What's new

Harman Kardon 7500 and 8500 (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
New information regarding the upcoming HK 7500 and 8500. Note that both will only have five channels of amplification.
From the website:
"Both the AVR-7500 and 8500 although being both 7.1 multi channel receiver, will only have 5 channels of amplification built-in. In order to get full 7.1 amplification a 2 channel amplifier, such as the new Harman/Kardon PA-2000 will be required.
The reason behind this is that it is physically impossible for fit an extra two Audiophile grade channels of amplification which produce a true minimum of 100w RMS each with 45 amperes of current in the same box as the AVR-7500 or 8500 without making these receivers’ size totally impractical or compromising the quality of the amplification. Harman/Kardon felt that it would more convenient, as well as not to degrade the sound quality, for the additional channels required for 7.1 surround sound to be available separately.
Furthermore it allows those who want 7.1 technology, but who are not going to use it immediately, the cost saving of 2 channel amplification, which can be purchased at a later time."
http://www.audioimports.com/newslett...y2001NewsL.htm
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 04, 2001 at 07:20 PM]

MarkO

Second Unit
Makes sense to me, harman/kardon's version of a 100x5 intergrated has always had a larger chasis than most. I think they have made the right desicion in not going cheap on the amp section trying to stuff seven chanels into an intergrated.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Makes sense to me, harman/kardon's version of a 100x5 intergrated has always had a larger chasis than most. I think they have made the right desicion in not going cheap on the amp section trying to stuff seven chanels into an intergrated.
Agreed! Maybe this explains why some complain about the 7 channel Denon receivers (3801/3802) actually weighing a few pounds lighter than their 5 channel counterparts. While 7 channel receivers are possible, it makes you wonder how many corners are being cut by Denon and others. I applaud HK for not wanting to take the chance of degrading the sound quality of their great amps.
------------------
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Does anyone know how many watts per channel the 7500 will have-it's not listed.Thanks.
------------------

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
While 7 channel receivers are possible, it makes you wonder how many corners are being cut by Denon and others.
I was thinking about this, too. Does this mean that the 3802 specs are "inflated?" How were they able to make such high powered 7-channel receivers without compromise? What can we infer from HKs statements? (Sorry, I couldn't help but muse aloud.)
blush.gif

------------------
SAM

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Kevin --
The website mentions that it will probably be the same as the 7000.
Stereo Mode, Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel:
------
110 Watts per channel, 20Hz - 20kHz, @

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Thanks Samuel-I guess that would account for why it states
"AVR 7500=AVR 7000+..."
wink.gif
What about some updates to their lower end equivalents such as the AVR 310 & 510? I hope they're not just updating one single model(AVR 7000)and adding a model(AVR 8500)--that's not exactly what I would consider a new line of receivers.I'd also like to see them release some new lower end(ie.less expensive)models that would include Dolby Pro-Logic II.I'd hate to have to buy a high-end model just for that one feature.
------------------
[Edited last by Kevin L K on September 05, 2001 at 08:28 PM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
What about some updates to their lower end equivalents such as the AVR 310 & 510? I hope they're not just updating one single model(AVR 7000)and adding a model(AVR 8500)--that's not exactly what I would consider a new line of receivers.
Great point, Kevin. I haven't heard anything, but if I do find something, I'll be certain to share! :)
------------------
SAM

Denis K

Agent
Samuel and Kevin,
There is a model 520 on the way. :) It was supposed to be out this month, but has been delayed for a few months. It will have DPLII, but I was unable to get info on what else it will have. Got the scoop directly from HK. I did not check on a 320 model.
BTW, I am curious to hear from anyone who has done a comparison of the 510 and the Marantz 7000 (now 7200). I know which sounds "better" is purely subjective, but would be interested in hearing assessments of the basic differences in their sound characteristics.
Thanks,
Denis

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hi Denis --
I've listened to both, but only remember my positive impressions of the HK. I'm sorry I don't have any notes; but I'm replying to encourage you to listen to VHS, cable, and other regular analog sources through the HK's Logic 7 mode. For me, this was the DSP that sealed the deal. I continue to be amazed by the pans I get while watching regular TV and VHS. Let us know what you choose!
------------------
Best, Sam

Denis K

Agent
Thanks, Sam. Here's some more info I dug up that may be of interest to HK fans. It was released on 9/3.
Harman Kardon: Five new receivers are the company's first with Dolby Pro Logic 2, and the top three are the company's first with DTS ES Discrete and Matrix. The top-end THX Ultra-certified model is the company's first with THX EX decoder. All five feature MP3 decoding, and the top two add HDCD. All five have five-channel amps and EZ Set circuitry to automate the setup of all speaker levels.
The top three models also feature a 7.1-channel version of Lexicon's Logic 7 technology, which derives a 5.1- or 7.1-channel soundfield from stereo and matrixed two-channel sources.
The top three models are priced at a suggested $799, $999 and $2,799. New models planned for next year will bridge the price gap, the company said.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Denis-Thanks for the updates.I'm a HUGE fan of H/K receivers.Please keep us updated-I really appreciate it :)
As far as a comparison of the 7000 and the 510 I can't give you an opinion because I have not heard the 7000,but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.As a former owner of the 510--it's the best sounding receiver I've ever owned.Crystal clear and very warm sounding.I just really got hooked on the sound and was very happy with it.Hope this helps.
------------------

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Great news!!!! I can't wait
biggrin.gif

------------------
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question for you h/k users. I am looking for a new reciever and i was checking out the denon 3802 but theres 2 things that bother me about it.
1. It can only pass one signal at a time for example if your watching tv. through the s-video switching you cant listen to the radio at the same time. I know this might not be importnant to some people but it drives me nuts. (my 200 dollar kenwood reciever im using now does this so i dont want to drop a thousand on a reciever that doesn't
2. It gets terrible fm/am reception.
I am just wondering how the h/k is in these two regards to these. I listen to the radio quite a bit so id like to have a good signal in my new reciever.
Thanks guys for the input and exuse the errors its late and im a little drunk!
Rob

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HK AVR500 and it can play an audio source while showing a different video source. You select the video source first, then select the audio source.
Henning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks