Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Hacksaw Ridge

Tagline: One of the greatest heroes in American history never fired a bullet.

Genre: Drama, History, War

Director: Mel Gibson

Cast: Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Vince Vaughn, Teresa Palmer, Luke Bracey, Hugo Weaving, Ryan Corr, Rachel Griffiths, Richard Roxburgh, Luke Pegler, Firass Dirani, Goran D. Kleut, Nathaniel Buzolic, Ori Pfeffer, Matt Nable, Jacob Warner, Richard Pyros, Ben Mingay, Harry Greenwood, Damien Thomlinson, Robert Morgan, Milo Gibson, John Batziolas, Mikael Koski, Charles Jacobs, Ben O'Toole, James Lugton, Tim McGarry, Tyler Coppin, Dennis Kreusler, Nico Cortez, Helmut Bakaitis, Bill Young, Benedict Hardie, Santo Tripodi, Darcy Bryce, Philip Quast, James Mackay, Sam Parsonson, Sean Lynch, Hayden Geens, Tim Potter, Santo Tripodi, Nobuaki Shimamoto, Laurence Brewer, Hiroshi Kasuga, Yuki Nagashima, Taki Abe, Taka Uematsu, Yoji Tatsuta, Thomas Unger, John Cannon, Georgia Adamson, James O'Connell, Jim Robison, Milan Pulvermacher, Yasushi Asaya

Release: 2016-10-07

Runtime: 139

Plot: WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people and becomes the first Conscientious Objector in American history to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Early reviews are very positive
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/0...l-gibsons-act-atonement-gruesome-and-powerful

''You’ll be hearing the word “comeback” a lot in reference to Mel Gibson and his latest directorial effort, Hacksaw Ridge.

The World War II film premiered at the Venice Film Festival this weekend and marks Gibson’s return to the cinematic helm since 2006’s Apocalypto. He’s stayed under the radar since then — not because of harsh reviews, but because of an anti-Semitic rant that still mars his career. Now, he’s moving forward with a potential awards contender that Variety critic Owen Gleiberman called “an act of atonement.”

Andrew Garfield stars as Desmond Doss, a pacifist who enlists in the army but refuses to carry a weapon. He even runs defenselessly into the Battle of Okinawa, one of the bloodiest battles of the war, and saves 75 fellow soldiers. Doss later becomes the first conscientious objector to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. Despite the character’s beliefs, Hacksaw Ridge is a bloody affair, which is nothing new for Gibson’s body of work."

Really looking forward to this film.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have genuine reservations with Mel Gibson as a human being BUT he is an excellent film maker and actor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have genuine reservations with Mel Gibson as a human being BUT he is an excellent film maker and actor.
Yeah, he has his failings as a human being, but I tend to enjoy all of his films. With his bigoted shortcomings, it's amazing that Jodie Foster thinks the world of him. Maybe, she sees a different side of him. Over the years, I've been able to compartmentalize many of my favorite actors that I don't share a lot of common ground regarding their various beliefs. It's strange that actors like Wayne, Eastwood and Gibson are held in such high regard to me as actors and filmmakers.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
’Mel Gibsons ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Rivets With 10-Minute Ovation At World Premiere – Venice

http://deadline.com/2016/09/mel-gib...remiere-venice-film-festival-2016-1201813416/

"After wowing critics at early morning press screenings on Sunday, Mel Gibson’s pacifist World War II action drama, Hacksaw Ridge, had its red carpet world premiere out of competition at the Venice Film Festival last night. The film played to a roughly 10-minute standing ovation — long standing-Os are not as common a happenstance on the Lido as they are at some other festivals. At about six minutes into the ovation, Gibson and the actors were asked to go down into the audience. Check out the photos from inside the Sala Grande below (outside, some fans greeted Gibson with their faces painted blue, Braveheart-style).

Last edited:

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I was very impressed with this trailer. I thought it was sad/funny that it had to say "From the director of Braveheart" rather than just saying it was directed by Mel Gibson.
I really wish him well and pray that this film meets expectations!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Gibson's terrific in BLOOD FATHER, which is worth renting on VOD.

Agreed! And after watching that, I decided to try Get The Gringo, since it was on Netflix. GIbson co-wrote it. If you liked Payback, I think you'll like Get The Gringo too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have Get the Gringo on Blu-ray. Liked it a lot! I will be getting Blood Father too.

I just watched Signs last night - haven't seen that in years. He's so good in it. I also ordered Ransom, and Payback from the UK (their Blu has both versions of the movie, I only have one of the two cuts on DVD so it was worth the upgrade).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched Signs last night - haven't seen that in years. He's so good in it. I also ordered Ransom, and Payback from the UK (their Blu has both versions of the movie, I only have one of the two cuts on DVD so it was worth the upgrade).
That's funny, yesterday I also ordered Payback from the UK for the same reason.:cheers:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing. The interviewer smartly waited until about halfway through the interview to bring up Gibson's trainwreck period, pressed him politely and firmly when he encountered reluctance, and then moved on once it was clear Gibson has said all he was going to on the subject. Interesting that Gibson talks about safeguards when he drinks; if I'd done the things he's done and experienced the consequences he's experienced, I think I'd abstain from drinking altogether.

I also enjoyed his thoughts about the ballooning budgets for superhero tentpoles, particularly Batman v Superman. It's flummoxed me that "Supergirl" can showcase effectively everything of all the powers you'd expect to see in a Superman movie and produce 45 minutes of content for a couple million dollars while a feature that is four times as long costs 80-90 times as much.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Opens Friday. Currently 100% with Top Critics at Rotten Tomatoes.

Seeing it Friday morning. Anyone else?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am an atheist and I say that only to preface my remarks about Signs. I found the religious aspects of Signs presented so sincerely without being preachy that I enjoy the film each time I watch it and am engrossed by the spiritual struggles that Gibson's character goes thru.

Hope this doesn't violate the forum rules.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Opens Friday. Currently 100% with Top Critics at Rotten Tomatoes.

Seeing it Friday morning. Anyone else?
Doctor Strange is first up at 10:00 a.m. on Friday as I make a road trip to the nearest IMAX Theater about a 90 minute round trip. If I'm not too tired I might this film later on Friday, but if not, definitely Saturday morning.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks