are dangerous times, you need to be extra careful."
CUT TO Dumbledore standing before a huge wall of court stands
Dumbledore: "Surely you can appreciate the danger we are all in....you cannot ignore the signs.."
CUT TO Shot of a window bursting, glass shattering everywhere.
Hermione: "The Minister wants to discredit you, he's scared of Dumbledore."
CUT TO Harry overlooking the Pensieve
CUT TO Hermione; she looks scared
CUT TO Ron.
Harry: "Why does nobody believe me?"
CUT TO Hagrid with big bruises all over his face, smiling at Harry
Dumbledore: "Please join me in welcoming our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."
CUT TO Umbridge at the podium in the Great Hall.
CUT TO Shot of a feather quill approaching Harry
Umbridge: "Little boys must learn not to tell lies."
CUT TO Harry in a room with Snape learning Occlumency
Snape: "Concentrate Potter, your mind is weak."
CUT TO Harry
Harry: "I am not weak."
CUT TO Snape close up scowling
Snape: "Then prove it!"
CUT TO: Bellatrix in a huge corridor, grinning insanely
Rest here

Josh.C

Second Unit
I like the feel of the last 2 movies in this series, but for all my best efforts, still cannot overcome Gambon in the role of Dumbledore. I can't think of another actor that has botched up a part like he has. I often wonder if he has even read the books. Poor, poor, judgement in casting if you ask me, and something that really takes away from a GREAT, GREAT series. They nailed just about every other part. There will never be another Richard Harris, but they could have done so much better.

Sorry, it just really bugs me every time I think about it. I will continue to try to move past it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Adam S, that is one heck of a theory you've unearthed. JKR has said that there is a big twist in the final book that will polarise opinion and this might just be it. It certainly makes more sense than
Harry dying or Neville being the true hero
both of which are a little too obvious IMHO.
The other possible plot that's been hinted at all the way through is
Ron is corrupted by the offer of riches because he's fed up of being poor

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Fucking Bad Ass

That's the first Harry Potter poster I'd like to own.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
That theory is very interesting and would definatey make for some good material, particularly in the movie.

It would be awesome to see

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Bonnie Wright, the actress who plays Ginny Weasley in the Harry Potter films, switched on the Christmas lights on Marylebone High Street yesterday. I know a lot of you think she's looked too young for the part in the previous films, so when I ran across a pic I thought I'd post it to see if your opinion has changed:

Any doubts I had have dissolved, as long as they don't take too long to get started on Movie 6.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Awesome! I am going to see Happy Feet with a big group of parents and kids tomorrow night. The HP&tootP trailer has me even more excited about going!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hiring John Williams for the first film was the best move they could have made. "Hedwig's Theme" is becoming as recognizable as the themes to Superman and Starwars. A blind person could have known that trailer was Harry Potter, just by that little riff of theme at the end. Perfect.

Gabriel>P

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree. To me that is the Potter theme, and when I didn't hear it at the beginning of GOF I was pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks